Giving day 2019

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So Thursday April 4th is giving day at Mason. You guys have probably seen the advertisements for it.

For basketball specifically they are asking for another 5k to help finish up the locker room project. I have heard it’s mostly done, being shown off, but obviously there’s some loose ends. 5k is really nothing and as a fanbase we should be able to come up with that. Even 5 or 10 dollars can help. Last year there was 52k raised towards the locker rooms.

I was also told that the next phase of the basketball excellence plan is planned to be kicked off in the fall. I don’t know what it entails but my gut tells me it’ll be for the second phase of the practice facility.

Hope everyone plans to give something on Thursday and hopefully get beyond the 5k needed. If it’s anything to help the program win a few bucks can help.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was also told that the next phase of the basketball excellence plan is planned to be kicked off in the fall. I don’t know what it entails but my gut tells me it’ll be for the second phase of the practice facility.
Max Baker told me that's what it is.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Max Baker told me that's what it is.

Not surprised. He just said phase 3 in the email I got back from him when I asked about giving day being about the locker rooms again haha.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
The school can't front up $5k to finish a project they said would be finished at the beginning of last season. Straight up embarrassing.

P.S. Max Baker is a joke. Dude refused to let me move down one row because there were four seats open and I could only fill 3 of them. Well those seats were left empty for the season and I sat in them anyways.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The school can't front up $5k to finish a project they said would be finished at the beginning of last season. Straight up embarrassing.

P.S. Max Baker is a joke. Dude refused to let me move down one row because there were four seats open and I could only fill 3 of them. Well those seats were left empty for the season and I sat in them anyways.

I'm pretty sure the school has fronted a lot of other money for the entire project from my understanding, but I knew I could count on someone to crap on the intent of my post on here. I sure hope you'll help towards the 5k instead of just complaining.

Also Max doesn't do ticket arrangements so you probably should take your beef up with James, you know the person who could actually make decisions on that stuff.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm pretty sure the school has fronted a lot of other money for the entire project from my understanding, but I knew I could count on someone to crap on the intent of my post on here. I sure hope you'll help towards the 5k instead of just complaining.

Also Max doesn't do ticket arrangements so you probably should take your beef up with James, you know the person who could actually make decisions on that stuff.
I front up $5K every season for this team, do you?

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I front up $5K every season for this team, do you?

I don't, but that's not the point of this topic. The point of this topic was to mention that giving day is coming up and how to help the program.

I'm glad to hear that you give 5k to the program yearly.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm sure they need a lot more than $5K. That's just the first goal for Thursday. That's how viral fundraising works. You set an achievable goal so that people feel like their contribution matters and is moving the needle. When you hit the $5K, it unlocks the next goal, and so on. Most of the Giving Day campaigns last year seemed to have 3 tiers of goals.

I for one am happy that the school is trying 21st century approaches to bringing in money. We're still way behind most of the A10 when it comes to outside donor support, and we should be applauding the administration for trying to fix this, rather than throwing rocks.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm sure they need a lot more than $5K. That's just the first goal for Thursday. That's how viral fundraising works. You set an achievable goal so that people feel like their contribution matters and is moving the needle. When you hit the $5K, it unlocks the next goal, and so on. Most of the Giving Day campaigns last year seemed to have 3 tiers of goals.

I for one am happy that the school is trying 21st century approaches to bringing in money. We're still way behind most of the A10 when it comes to outside donor support, and we should be applauding the administration for trying to fix this, rather than throwing rocks.

I also believe the 5k goal was set because there is a matching donation from someone.

They did the same thing last year with the practice facility (think it was 10k?) and then Kathy McKay dropped 250k for it.

But yeah, Giving Day is designed to capture small dollar donors, students, and young alumni, so the goals are really small and achievable. This is only the second year we have done it. Not sure why it took the university so long to start one.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s the third year but yeah, I think like both of you said, they’ll have a few goals to hit. No clue if it’ll be just for the locker rooms or whatever but regardless.

Plink833

Preferred Walk-On
Here's a giving day idea...why don't we make a $100k donation to the department by getting rid of Darrell Green. Seriously. I know most ppl on this board grew up Redskins fans so you have a blind spot when it comes to him, and that's fine...but what does this guy do? He was at less than half the men's games this year. I was at every women's game, I saw him twice. He was often tweeting on home gamedays for MBB that he was somewhere else for his own foundation.

Where are all the big donors and corporate sponsors this guy was supposed to bring in? From what I hear from the GMU AD we are hiring our 3rd corporate sponsor rep in a year. Some guy who was fired by Bradley. Bradley. I thought Darrell was going to open doors for us. Seriously...what has this guy ever done for Mason besides sign an autograph for people so they can walk away star struck and turn a blind eye to what a suck of money and joke this guy is?

From GoMason.com: "
Green has been hired as an Associate Athletics Director, Special Assistant to the Athletic Director. In this role, Green will work with the department's senior leadership to build and enhance internal and external relationships, engage in fundraising initiatives and collaborate and communicate with constituents across the community."

Can someone point to one thing he's ever done that relates to this release? What a GD joke.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For anyone who cares roughly 950 of the 5k for the first goal was raised last time I looked, around 8am

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
From what I hear from the GMU AD we are hiring our 3rd corporate sponsor rep in a year.
This is true.

However, given the significant turnover Learfield has seen at Mason, the property is actually performing quite well given the attendance/attention challenges they face. The Learfield/IMG College merger should help with bringing in more national money. In my opinion, Mason's biggest selling point is its size and local alumni base, which will be highlighted in national sales conversations.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The fact we have 150k local alumni and they won't donate 100 bucks each is pathetic.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
ASU had 9,300 donations on their giving day, to expect 150,000 is kinda insane.

I donated this morning. Last year, I donated to the scholarship fund, this year to the basketball facilities.

I’ll admit I have no idea what are targeted goals on this stuff so I’m pretty clueless. But anything and everything is always good.