GMU: Where Construction is Tradition

Nisquith99

Four-star Recruit
Master plan said they build dorms on Lot K with more dorms on campus we’ll have a Healthier On campus culture and more students that will go to the games

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Watched the first episode and couldn't get past the over-the-top voice dubbing like the old Kung-Fu movies. Everyone sound like they're from Nebraska and recording a radio spot w/the enthusiasm.

"Oh my God, it's a fire.....sale."

I've a Korean friend that says a lot of the show's nuance is missed in translation.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Watched the first episode and couldn't get past the over-the-top voice dubbing like the old Kung-Fu movies. Everyone sound like they're from Nebraska and recording a radio spot w/the enthusiasm.

"Oh my God, it's a fire.....sale."

I've a Korean friend that says a lot of the show's nuance is missed in translation.

I actually watch some Korean series on Netfllx as well as some Japanese ones because they have interesting stories. I prefer to hear them in the original language with English subtitles.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Master plan said they build dorms on Lot K with more dorms on campus we’ll have a Healthier On campus culture and more students that will go to the games

We already have a lot of dorms on campus - we do need some additional academic and athletic buildings - like a building for the school of economics, a new basketball arena, a real tennis center, and some recreational facilities.

Nisquith99

Four-star Recruit
We already have a lot of dorms on campus - we do need some additional academic and athletic buildings - like a building for the school of economics, a new basketball arena, a real tennis center, and some recreational facilities.
I saw the zoom meeting and in the master plan they said they would build a rec center where the old student apartments were. The presentation focused a lot on trying make campus less commuterish and more lively, they also said they were gonna knock down the 4 original buildings so that it would create like a quad or lawn

Nisquith99

Four-star Recruit
A private company is also building a off-campus student housing apartments with like 800 beds in downtown Fairfax between 123 and University Dr behind the Safeway that is set to open for fall of 2022. It's in a prime location so it would see more GMU students walking through old town to get to campus, which hopefully ushers some change because finding a place to rent in FFX that won't break the bank is hard, I only found a good place this year because I live in my frat house.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
A private company is also building a off-campus student housing apartments with like 800 beds in downtown Fairfax between 123 and University Dr behind the Safeway that is set to open for fall of 2022. It's in a prime location so it would see more GMU students walking through old town to get to campus, which hopefully ushers some change because finding a place to rent in FFX that won't break the bank is hard, I only found a good place this year because I live in my frat house.

My daughter goes to Liberty and there is a development like that. She has a townhouse she shares with two other girls - each bedroom has its own combo lock, bathroom, walkin closet and a desk/work area. They have a really nice kitchen, family room, dining room on main floor and a patio. Its like 600 a month for each person. These were built specifically for students.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Apparently there will be some significant development on the Prince William Campus.

“We’re going to be creating a new front door for Mason’s campus,” said Truett Young, Stanley Martin’s vice president of land for the D.C. region. “Without having a town center and amenities like this, it’d be impossible for them to attract the faculty, staff and students they need for future growth.”

Nisquith99

Four-star Recruit
Apparently there will be some significant development on the Prince William Campus.

“We’re going to be creating a new front door for Mason’s campus,” said Truett Young, Stanley Martin’s vice president of land for the D.C. region. “Without having a town center and amenities like this, it’d be impossible for them to attract the faculty, staff and students they need for future growth.”
The new master plan said they were gonna make Prince William and Arlington primarily graduate students and bring some of the stuff back to fairfax to that it would the main undergrad campus

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The new master plan said they were gonna make Prince William and Arlington primarily graduate students and bring some of the stuff back to fairfax to that it would the main undergrad campus

I thought Arlington was basically just the law school already? I also remember they were putting a bunch of money into it to support the Amazon HQ2, would make sense to put some graduate tech and business stuff there.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I thought Arlington was basically just the law school already? I also remember they were putting a bunch of money into it to support the Amazon HQ2, would make sense to put some graduate tech and business stuff there.
I wouldn't say just the law school, but they have several grad programs that make sense to be closer to both the Law School and DC (Schar School-Public Policy; Econ; etc.).

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This is awesome!
The current off campus housing options suck

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed. I always wished that Mason would just start buying up homes on University Drive to push the old farts out.
Now, now. Should you be fortunate enough to live long enough to become an old fart, your perspective may change.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They should buy all the homes in the Kelley Drive neighborhood and then tear them down
Back in my day, (yeah, I know) before I had my own wheels (what us old farts used to call cars), I walked a mile from my house in Vienna to the Metro bus stop on 123 (Maple Ave.) rode bus 5K to Mason, walked past the old gym, across the soccer field, through the woods, across 123, down to the end of Kelley Dr. where the Economics Dept. was located in a brick house, put in my work study hours, then retraced my steps home...2-3 days a week during my entire freshman year.
And in case anyone is wondering, yes, it was uphill both ways, and no, I didn't have shoes, and yes, there was always a headwind and it was always snowing.