GMU: Where Construction is Tradition

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What is Phase 2? How many phases are there?

Phase II is an expansion onto the RAC, about 14,500 sq. feet to include offices for the coaches, dedicated locker rooms for the basketball teams, and a screening room.

Look like Phase I is supposed to cost us $1 million...

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I love this part of the statement:

"This kind of infrastructure improvement is critical, because the success of our basketball program ultimately provides increased exposure opportunities that are necessary to recruit prospective students to George Mason. This national recruitment supports the growth of our institutional research mission which ultimately strives to increase prosperity and improve quality of life in Northern Virginia."
Front door to the university

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Phase II is an expansion onto the RAC, about 14,500 sq. feet to include offices for the coaches, dedicated locker rooms for the basketball teams, and a screening room.

Look like Phase I is supposed to cost us $1 million...
Was Phase 1 basically just kick out general students and put a lock on the door where only players and coaches know the code to get in?

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Was Phase 1 basically just kick out general students and put a lock on the door where only players and coaches know the code to get in?
This is Phase 1

"The "Cage Gym" in the Recreation Athletic Complex (RAC) will undergo a comprehensive, $1-million renovation that will include significant enhancements to the existing space, including the installation of new hardwood courts, new lighting, six basketball goals, video capabilities and George Mason Patriots branding.

The 15,000-square foot space will feature a Robbins MVP Hardwood surface that will span the size of two basketball courts, which includes a full center court surrounded with two half courts on both sidelines. Robbins Sport Surfaces supplies hardwood courts for 90 percent of NBA teams' competition and/or training facility floors.

In addition, all of the baskets are replicas of the EagleBank Arena basketball goals used for all home games. A lighting system will replace the existing lighting in the "Cage Gym" that will exceed NCAA recommendations by 25 percent. New Musco Lighting will be installed at EagleBank Arena as well, allowing for an improved game day atmosphere, before the start of the 2017-18 basketball season."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mason's T. Boone Pickens probably hasn't even been born yet.

Given the university's growth and ambition, it will happen at some point.

I just hope I live long enough to see the day Mason has an eight-figure individual donor.

How about a 9 figure (a la Michael Bloomberg's $1 billion gift to Johns Hopkins)?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
For $1billion? "Arena" singular?

You could run the entire athletic department forever on an endowment created with the remaining money even after building a $150 million arena while reducing student fees to zero.

That's fantasy talk, of course, but, hey, sometimes its nice to dream.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
You could run the entire athletic department forever on an endowment created with the remaining money even after building a $150 million arena while reducing student fees to zero.

That's fantasy talk, of course, but, hey, sometimes its nice to dream.

While we're at it, a practice facility with a bowling alley and 3 bedroom luxury apartments for every player attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
For $1 billion we could build an arena AND start a football team

Even then, unless we get into the AAC, I don't want football. It's the only non-P5 conference that wouldn't force us to sacrifice basketball to play in a lesser football conference (AAC football is pretty good, too). But that would require them to want to expand to 14 members.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Even then, unless we get into the AAC, I don't want football. It's the only non-P5 conference that wouldn't force us to sacrifice basketball to play in a lesser football conference (AAC football is pretty good, too). But that would require them to want to expand to 14 members.
With 1 billion dollars I think we could go SEC football haha (even though I think ACC football is just as good). I wouldn't mind playing SEC basketball either. Become rivals with Vanderbilt.