Giving day 2019

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
The women's team got into the NIT last season and won a game also. They also had a wnba draft pick. They deserve to get more than the men's team. Oh and they have the A10 POY this season.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The promotion for this effort was pretty lousy. While I see the Green Machine posting videos and celebrating hitting goals (they deserve our money too), this barely gets 60 percent of what they tried to get and incredibly lower from last year.

Not good at all. I’m quite puzzled by the lack of effort promoting giving day this year.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They said the locker room would be done at the beginning of the season. Gave no updates on it the entire season and then ask for more money bc it's not done. Not surprised it didn't hit it's goal.

That's the kind of NOVA cynicism I've come to know and loathe.

This was a very successful day for women's basketball, wrestling and baseball, however. The wrestling program made out like bandits at close to $13,000.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023

This was a very successful day for women's basketball, wrestling and baseball, however. The wrestling program made out like bandits at close to $13,000.
So there needs to be no accountability from them?

If the description for the funding had read, we sincerely apologize to our fans. We had said that the lockers would be done by the beginning of last season but for so and so reasons it did not. We also take responsibility for not updating our fan base on it's progress for so and so reasons. We will step it up this time around and get this project done with the proper updates.

I would have given the $5K myself.

Last edited:
OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

There is something weird going on because considering all the promotion and video that happened for the first two years of giving day for basketball, to go very quiet for the 3rd day (and a project that was year 2's donation project) is a bit odd. Its great the other sports did pretty well, but considering last year there was 52k raised for basketball, and this year they don't even come close to 5k for the goal, it seems a bit odd.

Somethings gotta give here. There really should have been promotion about the need for the additional 5k, showing what they have, showing what they need etc. A bit more effort was needed as yesterdays effort just felt "bleh". I'm just really puzzled.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Its embarrassing to have to ask for 5k for something everyone was led to believe was finished. That's also why they didnt want to publicize it. Needless to say, there are alot of loose ends in the AD.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

something something Arizona St something something Dave Paulsen is a nice guy something something

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
something something Arizona St something something Dave Paulsen is a nice guy something something

Just saying, refusing to donate to something because the AD doesn’t fall on their knees and apologize to you is pretty cynical.

Saying everything about the school is awful is also pretty cynical.

Trashing every player on the team is pretty cynical.

Trashing all of our recruits or potential recruits is pretty cynical.

Trashing the head coach and all the assistant coaches is pretty cynical.

Trashing our facilities and game day atmosphere on every thread is pretty cynical.

There is criticism and then there is cynicism and there is a lot of cynicism on this board and there is a lot of cynicism baked into NOVA culture.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just saying, refusing to donate to something because the AD doesn’t fall on their knees and apologize to you is pretty cynical.
hey man I donated today begrudgingly after I already donate during the season. would imagine the NOVA contingent on these boards probably donated more compared to the out of towers (and we actually have to watch these shitty games in person)

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don’t even think everyone on this board donated, which is pretty sad (I’ll excuse Brian because he has his reasons).

Us out of towners should be donating more on giving day because we don’t go to games, that’s the way I see it anyway. I usually donate once in January and once on giving day to something.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The women's team got into the NIT last season and won a game also. They also had a wnba draft pick. They deserve to get more than the men's team. Oh and they have the A10 POY this season.

Sorry to go off subject but speaking of our POY, while not trying to take away from her accomplishment as I've seen her play several times in person and she's really good. But did she get POY just because she scores a lot?

She averages 35 shots a game, has a FG percentage of .369% and .277% from the 3. Has an assist/turnover ratio of .714. From a stat perspective, those aren't impressive numbers at all.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Us out of towners should be donating more on giving day because we don’t go to games, that’s the way I see it anyway. I usually donate once in January and once on giving day to something.

That's an interesting take, because I normally feel the opposite. When people in Northern Virginia donate, most of the time it's because they are getting something in return... better season tickets, gold or green room passes... there is some sort of benefit to them. As an out-of-towner who donates, I really get nothing in return. I struggle with it every year.

I just donated small yesterday to pad the giving numbers, but I have a hard time justifying bigger donations to my wife when we don't get any of the benefits that local fans get. I realize that getting something in return isn't really what the spirit of donating should be - but be honest, how many people would donate what they do if they didn't have to in order to get their season tickets or green/gold room passes?

Like I said, I struggle with it every year.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That's an interesting take, because I normally feel the opposite. When people in Northern Virginia donate, most of the time it's because they are getting something in return... better season tickets, gold or green room passes... there is some sort of benefit to them. As an out-of-towner who donates, I really get nothing in return. I struggle with it every year.

I just donated small yesterday to pad the giving numbers, but I have a hard time justifying bigger donations to my wife when we don't get any of the benefits that local fans get. I realize that getting something in return isn't really what the spirit of donating should be - but be honest, how many people would donate what they do if they didn't have to in order to get their season tickets or green/gold room passes?

Like I said, I struggle with it every year.
My feelings exactly.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I am guilty of some of that, admittedly. But you're just wrong about the $5K thing.

I am all for giving but to ask for 5k to finish a project is embarrassing.

I gave a couple grand last year with much enthusiasm. Now I hear them saying “oh yeah, we’re almost there, just a couple of more bucks!”

It's like a contractor quoting me 8K as the price to upgrade my fence. They say it will take a week. Two weeks later I ask them why is my fence not finished? They reply "we need 1200 more bucks". But they don't tell me why or for what.

Whether you agree or not, the AD does owe donors explanations and updates. It's not a dificult thing to do. It takes one email blast, one text blast, social media blast etc.... that would take 5 minutes to write up.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I am guilty of some of that, admittedly. But you're just wrong about the $5K thing.

I am all for giving but to ask for 5k to finish a project is embarrassing.

I gave a couple grand last year with much enthusiasm. Now I hear them saying “oh yeah, we’re almost there, just a couple of more bucks!”

It's like a contractor quoting me 8K as the price to upgrade my fence. They say it will take a week. Two weeks later I ask them why is my fence not finished? They reply "we need 1200 more bucks". But they don't tell me why or for what.

Whether you agree or not, the AD does owe donors explanations and updates. It's not a dificult thing to do. It takes one email blast, one text blast, social media blast etc.... that would take 5 minutes to write up.

All this. At the very least have brad write a letter sharing an update.