Goodbye Tyler Kolek

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Appears to be deceptively athletic. I'm excited to see if we run him at the 1 or the 2. Hopefully he keeps that shot when he gets here.

Part of me still wants to scream roster management but I like this signing even if it doesn't address a pressing need we have.

OP
dr. gunnie

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Appears to be deceptively athletic. I'm excited to see if we run him at the 1 or the 2. Hopefully he keeps that shot when he gets here.

Part of me still wants to scream roster management but I like this signing even if it doesn't address a pressing need we have.

Same. It's a gamble, but if you feel like this is a kid that gives you something that we really need (and we have needed outside shooting help), then you gotta do it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Same. It's a gamble, but if you feel like this is a kid that gives you something that we really need (and we have needed outside shooting help), then you gotta do it.

Plus, we do lose 3 guards in the next two years through graduation. So we bring in Xavier, Kolek, and Polite to replace them. Daddy is probably going to be a 3/4 just like Miller.

This puts a lot of pressure on JDS more than anyone.

Still need a big in either this class or the next. If we wind up waiting for 2021, will need more than one big, with at least one who can play the 4 and 5 I would guess. Would prefer we get one in 2020 and one in 2021 to balance out the classes at that position.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Plus, we do lose 3 guards in the next two years through graduation. So we bring in Xavier, Kolek, and Polite to replace them. Daddy is probably going to be a 3/4 just like Miller.

This puts a lot of pressure on JDS more than anyone.

Still need a big in either this class or the next. If we wind up waiting for 2021, will need more than one big, with at least one who can play the 4 and 5 I would guess. Would prefer we get one in 2020 and one in 2021 to balance out the classes at that position.

Guards adapt to college basketball faster than bigs. We need to sign a big fast, so they have time to develop before we really need one.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Kolek saw his college interest increase significantly, earning offers from the likes of Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Brown, Bryant, Columbia, Lehigh, Bucknell, Pennsylvania, Wofford and more.

ephoops

Starter
I like the signing for several reasons:
  • Kolek can shoot, he's athletic and he has a pretty good handle.
  • He will need to add strength/bulk to compete against some of the guards in the A-10, but that should come with time.
  • I think he's more likely a "2" in DP's system, especially with Hartwell, Johnson and Polite in the program.
  • I like the to see a recruit coming out of the New England prep system. While the DMV has great players, the NEPSAC always has a rich talent pool. I believe Hutchins will help in this regard as well given his contacts and connections in New England.
  • I like that DP is tapping into his relationship with Crotty at the Middlesex Magic AAU program.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like the signing for several reasons:
  • Kolek can shoot, he's athletic and he has a pretty good handle.
  • He will need to add strength/bulk to compete against some of the guards in the A-10, but that should come with time.
  • I think he's more likely a "2" in DP's system, especially with Hartwell, Johnson and Polite in the program.
  • I like the to see a recruit coming out of the New England prep system. While the DMV has great players, the NEPSAC always has a rich talent pool. I believe Hutchins will help in this regard as well given his contacts and connections in New England.
  • I like that DP is tapping into his relationship with Crotty at the Middlesex Magic AAU program.
NEPSAC also has really good athletes that tend to go to our direct A-10 competition. would be nice to see at least one athletic big signed.... NEPSAC is great don't get me wrong but we aren't signing the guys our comp are... Cox is an ace recruiter at Rhody.... didnt even offer.. hopefully his loss but damn I would love one of Rhodys big recruits

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For those who are interested, below is a link to some game highlights for Kolek.

The most recent video includes highlights from St. George's win over Rivers on Saturday Jan 25th. You can see Kolek hitting corner 3's at 1:12 and 1:17 of the video.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/st-georges-dragons-(middletown,ri)/basketball/videos.htm

Thanks for sharing. I know you can’t compare two recruits or the type of competition apples to apples, but any idea what would make him different and/or better than JDS was in high school? Just seems like JDS was a knockdown shooter then, but it didnt’ translate to D1. I just hope it works out for Kolek.

From my understanding, Kolek and Polite are supposed to be very very good. Stating the obvious, but I did hear a comparison that made me very intrigued.