Games 10 - 12: Diamond Head Classic, Dec 22nd through Dec 25th

JBiggs

Starter
Pablo, if he takes 1 second of PT away from Jalen, that's a monumental blunder.

But I could see a scenario where Jenkins effectively plays the 5 and AO takes minutes away from J2 and Copes, neither of whom are giving us anything on either end of the floor right now.

If I got to set our rotation, here's what I'd go with:

STARTERS
C -- Jenkins
PF -- Marko
SF -- Wright
SG -- Allen
PG -- Moore

NEXT 5
C -- Copes/J2, whoever is sucking less
PF -- Okoloji
SF -- Gray
SG -- Holloway
PG -- Edwards
This is the exact lineup I have in my head. I think it will be the best lineup going forward, despite the potential for some growing pains in the interim.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This is the exact lineup I have in my head. I think it will be the best lineup going forward, despite the potential for some growing pains in the interim.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Let's be honest, this team isn't going anywhere. It's just not.

May as well play the young bigs major minutes and get them experience for next season.

If Wright and Allen aren't producing, get them out and play both Gray and Holloway, too.

Those guys are the future of this program. And really, if they regularly turn the ball over and blow assignments, what have we lost? A chance to play in the CBI again?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

May as well play the young bigs major minutes and get them experience for next season.

If Wright and Allen aren't producing, get them out and play both Gray and Holloway, too.

Those guys are the future of this program. And really, if they regularly turn the ball over and blow assignments, what have we lost? A chance to play in the CBI again?

My sentiments exactly. And it's not like we lose a ton of scoring if Copes and J2 play less. By no means am I saying sit all the upperclassmen for the sake of doing so, but we should definitely reward the younger guys who deserve to play more even if it is at the expense of players with more experience.

I am thinking we see a different J2 the 2nd half of the year. Keep in mind, he didn't just sit the last 18 game of the season and then pick up a basketball and start working out again. From what my "sources" have whispered to me, (or really what was said by coaches, etc) J2 didn't even get cleared to start full time practice until after midnight madness. So he's barely 2 months into coming back after being out for 9 months.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
While I'm all for giving sufficient PT to underclassmen so they can develop quickly (and I think Hewitt should be commended for this), the primary goal is to win games. I'm just not ready to write off this season.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
While I'm all for giving sufficient PT to underclassmen so they can develop quickly (and I think Hewitt should be commended for this), the primary goal is to win games. I'm just not ready to write off this season.

OK, Pablo, what do you see as the best possible outcome for this team? NIT?

We're certainly not making the NCAA tournament.

Everything else is just conversation.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

As much as I agree with you, it's not like the CAA where if we fell flat in the out of conference all hope was lost. We've got a much tougher schedule. It's still possible to move into postseason consideration depending on how we do in A-10 play.

But for all intents and purposes, we're going to play poorly in the A-10 and this team is going nowhere.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I would consider the NIT a victory at this point, I really would, but even that would require us to finish in the top 5 I'd think, of the A-10, we might be able to sneak in finishing 6th, but we're going to have to do something with these last OOC games. I don't know if that's possible with this team.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

I could certainly accept the NIT at this point in the season. So, do we agree that we don't want to get better on the loss side of the ledger?

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's clear the 2nd game will be difficult too. Oregon State beat Towson by 9 last night and Akron beat Detroit by 19. Perhaps GMU can get a win against Hawaii or South Carolina in the 7/8 game. Sigh. I've gone from wanting the best matchups for RPI purposes in this tournament to just hoping they can get a win.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's clear the 2nd game will be difficult too. Oregon State beat Towson by 9 last night and Akron beat Detroit by 19. Perhaps GMU can get a win against Hawaii or South Carolina in the 7/8 game. Sigh. I've gone from wanting the best matchups for RPI purposes in this tournament to just hoping they can get a win.

When you look around and you don't see other teams that are the RPI drag, you know what that means you are. I'm sure people are looking to avoid us for that reason.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Who other teams beat is meaningless. UNI just beat vcu and we beat UNI. None of that has any bearing on our game against vcu later in the year.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This has GMU on the west coast (vs Long Beach St) 1995 written all over it. Except I don't think any of our current players are going to get ejected for flipping the finger on national TV.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This has GMU on the west coast (vs Long Beach St) 1995 written all over it. Except I don't think any of our current players are going to get ejected for flipping the finger on national TV.

If one of our guys quits the team after the game, stays out west to pursue an acting career and winds up banging Tyra Banks, we can say Mason got "Marcaccinied."