GMU: Where Construction is Tradition

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Only after four bourbons and a whiskey shot. Although - I also think I can sing too which goes against the laws of physics and most standards of good taste.

Next you're going to say that it's inappropriate for me to stand up in my speedo during games and sing Barry Manilow songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Next you're going to say that it's inappropriate for me to stand up in my speedo during games and sing Barry Manilow songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell no! That would be an inspiring act of fandom. I will do the trumpet accompaniment wearing a diaper and a sash.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Just saw the BOV raised tuition by 5%, someone's gotta pay for those new athletic facilities!
Someone has to pay for Darrell Green's salary. I understand networking and fundraising takes time. But I'm becoming impatient. I haven't heard of any big time donations yet.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Considering we are (were?) the cheapest option among the big state schools while operating in the highest cost of living part of the state, it was way overdue. Faculty turnover was super high and according to Tom Davis this is almost all going to funding raises for professors. Unfortunately you don't get to play both the role of academic powerhouse and the role of budget school. You have to pick one or the other.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Considering we are (were?) the cheapest option among the big state schools while operating in the highest cost of living part of the state, it was way overdue. Faculty turnover was super high and according to Tom Davis this is almost all going to funding raises for professors. Unfortunately you don't get to play both the role of academic powerhouse and the role of budget school. You have to pick one or the other.

Having a son that is going there --- I am fine with this. For what he is getting in a degree - its still very affordable with that increase. Glad it is going to professor salaries.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Having a son that is going there --- I am fine with this. For what he is getting in a degree - its still very affordable with that increase. Glad it is going to professor salaries.

Entry level salaries for the lower level professors (adjunct, instructor, lecturer) were pretty low, from what I saw.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
College tuition increases, in general, are getting to be crazy. I don't think I would have gone to Mason had the tuition been what it is today, 8 years ago (for out of state). I'd be buried in even more student loan debt than I already am - and I graduated 4 years ago.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
College tuition increases, in general, are getting to be crazy. I don't think I would have gone to Mason had the tuition been what it is today, 8 years ago (for out of state). I'd be buried in even more student loan debt than I already am - and I graduated 4 years ago.

I would agree that continuous tuition increases are idiotic. But in fairness to Mason they have been very restrained in this area - very restrained. If this tuition increase goes to attract and keep quality professors --- then I am for it.

Like I said my son is at Mason full time on campus with the top end meal plan and it is VERY affordable and he is getting a software engineering degree. As of now Mason's tuition is very competitive compared to other state schools in VA and the area.

My daughter is looking at schools for Nursing (including Mason) and looking at one school in NC and another in Pennsylvania and even Liberty its almost 50%-60% more expensive than Mason.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As long as you are going in-state and are a reasonable student (i.e. can get a scholarship or two), going to a state school is relatively affordable between scholarships, pell grants, student loans, and whatever your parents can kick in.

I went out of state to Mason and I still only wound up with $25k in student loans, which is about the price of a standard mid-sized sedan, not too bad (Graduated early to mid-2000s to give everyone a sense of time scale).

And if you're an excellent student, even better. My wife got a full ride to a private school and graduated debt free.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
As long as you are going in-state and are a reasonable student (i.e. can get a scholarship or two), going to a state school is relatively affordable between scholarships, pell grants, student loans, and whatever your parents can kick in.

I went out of state to Mason and I still only wound up with $25k in student loans, which is about the price of a standard mid-sized sedan, not too bad (Graduated early to mid-2000s to give everyone a sense of time scale).

And if you're an excellent student, even better. My wife got a full ride to a private school and graduated debt free.

Absolutely agree --- and if you got out of four years of college education with only 25K in debt - count your lucky stars. My cousin went to Boston College for a marketing degree and had 85K in debt graduating the same year I did. I did far better than she did.

Full load at Mason with everything is 23K a year. Considering that includes room board and book with tuition - Im good,

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would agree that continuous tuition increases are idiotic. But in fairness to Mason they have been very restrained in this area - very restrained. If this tuition increase goes to attract and keep quality professors --- then I am for it.

Like I said my son is at Mason full time on campus with the top end meal plan and it is VERY affordable and he is getting a software engineering degree. As of now Mason's tuition is very competitive compared to other state schools in VA and the area.

My daughter is looking at schools for Nursing (including Mason) and looking at one school in NC and another in Pennsylvania and even Liberty its almost 50%-60% more expensive than Mason.
People forget that Mason was far behind other state schools in terms of cost. 5% increase sound harsh until you put it in context. Mason has some top end faculty in some fields, wouldn't make sense to let them walk over pricing. If people want a better school, they're gonna have to pay for it. And by being better, Mason will probably start to catch up in the amount of cash the state gives us.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
People forget that Mason was far behind other state schools in terms of cost. 5% increase sound harsh until you put it in context. Mason has some top end faculty in some fields, wouldn't make sense to let them walk over pricing. If people want a better school, they're gonna have to pay for it. And by being better, Mason will probably start to catch up in the amount of cash the state gives us.

Its a good ole boy system. No reason Mason shouldn't be top funded 4 year university in the state just based on its georgraphic location and what it can accomplish.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Its a good ole boy system. No reason Mason shouldn't be top funded 4 year university in the state just based on its georgraphic location and what it can accomplish.
Oh for sure. But as NoVa continues to outpace the rest of the state in growth they're gonna have less and less choice but to up funding. And I'm sure as time goes on we'll see more of our alum in the state legislature.