GMU: Where Construction is Tradition

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Absolutely agree --- and if you got out of four years of college education with only 25K in debt - count your lucky stars. My cousin went to Boston College for a marketing degree and had 85K in debt graduating the same year I did. I did far better than she did.

Full load at Mason with everything is 23K a year. Considering that includes room board and book with tuition - Im good,
Yea, definitely hear ya. I graduated in 2013 with about $30k in debt, could be a lot worse. And again, I loved my time at Mason and don't regret it for a second.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Fairfax West Campus Workshop concluded yesterday: http://facilities.gmu.edu/campus-planning/planning/fairfaxwestcampus/

One of the four alternatives proposes building a new basketball arena; looks like Field House would move farther west with most options being considered: http://facilities.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/052319_Meeting-sCHEME-iNTRO.pdf

Looks like we are using Georgia Tech's Tech Square as a model; hopefully we can duplicate their success.

They're thinking of trying to build another hotel? Is that wise?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Absolutely not, Businesses will never want to use the hotel as a conference center unless they want to make it nicer then the Gaylord, or MGM.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Absolutely not, Businesses will never want to use the hotel as a conference center unless they want to make it nicer then the Gaylord, or MGM.
not just those but bigger brands like the Ritz in Tysons (very nice and surprisingly large conference hall/plus smaller conference rooms)... Mason acting silly again

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
not just those but bigger brands like the Ritz in Tysons (very nice and surprisingly large conference hall/plus smaller conference rooms)... Mason acting silly again
And there is nothing in a close in proximity that would attract tourist.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The conference space at the Mason Inn was too small (or at least the largest ballroom was), some events that Mason academic departments wanted to host ended up being over-crowded and had to move off campus. And the rooms were too expensive for visiting families (not worth the large extra cost for a small increase in convenience) but yet they didn't get enough business / academic guests to cover costs. I don't know if any hotel is viable, but they certainly built the wrong size/scale/class of hotel last time around.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
And there is nothing in a close in proximity that would attract tourist.

Given where the hotel is in relation to the arena, I'm not sure it would be meant to service tourists.

And agree with MasonFanatic, there is no need for an on-campus convention center. There is plenty of space already on-campus to hold academic conferences.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Where do you see a "new" hotel? Looks to me that the building marked "Hotel" in the Ox Bridge scheme is the same building where the original hotel was/is. What am I missing?

Perhaps the plan calls for that building to be rededicated as a hotel.

masonjoe

Starter
Fairfax West Campus Workshop concluded yesterday: http://facilities.gmu.edu/campus-planning/planning/fairfaxwestcampus/

One of the four alternatives proposes building a new basketball arena; looks like Field House would move farther west with most options being considered: http://facilities.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/052319_Meeting-sCHEME-iNTRO.pdf

Looks like we are using Georgia Tech's Tech Square as a model; hopefully we can duplicate their success.

I don't see anything on there about building a new basketball arena

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't see anything on there about building a new basketball arena

The first option has a new arena, moved slightly west over next to the hotel. And then the field house and rec fields are moved further west as well. I wonder what happens to the proposed soccer stadium in option 1's situation?

But that's the only option with a new arena.

masonjoe

Starter
The first option has a new arena, moved slightly west over next to the hotel. And then the field house and rec fields are moved further west as well. I wonder what happens to the proposed soccer stadium in option 1's situation?

But that's the only option with a new arena.

"New athletic center" could be a new field house

JPgmuswim

Starter
Those layouts are interesting to see. I wonder if way down the road we have what looks like a blend of a few of them. They kind of help map out what land it owned and which directions we can go.

I haven't been on campus in a few years, did they ever build the tunnels or walking bridges over/under Oxbridge to connect the west side of campus?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
So jealous - I had 10 meals a week my freshman year, constantly had to fill up gallons of milk and ziplock bags when leaving chao hall.

The way that boy eats its worse every penny ---- I actually have saved more money on groceries than that plan costs.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I haven't been on campus in a few years, did they ever build the tunnels or walking bridges over/under Oxbridge to connect the west side of campus?

Yes, the tunnel and road were finished over a year ago. The road eventually connects with Braddock west of 123 so its a good way of avoiding that intersection if you are heading that direction.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Has the practice facility work started? Friend of mine posted a Snapchat from inside the cage with the caption "RIP" and it looked like some construction crews were in there.