Games 10 - 12: Diamond Head Classic, Dec 22nd through Dec 25th

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Iowa St vs Iowa currently on ESPNU. Iowa, a 2 pt underdog on the road, is ahead by 5 in the first half. The announcer said that all 5 Iowa St starters can shoot the 3 (might discourage the use of a zone) although they're only 2-7 on 3s in this game.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Iowa St vs Iowa currently on ESPNU. Iowa, a 2 pt underdog on the road, is ahead by 5 in the first half. The announcer said that all 5 Iowa St starters can shoot the 3 (might discourage the use of a zone) although they're only 2-7 on 3s in this game.

Iowa (ranked #23) up by 7 at the half over Iowa St (#17).

polepino

Starter
My faith in gmu bball wants me to believe we can win this but the reality is well probably get spanked like OU did us.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My faith in gmu bball wants me to believe we can win this but the reality is well probably get spanked like OU did us.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Even if they were playing exceptionally well coming in, this was always going to be a tough matchup for Mason. I want to see some pride, some fight and some improvement against ISU and a glimmer of hope that we can take the next two in Hawaii.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Looking at the bracket, not sure how G Mas wins a single game in this tourney. However, there is a good chance POTUS will swing by and catch some action for whatever that is worth.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Obama and Hewitt are similar in some ways. Both are likable and appear to be good guys. Both have gotten to their current positions based on likability and salesmanship, not on achievement or competency.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Obama and Hewitt are similar in some ways. Both are likable and appear to be good guys. Both have gotten to their current positions based on likability and salesmanship, not on achievement or competency.

Yeah, kinda like Dubya too. As far as incompetent coaches, I'm concerned this GMU team peaked just a few games into the season. Last year, despite the soul crushing collapse, the early UNM game gave GMU fans reason for optimism. Unfortunately, excluding the CIT, it was the best they played all year.

UNI just took Iowa State to OT. Problem is, my bet is that Ben Jacobson has figured out what he has to work with on his roster and has adjusted accordingly. We probably got lucky that we played UNI so early, before he had figured things out. We played our most complete game of the year against them, and I do fear it will be GMU's "peak" performance. Hewitt doesn't know how to get the best out of his team however, and the Patriots will probably lose to ISU by 15 despite a neutral court.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
It's times like these where I wish our Athletic Department had some sort of consistent behind the scenes video episodes or interviews with the players/coaches/alumni of the program, etc. Something to keep us engaged during a time like this, despite how poorly we've been playing.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's times like these where I wish our Athletic Department had some sort of consistent behind the scenes video episodes or interviews with the players/coaches/alumni of the program, etc. Something to keep us engaged during a time like this, despite how poorly we've been playing.

The athletic department has 24 sports to worry about on top of everything else they have to do . We can't really expect them to constantly feed the appetites of us basketball fans with new content every day.

However, a good dedicated beat reporter and a few fan bloggers who do more than aggregate news would be great (and I know how tough it would be to get clearance to interview current student-athletes on the record so I'm not suggesting anyone here try that).

Would also be nice to set Gobo and Ric Wilson up with a weekly podcast. That's something our AD could do.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
The athletic department has 24 sports to worry about on top of everything else they have to do . We can't really expect them to constantly feed the appetites of us basketball fans with new content every day.

Big time programs, at least up in the tri-state area, all have basketball programs on the sports channels like SNY and MSG. I'm not asking for something every single day or nearly as in-depth as the big boys. Something to engage the fans on a slow week of hoops or during long breaks like this. My life won't change if they never pursued this idea, I just think it'd be cool if they had something. A video feature story/interview/recap once a week wouldn't take a lot of effort. Then again, minimal effort is a lot of effort for George Mason basketball.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Big time programs, at least up in the tri-state area, all have basketball programs on the sports channels like SNY and MSG. I'm not asking for something every single day or nearly as in-depth as the big boys. A video feature story/interview/recap once a week wouldn't take a lot of effort. Something to engage the fans on a slow week of hoops or during long breaks like this. Then again, minimal effort is a lot of effort for George Mason basketball.

Getting on TV would require the TV stations to care. Do we even have a radio deal outside of WGMU Radio?

Give Bill Rohland and Ric Wilson a weekly podcast. They can interview whoever they want (current athletes, former, coaches, assistants) and throw it up. The question is, do either of them want to commit the time to it?

Otherwise, you've got WGMU Radio, GMU TV and Broadside (with Fourth Estate Sports) to try to convince them to do something (I know, I know, student generated content can be painful).

And there are people here who write articles, there's GMUHoops.com, the rare and occasional Steven Goff report (I think we're about fourth on his priority list of stories to cover) -- maybe we can convince Courtside Seats to come back?

You are right, though, none of the people who are covering us right now are doing enough.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You are right, though, none of the people who are covering us right now are doing enough.
Why would they? And I'm not just trying to be a negative jerk, either. Seriously, why would they? Would it really help their bottom line at all to have more Mason coverage?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Why would they? And I'm not just trying to be a negative jerk, either. Seriously, why would they? Would it really help their bottom line at all to have more Mason coverage?

I'm not talking about the Post or any outside media source, screw their bottom line. I'm saying the Athletic Department could do some in-house stuff to keep us more engaged. The occasional articles on GoMason.com are nice and all, but some behind the scenes feature videos would be pretty cool. There are a ton of things they could do, and it's obviously not just limited to the Men's Basketball program.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
It really doesn't matter....honestly, I'm just bored and wish we had games.

uhhhh....did I just say that?!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I don't know, but my guess is Steven Goff wouldn't be covering our games if The Post saw zero value in George Mason's readership.

As for the Courtside Seats blog, this is why our students suck...can't carry on traditions. The student doing The Fourth Estate does almost nothing.

My guess is if Ryan Kish did more with GMUHoops, he might see a better return on that investment, but that's just a guess.

As for why the AD doesn't do more behind the scenes stuff themselves? Maybe our coaches don't want any cameras behind the scenes?