Game 30: AT Virginia Commonwealth University, Saturday, March 8th, 5:30 PM, NBCSN

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Gerrymandering: That's a whole other issue in and of itself. Does anybody, right or left, think it's a good idea?

MasonCrew

Starter
vcu's recent fall has been the only thing I've liked about this season. Would love to give them a loss that turns them from a lock to a bubble team.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Its shocking there was no wash post article on last nights a** whipping of the goats of richmond. Just shocking I tell ya.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
vcu's recent fall has been the only thing I've liked about this season. Would love to give them a loss that turns them from a lock to a bubble team.

This is what I wonder. Could a home loss to lowly GMU potentially knock them out of the dance? I realize they played a ridiculous schedule and won some big games, but surely a terrible loss to us to finish a 4-7 stretch might cause the committee to re-assess.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
This is what I wonder. Could a home loss to lowly GMU potentially knock them out of the dance? I realize they played a ridiculous schedule and won some big games, but surely a terrible loss to us to finish a 4-7 stretch might cause the committee to re-assess.

But could that potentially keep Hewitt around? I know it's a long shot, but if we win at vcu Hewitt could argue staying. What would be a short term win (beating vcu) could be a long term loss (another year of sorry basketball).

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This might be a game worth going to just for the off chance we can make a bunch of hippie, pot smoking, obama voting, entitled, skinny jean/birkenstock wearing douchebags cry all they way back to their handpainted VW buses on the way back to the mean ugly, trash ridden streets of Richmond where they will drown their sorrows in hash brownies at the corner of Suck and a** three doors down from the Hemp Clothing store.

Last I checked NoVa was becoming bluer. GMU territory put a beat down on McCain and Romney and gave Virginia to Obama. Take Obama voters out of the GMU fanbase and the team might average 2000 a game next year.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Last I checked NoVa was becoming bluer. GMU territory put a beat down on McCain and Romney and gave Virginia to Obama. Take Obama voters out of the GMU fanbase and the team might average 2000 a game next year.

Statistically speaking, less than 2000.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I could see the low finish and any bad losses pushing vcu maybe into the 8-12 seed bracket. I still think they look at the overall body of work, plus the league. Add that to the hype of draw of "Havoc" ratings wise, I can't see why vcu would be pushed out, but if nothing more, probably get pushed into a less favorable matchup.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Getting back to basketball, it really was a treat watching Davidson carve up vcu's press and half-court defense last night. Just goes to show how valuable great coaching and sound fundamentals are.

I stand by my comments that Davidson relied on a very cushy OOC schedule early on, but they are playing their best ball when it matters most. There are still several blemishes on their resume — bad losses vs St. Bonaventure and St. Joe's and getting blown out at Richmond — but their wins against Dayton and vcu should hopefully put them on the right side of the bubble. (It would have been another story had we held on to beat them in Fairfax.)

I know it's frowned upon by some to root for fellow conference opponents in the postseason, but I for one am hoping Davidson can make some waves in March. Despite relying way too much on 3-point shooting, they could win a game or two if they get a good draw and are on from beyond the arc.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I enjoy watching Davidson make all the former Hewitt apologists eat crow for their excuses of lack of talent and how could a CAA team couldn't compete instantly.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
But could that potentially keep Hewitt around? I know it's a long shot, but if we win at vcu Hewitt could argue staying. What would be a short term win (beating vcu) could be a long term loss (another year of sorry basketball).

I would hope one way or another his fate is probably already determined, and I am incapable of not rooting against vcu. We could hire Kim Jong Un as our next coach and I'd still hope he beats vcu each year.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
With our conference foe's keeping 75% of the money from the ncaa, I'll have to scale it back if Davidson makes it in. I wouldn't root for them at all, but Bob is just to damn respectable.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Getting back to basketball, it really was a treat watching Davidson carve up vcu's press and half-court defense last night. Just goes to show how valuable great coaching and sound fundamentals are.

I stand by my comments that Davidson relied on a very cushy OOC schedule early on, but they are playing their best ball when it matters most. There are still several blemishes on their resume — bad losses vs St. Bonaventure and St. Joe's and getting blown out at Richmond — but their wins against Dayton and vcu should hopefully put them on the right side of the bubble. (It would have been another story had we held on to beat them in Fairfax.)

I know it's frowned upon by some to root for fellow conference opponents in the postseason, but I for one am hoping Davidson can make some waves in March. Despite relying way too much on 3-point shooting, they could win a game or two if they get a good draw and are on from beyond the arc.

St. Bonaventure was on a buzzer beater.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
St. Bonaventure was on a buzzer beater.

It's still considered a bad loss on paper, but that is something the committee might factor in if they are really on the bubble. The bullet they really dodged was when we we crapped the bed against them in Fairfax, because a loss to us really could have put a nail in their proverbial coffin.

Last edited:

wijg

Starter
I am far from an expert on basketball offensive schemes (even though I know a really bad one when I see it...), but, watching Davidson last night, I was really impressed with their offense. Their guys seemed to always be in the right place and the floor was spaced out really well. They just seem to really run their offense almost flawlessly. It helped that their threes were dropping, but most of them were WIDE open due to good to movement and spacing, so not surprising that they were landing.

vcu's offense, on the other hand, seemed eerily similar to our offense.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Their guys seemed to always be in the right place and the floor was spaced out really well. They just seem to really run their offense almost flawlessly.

So true, wijg. Even on the rare occasion that they had a turnover, you could tell it was very close to being an easy basket. They remind me of the old UNCW teams with their constant screens and cuts. And like you pointed out, almost all of their 3s were uncontested. They just keep moving the ball until they find somebody who has an open look.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Season Stats:

Davidson: 469 assists/789 FG's (59.4%)

Mason: 293 assists/662 FG's (44.3%)

Davidson: 296 3-pt. FG's/789 FG's (37.5%)

Mason: 120 3-pt. FG's/662 FG's (18.1%)

vcu at Davidson game:

Davidson: 19 assists/29 FG's (65.5%)

vcu: 8 assists/21 FG's (38.1%)

Davidson: 11 3-pt. FG's/29 FG's (37.9%)

vcu: 1 3-pt. FG/21 FG's (4.8%)

Last edited: