Games 10 - 12: Diamond Head Classic, Dec 22nd through Dec 25th

Pablo

Hall of Famer
It seems to me that most agree that the AD needs to be someone who networks so they can be a fund raiser. Kevin doesn't strike me as that given that since in all the years I have been hanging around Mason basketball, I have never once met him in person.

If we stayed internal, I would vote for Adam Brick

I agree that he would be a good candidate with experience in both management and fundraising.

KAOriginal

All-American
Obviously, TOC is a real AD who understands the importance of this trip.

I was being sarcastic.....but I am now intruiged to know what makes this Hawaii trip so important other than giving the team a vacation and fulfilling Hewitts contract stipulation of "island" oriented tournaments only...

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I was being sarcastic.....but I am now intruiged to know what makes this Hawaii trip so important other than giving the team a vacation and fulfilling Hewitts contract stipulation of "island" oriented tournaments only...

We will punish him soon by sending the team to the "Kimball, Nebraska Classic"

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I was being sarcastic.....but I am now intruiged to know what makes this Hawaii trip so important other than giving the team a vacation in a tropical paradise?

It's an opportunity to bond. One problem with this team is they don't work well together. Some of that is scheme, but a lot is players not being willing to do the little things to make their teammates better like sharing the ball or setting screens.

When Coach L took our team to Europe a few years ago, nobody really talked about the basketball games when they returned. It was all about how close they became as a team, and they all said that chemistry carried over into the season.

Our real season starts after the OOC portion of our schedule is over, so maybe we'll see our team chemistry and attitude change after the trip to Hawaii.

It seems to me that most agree that the AD needs to be someone who networks so they can be a fund raiser. Kevin doesn't strike me as that given that since in all the years I have been hanging around Mason basketball, I have never once met him in person.

If we stayed internal, I would vote for Adam Brick

I think Brick would probably be a front runner for the job as well.

I believe Kevin is the administrator that sits next to the Mason bench during games isn't he? Or do I have him mixed up with someone else? Maybe you could stop by and introduce yourself to him at the next home game.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I think I'd prefer someone from the outside. I feel like if we promoted an internal member of the Athletic Department they would retain some of the things from past leadership. I want a fresh start, new ideas, new perspectives from someone on the outside. Nothing against the possible internal candidates, just how I feel towards it.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Macnamee has to ride in the shadows of TOC currently. But I would not take that as a sign he is or isn't open to new ideas, and a good fundraiser.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I would hire someone who knows how to promote the school, has a record of doing the impossible, might be looking to get out of coaching, and would be a big FU to TOC. If only someone like that existed.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is probably crazy, but I wonder how Paul Hewitt would be as an AD. He's undoubtedly got the people skills to be a good marketer and fundraiser. Could promote him and solve 2 problems at once.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I would hire someone who knows how to promote the school, has a record of doing the impossible, might be looking to get out of coaching, and would be a big FU to TOC. If only someone like that existed.

That obviously would never happen, but just thinking of it makes me chuckle.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why wouldn't you consider administrators at schools with football? BTW, Villanova and Georgetown have football.
Because I want somebody who has been involved at school where basketball is the #1 priority. There aren't too many I-A football schools where basketball is #1.....maybe Louisville, but its a short list after them. Even for all its success, Kentucky's basketball program doesn't generate as much $$ as their football program does. At Louisville, their basketball program is the only hoops team to rank in the list of the top 25 revenue producing sports; the other 24 are all football programs.

And while Nova and Georgetown do have football, we all know that their respective athletic budgets do not live and die by what their football team does.

Anyway, by the time we play Iowa St, can we have a separate thread for that game since this thread has morphed into a coach/AD/state-of-the-program thread? I like when the boards are neatly organized when it comes to game threads........

Pablo

Hall of Famer

While I'm not aware that he has a record of doing the impossible (although he became head coach at Dartmouth at the age of 25), I believe that Tom O'Connor went directly from head coach at Loyola (MD) to its AD.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Because I want somebody who has been involved at school where basketball is the #1 priority. There aren't too many I-A football schools where basketball is #1.....maybe Louisville, but its a short list after them. Even for all its success, Kentucky's basketball program doesn't generate as much $$ as their football program does.

I read that and thought no way in Hell, but:
http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/9/18...all-whos-worth-more-uk-basketball-or-football

Still though, I have to question the indirect revenue generated through licensing of University apparel. My wife's grandmother for example has a UK sticker on her car. It doesn't say basketball on it anywhere, but it sure as Hell ain't the football team driving that purchase.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Well Duke and Syracuse's basketball programs generate more revenue than their football team does. And in terms of "profitability" Syracuse is one of the profitable athletics departments in the country, but that's because they use the carrier done for both sports.