Game 8: GMU (6-1) at Toledo (3-3) on Saturday, December 2, at 7:00 PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That was an awesome win tonight. Toledo is a solid mid major program and I hope we consider renewing our h/h with them.

Mason just beat a team that’s won 90 percent of their home games in three years and won their last 10. That is super impressive.

Amari Kelly- didn’t know what we would get from him but a huge game tonight. He protects the rim, rebounds and can hit 3s. He continues to be very impressive.

I love energy and outwork plays. Kelly had a big rebound that got to Maddox for a 3. Billups who had foul trouble saved a possession late. That stuff is just winning basketball.

we once again have a next man up mentality. Hall didn’t have the best game even with 7 points 7 boards but all the guys contributed. Maddox, Kelly, Polite. Both sides of the ball. Ronny had to go full 40 tonight since Billups was limited and I’m so glad we have Okojie and Wood to help out in the backcourt.

Just a great win. Mason is up to 92 in Kenpom going into the UT matchup. Let’s take the check and take a w. Go Mason!

masonhoops1984

Role Player

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Kelly > Oduro
Exactly! It's hard to imagine that the same Kelly who is tearing things up with 16 and 8 for Mason, averaged 8 and 5 for a UNC squad, with basically the same minutes.

Kelly has absolutely out-played Oduro through the first 8 games. I love his game on the block, and he is clearly a better threat from distance than Oduro. Much quicker.

To me, this speaks to Skinn's ability as a talent evaluator, which is THE MOST IMPORTANT SKILL, as a head coach. As a college coach, you are the coach, GM, and President. Whiff on a few guys and you are hamstrung for 1-2 years. Paulsen rang the bell with a couple of diamonds-in-the-rough, but also whiffed on a lot of guys.

Skinn, so far, does not appear to have missed on a single recruit. Everyone he wanted has added to our roster and program.

Kim leaving was a HUGE service to the Mason program and trajectory.

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
Glad to see this team coming together to get a gritty win on the road against a tough opponent. Polite, Kelly especially standing out tonight. Refs were shitty, pretty blatant fouls on blocks that weren’t called. Apparently it’s okay to go through a players body and arms to get a block.

Okojie’s ability to break a press and handle the ball is very impressive for a freshmen. Also nice to see the team making free throws.

Worried about Hall, last two games have not been good. Lazy passing, lazy dribbling and body language acting like he’d rather be anywhere else. I was hoping Tony would sub him out for Newton during most of the 2nd half.

KAOriginal

All-American
I have not seen a Mason team play with such ease in a very long time. I don't see the "struggle" to execute on either side of the ball that I have seen for the past decade +.

One can argue that there are alot of experienced players on this squad....but only 2 have payed together before this season and it's a completely new coaching program for ALL of them. That's huge to overcome.

Kudos to Skinn and staff for getting it done so far.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Glad to see this team coming together to get a gritty win on the road against a tough opponent. Polite, Kelly especially standing out tonight. Refs were shitty, pretty blatant fouls on blocks that weren’t called. Apparently it’s okay to go through a players body and arms to get a block.

Okojie’s ability to break a press and handle the ball is very impressive for a freshmen. Also nice to see the team making free throws.

Worried about Hall, last two games have not been good. Lazy passing, lazy dribbling and body language acting like he’d rather be anywhere else. I was hoping Tony would sub him out for Newton during most of the 2nd half.
Can we also talk about how much more forceful we are in the paint and going to the inside? My biggest frustrations in the past 8-10 years was that we were soft in that area. We are driving and penetrating even against good zone or man-to-man coverage. And making it happen in the post and rebounding. This is a huge eyeball difference this year for me.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I have not seen a Mason team play with such ease in a very long time. I don't see the "struggle" to execute on either side of the ball that I have seen for the past decade +.

One can argue that there are alot of experienced players on this squad....but only 2 have payed together before this season and it's a completely new coaching program for ALL of them. That's huge to overcome.

Kudos to Skinn and staff for getting it done so far.
That is an excellent point and I think one of the reasons for a good chunk of our TO’s that have happened from passes not going where the intended recipient ended up going.

Even more reason for optimism both 1) as this season progresses and these players get more familiar with each other, and 2) in the future with rosters with less turnover in general.

We have a chance to return nearly everyone next year, with Haynes stepping in for Kelly

KAOriginal

All-American
I think Hall had the early emergence and all the game film/scouting said focus on him.

Well they did...and he will have to adapt and up his game.

But now we have also proven, he's not the ONLY key. Go ahead and take out Hall if you want.... watch Kelly and the rest still score.

Ala 2006...pick your poison because we have ALOT of options.....

smccart5

Starter
Can we also talk about how much more forceful we are in the paint and going to the inside? My biggest frustrations in the past 8-10 years was that we were soft in that area. We are driving and penetrating even against good zone or man-to-man coverage. And making it happen in the post and rebounding. This is a huge eyeball difference this year for me.
Kelly and Malik are TOUGH. Loved when Kelly scored a nice hook and slammed the ball. Got a warning, but love the energy. Really enjoy the 1-2 punch those guys bring to our lineup.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hall clearly shows his emotions. At multiple games this season he has seemed frustrated by things. With our opponents now focusing more attention on him, he obviously needs to figure out how to adjust. As good as he is, I expect he will do that.

Yeah, we should remember he’s just a sophomore who played pretty limited minutes last year. He’s got to adjust to being “the focus” of opposing scouting reports.

If Polite and Maddox continue their recent form it’ll be very difficult for anyone to just key in on Hall. Should make it a little easier.