GMU: Where Construction is Tradition

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Has the practice facility work started? Friend of mine posted a Snapchat from inside the cage with the caption "RIP" and it looked like some construction crews were in there.

I'm not sure it's related to the practice facility or not, but on the second floor, the treadmills are being moved away from the front corner (windowed) side to over in front of the other tv sets. Apparently they are building another classroom in the area where the treadmills used to be.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://gomason.com/news/2017/6/29/m...s-dedicated-basketball-practice-facility.aspx

FAIRFAX, Va.— Assistant Vice President and Director of Athletics Brad Edwards has announced that construction of the dedicated George Mason University Basketball Practice Facility commenced on June 1, as part of phase I of the Basketball Excellence Plan to enhance recruiting and student-athlete development.

The Basketball Excellence Plan, which also includes a complete overhaul of the teams' locker rooms at EagleBank Arena, is an important step toward making Mason more attractive for top recruits within the increasingly competitive national landscape.

A leadership gift of $275,000 from George Mason longtime supporter Kathy McKay and her family and commitments from other Patriots donors enabled Mason to fund the project. In gratitude of the lead gift, the basketball practice court as well as a locker at EagleBank Arena will be named after the McKay Family.

"Although we haven't yet realized the entire fundraising goal, we have hit the threshold to begin construction, which is more than 50 percent of the total budget," said Edwards. "It is critical that we have the practice facility project completed before the start of the basketball season in November. In the basketball-driven Atlantic 10 Conference, it is imperative that our basketball teams have a dedicated space to develop and compete.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
http://gomason.com/news/2017/6/29/m...s-dedicated-basketball-practice-facility.aspx

FAIRFAX, Va.— Assistant Vice President and Director of Athletics Brad Edwards has announced that construction of the dedicated George Mason University Basketball Practice Facility commenced on June 1, as part of phase I of the Basketball Excellence Plan to enhance recruiting and student-athlete development.

The Basketball Excellence Plan, which also includes a complete overhaul of the teams' locker rooms at EagleBank Arena, is an important step toward making Mason more attractive for top recruits within the increasingly competitive national landscape.

A leadership gift of $275,000 from George Mason longtime supporter Kathy McKay and her family and commitments from other Patriots donors enabled Mason to fund the project. In gratitude of the lead gift, the basketball practice court as well as a locker at EagleBank Arena will be named after the McKay Family.

"Although we haven't yet realized the entire fundraising goal, we have hit the threshold to begin construction, which is more than 50 percent of the total budget," said Edwards. "It is critical that we have the practice facility project completed before the start of the basketball season in November. In the basketball-driven Atlantic 10 Conference, it is imperative that our basketball teams have a dedicated space to develop and compete.
Well that's awesome!

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I love this part of the statement:

"This kind of infrastructure improvement is critical, because the success of our basketball program ultimately provides increased exposure opportunities that are necessary to recruit prospective students to George Mason. This national recruitment supports the growth of our institutional research mission which ultimately strives to increase prosperity and improve quality of life in Northern Virginia."

Good to know this project will improve the quality of life of everybody in Northern Virginia.

Mason slays me. Wonder where the rest of the $ will come from, since we're only 50% there for a project to be completed in November.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
"New Musco Lighting will be installed at EagleBank Arena as well, allowing for an improved game day atmosphere, before the start of the 2017-18 basketball season."

Hopefully a light show for the intros then.

http://www.musco.com/sports/sports.html

Indoor Arena Solution
Show-Light Green reduces energy consumption, while improving playability. Instant on/off capabilities further enhance player introductions and halftime entertainment—offered with an HID or LED light source.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Got out of work to see ground has been broken on a practice facility and that god awful lighting is being replaced. Time to f**king celebrate!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What is Phase 2? How many phases are there?

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Whole point is to give the players a court they have access to 24/7 365 days a year. Phase 1 accomplishes that so I'm good with it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk