Games 10 - 12: Diamond Head Classic, Dec 22nd through Dec 25th

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
The entire bracket can be found here:
http://espnevents.com/diamond-head-classic/bracket/ or http://espnevents.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/pdf/2013_Diamond_Head_Classic_Bracket_ET.pdf

Schedule/TV info is here: http://preview.espnevents.com/diamond-head-classic/news-and-updates/gametime-network-information/

Game 1 is against Iowa State at 5:30 EST/12:30 HST on ESPNU on Dec 22nd.

Iowa State has a 7-0 record, beating 7th ranked Michigan (at the time) on Nov 17th, and a common opponent, beating Northern Iowa in OT on Saturday 91-82. Iowa State plays Iowa on Dec 13th on ESPNU at 9:30 EST. Stats can be found here: http://www.cyclones.com/fls/10700/STATS/MBB/2013-14_MBB/teamcume.htm?DB_OEM_ID=10700

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I've watched ISU play 3 times this year and what stands out is the intensity, hustle, and a great mix of size + athleticism at every position.

Interestingly enough though, they struggled with a much less athletic team in UNI's man to man defense. ISU trailed almost the entire game until it went into OT. In OT, ISU asserted their will and won by 9.

If Mason can do the same, maybe we can stay within 20 if we are lucky.

Prediction: ISU takes it 82-65 if we play our best game of the season. If we play our normal way, 58-90 ISU.

Yossarian

Sixth Man
So many holes in the dike... but perhaps plugging just a few is all we need to shift momentum. For instance:

-Holloway spends an extra 90 minutes before and/or after practice working on his 3 shot. That's supposed to be his money maker. Let's keep ourselves hard to defend against.
-Marko gets harassed/defended by Copes in scrimmages every practice to work on that close hook shot from the paint (or near it) that he is so fond of botching. He is missing the bucket under pressure more and more frequently, as of late (compared to our first few games this season, it seems).
-Jenkins gets three more minutes per game to develop. We need to sharpen that knife now, before we're too deep into conference play.

Those three things might be enough to put some teeth back into our offense. I'm tired of watching long stretches of games with no points scored (by us).

Lots more could be done, but I think those might be the simplest, most low-hanging fruit to go after right now.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
So many holes in the dike... but perhaps plugging just a few is all we need to shift momentum. For instance:

-Holloway spends an extra 90 minutes before and/or after practice working on his 3 shot. That's supposed to be his money maker. Let's keep ourselves hard to defend against.
-Marko gets harassed/defended by Copes in scrimmages every practice to work on that close hook shot from the paint (or near it) that he is so fond of botching. He is missing the bucket under pressure more and more frequently, as of late (compared to our first few games this season, it seems).
-Jenkins gets three more minutes per game to develop. We need to sharpen that knife now, before we're too deep into conference play.

Those three things might be enough to put some teeth back into our offense. I'm tired of watching long stretches of games with no points scored (by us).

Lots more could be done, but I think those might be the simplest, most low-hanging fruit to go after right now.

How about players working on mid-range pull-up jump shots?

Yossarian

Sixth Man
How about players working on mid-range pull-up jump shots?
Well, sure. But I didn't want to overwhelm our coaches and players with more than three suggestions. Perhaps even that was asking too much.

Hell, just ONE of my first two suggestion might be enough to make a big difference. If BOTH of them were taken by the team, I'd be f'n thrilled.

All kidding aside, I think the team's shooting skills need "refinement". I suggest a tortuous practice regimen where a tally of missed shots in practice scrimmages for each player is maintained and then applied to a corresponding number of shots (with some multiplier, say... 20) after practice, with 20 pushups in-between each set of shots. Then, adjust for players who take fewer shots by increasing the multiplier to 25 or 30. That way, you're stressing the "weaker" shooters more.

Sincerely,
Armchair Quarterback.

JBiggs

Starter
ISU is currently second nationally in scoring (91.7), fourth nationally in rebounds (46.3), third nationally in assists (19.9), and 33rd nationally in FG percentage (49.3%). Don't think we're going to pull that one out.

Hopefully we can win one or both of the remaining games, and hopefully we can keep it within 30 against ISU.

Bricker

Starter
ISU is currently second nationally in scoring (91.7), fourth nationally in rebounds (46.3), third nationally in assists (19.9), and 33rd nationally in FG percentage (49.3%). Don't think we're going to pull that one out.

Hopefully we can win one or both of the remaining games, and hopefully we can keep it within 30 against ISU.

Good lord. I'm having visions of uncontested layups. Oh, the humanity...

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
signanorm and were talking about the movie "Miracle" on Facebook, and it struck me that this is the type of practice the team should have had after yesterday's lackluster game.

Pipedream. That coach was a notorious taskmaster. Our coach...well, not so much....

ISU is going to roll us. It's that simple.

Last edited:

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Unless the Cyclones eat bad pork at a luau the night before we stand literally no chance. Truthfully this is the first game I can remember thinking this way about in... maybe forever. Every other ranked team we've played over the years I believed that if we did certain things we might be able to hang around and steal one. This game I truly cannot fathom us being competitive. They are going to score 100. At our very best I think we can put up 75.

We probably steal a win in one of the other games. My guess is Anali doesn't make the trip (we're still paying for the CBI bill) and possibly joins Arledge in the stands at the Penn game.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Normally you'd expect a team like ours to come out with some fire, make the hustle plays and keep it close...but we just had Oklahoma in our backyard and rolled over.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
If IA State comes to play then G Mas will lose by double digits. I really think some on here need to temper their expectations of the program at G Mas. Yes, they made the Final Four, out of nowhere, in 2006 and THAT IS GREAT. No one can take that away from them. However, I feel that some of the "fans" expect this team to win 25 games every year and participate in the NCAA Tourney. That is not just ridiculous, it's insane.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If IA State comes to play then G Mas will lose by double digits. I really think some on here need to temper their expectations of the program at G Mas. Yes, they made the Final Four, out of nowhere, in 2006 and THAT IS GREAT. No one can take that away from them. However, I feel that some of the "fans" expect this team to win 25 games every year and participate in the NCAA Tourney. That is not just ridiculous, it's insane.

No offense, but you are full of shit if you think any of our fans expect to win 25 games and participate in the NCAA tournament every year. If we did, Hewitt would be gone already.

I know you think we should be content to be the cute little program that once made the Final Four. Not speaking for anyone else, but I'm not going to apologize for expecting better than that.

It's not ridiculous or insane to expect to make the tournament once every 3-4 years at our level, and barring some major improvements, that is clearly not going to happen. Hence, the unhappiness expressed so often on this board.

But thanks for chiming in...

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
No offense, but you are full of shit if you think any of our fans expect to win 25 games and participate in the NCAA tournament every year. If we did, Hewitt would be gone already.

I know you think we should be content to be the cute little program that once made the Final Four. Not speaking for anyone else, but I'm not going to apologize for expecting better than that.

It's not ridiculous or insane to expect to make the tournament once every 3-4 years at our level, and barring some major improvements, that is clearly not going to happen. Hence, the unhappiness expressed so often on this board.

But thanks for chiming in...

That Final Four is more than most will ever achieve, especially at the level of basketball G Mas plays (mid-Major). I just think everything else is gravy, but I see your pt.

Bricker

Starter
New league, new expectations. No more excuses once we get a year or two of A-10 play under our belts. Personally, I would like to at least be at least in the mix for an at-large/NIT bid every other year. NCAAs once every 3 years at least. That's the kind of consistency we need to grow the program.