Giving day 2019

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Problem is the new tax laws disincentivize giving out any benefits to donations because then they becomes non-tax deductible (not that a ton of people itemize anyway).

If we are talking about the same thing, that has always been the case. I always had to deduct the amount that represented getting something in return. The statement that came from Mason indicated the amount that was pure donation and the part that was not deductible.

Is there something else you are talking about?

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
At a minimum, they could have Darryl Green send a signed thank you note to each person that donates. Then everyone would have something autographed by Darryl Green and we would be getting some visible value out of his salary.

It's long been known Darrell doesn't do much unless he's paid...you want his autograph, you better stroke a check to his foundation...

Plink833

Preferred Walk-On
At a minimum, they could have Darryl Green send a signed thank you note to each person that donates. Then everyone would have something autographed by Darryl Green and we would be getting some visible value out of his salary.

LOL. That would require mr super bowl champion to actually work at mason and show up at the fieldhouse from time to time.

Keep fooling yourself that Darrell "works" at gmu athletics because it makes you feel good that your childhood hero works at your alma mater. What Brad is doing with him is fraud. He is stealing money from GMU and the commonwealth to help his friend. What a joke.

Plink833

Preferred Walk-On
It's long been known Darrell doesn't do much unless he's paid...you want his autograph, you better stroke a check to his foundation...

PMP isn't wrong. I play in the P Club golf tournaments every year...one in june, one in sept. Mr Super Bowl champ hasn't been at the last 3. For two of them he was posting on his own twitter about being at events for his foundation. The third one, who knows.

Seriously...I challenge people on this board. Drop in on the field house one day this week. See if Darrell is there. If not, try next week. Do it. I dare you. Bro doesn't even have a desk or an office! I asked a long-time employee where he works and he told me he doesn't even have a desk!

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
LOL. That would require mr super bowl champion to actually work at mason and show up at the fieldhouse from time to time.

Keep fooling yourself that Darrell "works" at gmu athletics because it makes you feel good that your childhood hero works at your alma mater. What Brad is doing with him is fraud. He is stealing money from GMU and the commonwealth to help his friend. What a joke.
I believe you may have missed several things in my post and in my history on the boards here:
  • Nowhere in my post did I say work. I said salary.
  • I guess you missed the part where I said we would get some visible value out of his salary. Not sure how you would interpret that as an endorsement of his being an employee of the AD.
  • I have posted several things asking about what value he has provided. Just because I don't come out and blast him and accuse him of things I can't prove, doesn't mean I don't question the situation.
  • I am not a Redskins fan, but, I don't let that blind me from seeing that others might find value in receiving a letter signed by him.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Th
Problem is the new tax laws disincentivize giving out any benefits to donations because then they becomes non-tax deductible (not that a ton of people itemize anyway).

You are probably right in that just having your name on a list under your giving level isn’t really enough.

By the way, total giving on giving day was only $350,000 which doesn’t seem like a lot. Only 1,400 donors, with a target of 2,500 — well short. So it wasn’t just athletics that underperformed.

Last year they raised 287k. So we beat the number with less donors. I bet we beat # of donors had we had a major bball project to get behind. Like the "cash for recruits" fund like Wade set up at LSU. I kid. Lol. Or do I. Haa

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Thanks and both actually. All parties have been super psyched about what we’ve done and continue to do. They always say let us know what you need and help out however they can.
Which region is this group?

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Which region is this group?

NYC. We have a Facebook twitter and instagram. “Mason alumni in the New York City area”. I can get you exact handles for Twitter and Instagram if you’d like.

We’ve had two watch parties, one of which Andre Gaddy (who lives up here) came to. We are also working on doing a group outing in June for a baseball game.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Well, Mason IS paying him, if he isn't doing anything else, he could be signing thank you notes for the AD...

Dude. He isn’t sending you losers a signed letter. Period. That’s my pt. You want something from him? Send $ to his foundation. You guys are clueless.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Dude. He isn’t sending you losers a signed letter. Period. That’s my pt. You want something from him? Send $ to his foundation. You guys are clueless.
You let your hate blind you to my sarcasm...

Plink833

Preferred Walk-On
You let your hate blind you to my sarcasm...
I'll drop it after this...but my point is this. I love GMU. I have two GMU degrees. i met my wife at gmu. I've been a donor/season ticket holder for nearly 20 years. It's not a perfect place, and I wish some things were different. But overall this is a place that means a lot to me. And Darrell Green is STEALING money from this university. He does not work. He barely shows to basketball games. We have an AD who is either blind to it, or doesn't care. And I don't know which is worse.

I've made the decision to stop donating as long as Darrell is employed by GMU. I'll lose my season tickets. So be it. Most games are on TV/ESPN + and i can buy individual games that I want to see. It's not like we have the demand that i'm going to be shut out.

(This isn't some grand statement i'm making on the board looking for sympathy or whatever...it's my personal decision and i'm cool with it)

I cannot believe that our athletic director would have the gall to ask me to increase my donation and contribute to giving day while giving $105k to his 'friend.' We'd be better served if we took the $105k that they pay him and light it on fire and heat the fieldhouse with it. I have spoken with some longtime members of the AD at GMU who tell me that they go weeks without seeing Darrell. Then he'll pop in the office for a couple hours on an afternoon, the SID department will take a few photos for social media to make it look like he's 'always there' and then move on.

It's disgusting and pathetic.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'll drop it after this...but my point is this. I love GMU. I have two GMU degrees. i met my wife at gmu. I've been a donor/season ticket holder for nearly 20 years. It's not a perfect place, and I wish some things were different. But overall this is a place that means a lot to me. And Darrell Green is STEALING money from this university. He does not work. He barely shows to basketball games. We have an AD who is either blind to it, or doesn't care. And I don't know which is worse.

I've made the decision to stop donating as long as Darrell is employed by GMU. I'll lose my season tickets. So be it. Most games are on TV/ESPN + and i can buy individual games that I want to see. It's not like we have the demand that i'm going to be shut out.

(This isn't some grand statement i'm making on the board looking for sympathy or whatever...it's my personal decision and i'm cool with it)

I cannot believe that our athletic director would have the gall to ask me to increase my donation and contribute to giving day while giving $105k to his 'friend.' We'd be better served if we took the $105k that they pay him and light it on fire and heat the fieldhouse with it. I have spoken with some longtime members of the AD at GMU who tell me that they go weeks without seeing Darrell. Then he'll pop in the office for a couple hours on an afternoon, the SID department will take a few photos for social media to make it look like he's 'always there' and then move on.

It's disgusting and pathetic.

Just playing devil’s advocate, but why should it matter to us if Darrell is in the office or not?

My bosses are fine with the fact that I’m hardly ever in the office because they know I produce and I can do the job more effectively when I’m not tied to a desk.

You may be right and Darrell may not be bringing in donations to justify his salary — I don’t think we know that for sure — but if he’s supposed to be working on external relations, it hardly seems his time would be best spent hanging around the field house.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Green is worthless, Big Balls Brad is scared to let Green go because that could hurt brad’s redskins connection.

I don’t think anyone not inside the AD can completely say one way or the other. The only thing we can say is that our corporate sponsorship money has increased a million a year since he has been here (this is in addition to the EagleBank money). Is that Green or someone else or a combination, no clue.

Plink833

Preferred Walk-On
Just playing devil’s advocate, but why should it matter to us if Darrell is in the office or not?

My bosses are fine with the fact that I’m hardly ever in the office because they know I produce and I can do the job more effectively when I’m not tied to a desk.

You may be right and Darrell may not be bringing in donations to justify his salary — I don’t think we know that for sure — but if he’s supposed to be working on external relations, it hardly seems his time would be best spent hanging around the field house.

So - that's fair. And I don't know you, Jim, but I'm gonna guess that whatever you do, you do it well, and you've earned the right with your bosses that they don't care where you are. You produce and get it done.

Darrell does not produce. My issue isn't that he's not at the FH, per se, but that he does no work for our department. you're right in that if he were out meeting with donors, pushing our agenda, then he wouldn't need to be physically in the field house.

But he works on his foundation. He works on his book. He's a motivational speaker. He spends his days furthering his own brand - the Darrell Green brand- not GMU or GMU athletics.

The $105k going to him is such a waste. That money could be spent so much better. Whether it's $105k that goes to men's basketball so that we could move the locker room project along...or buy an extra opponent for the non-conference...or charter to one extra game.

It needs to stay in salaries you say? fine...we are hiring a new top assistant. I imagine we could get a much better assistant by raising our offer by $105k, no? Or let's split it and let two non-revenue sports add two full-time assistants at $50k that are maybe underfunded. Or let's use the $105k to fix the decrepit outfield wall at the baseball field. Or get a new scoreboard.

We are an athletic department that isn't killing it in the cash department. (as referenced up-thread as they were begging for just $5k for the locker room project).

All I'm asking is let's stop wasting more than $100k a year on a guy simply because he won a god damn super bowl with the Redskins two generations ago. Simply because he reminds our AD of our glory years and more people want to talk to him when Darrell is around. It's a GD joke.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess if 105k is going out and Green isnt linked to any money coming in then, it's a valid question to ask Brad. Just email him.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So - that's fair. And I don't know you, Jim, but I'm gonna guess that whatever you do, you do it well, and you've earned the right with your bosses that they don't care where you are. You produce and get it done.

Darrell does not produce. My issue isn't that he's not at the FH, per se, but that he does no work for our department. you're right in that if he were out meeting with donors, pushing our agenda, then he wouldn't need to be physically in the field house.

But he works on his foundation. He works on his book. He's a motivational speaker. He spends his days furthering his own brand - the Darrell Green brand- not GMU or GMU athletics.

The $105k going to him is such a waste. That money could be spent so much better. Whether it's $105k that goes to men's basketball so that we could move the locker room project along...or buy an extra opponent for the non-conference...or charter to one extra game.

It needs to stay in salaries you say? fine...we are hiring a new top assistant. I imagine we could get a much better assistant by raising our offer by $105k, no? Or let's split it and let two non-revenue sports add two full-time assistants at $50k that are maybe underfunded. Or let's use the $105k to fix the decrepit outfield wall at the baseball field. Or get a new scoreboard.

We are an athletic department that isn't killing it in the cash department. (as referenced up-thread as they were begging for just $5k for the locker room project).

All I'm asking is let's stop wasting more than $100k a year on a guy simply because he won a god damn super bowl with the Redskins two generations ago. Simply because he reminds our AD of our glory years and more people want to talk to him when Darrell is around. It's a GD joke.

If the situation is as you are describing it, and Darrell is collecting a six-figure salary as basically a no show job with Edwards’ full approval, I would be absolutely floored.

Darrell certainly doesn’t give off the impression that he’d be hard up enough for money to need to basically steal from a university — and he’d be risking his reputation as a man of faith, which has been a key part of the success of his foundation.

Unless Cabrera is in on it, Edwards also would be risking his career by arranging for a friend to be paid for a job that everyone in the department knows he’s not doing. It would be too easy for somebody to blow the whistle and bring the whole thing crashing down on everybody.

Not saying it isn’t happening exactly as you describe — people do stupid, borderline criminal things every day — but again, I’d be shocked.

Plink833

Preferred Walk-On
If the situation is as you are describing it, and Darrell is collecting a six-figure salary as basically a no show job with Edwards’ full approval, I would be absolutely floored.

Darrell certainly doesn’t give off the impression that he’d be hard up enough for money to need to basically steal from a university — and he’d be risking his reputation as a man of faith, which has been a key part of the success of his foundation.

Unless Cabrera is in on it, Edwards also would be risking his career by arranging for a friend to be paid for a job that everyone in the department knows he’s not doing. It would be too easy for somebody to blow the whistle and bring the whole thing crashing down on everybody.

Not saying it isn’t happening exactly as you describe — people do stupid, borderline criminal things every day — but again, I’d be shocked.

Everything you said is perfectly reasonable. I'm confident that i'm correct based on what several different people in the GMU AD have told me.

I know that there has been a lot of turnover in the AD, especially in external relations, and I'm told that those that left did so partly because they voiced concerns about the Darrell situation.