Game 28: GMU (14-13 / 7-7) at Davidson (24-4 / 14-2) on Wednesday, March 2, at 7PM.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I mean we didn’t lose by 20+ which a lot of folks were expecting. It wasn’t great but this isn’t discouraging for me. Glad to see both Coop and Ticket break out of their slumps, need them to start peaking here gojng into the tournament.

If Loyer played, this is a 20 point loss, no doubt.

I’m not sure why Polite is starting over XJ this late in the season. Sure, he’s a step quicker, but everything else about his game is a step behind. This also limits XJ’s impact playing with the second line and coming in and out.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Cooper's signature move: Drive the lane when you probably could go all the way to the rim, but instead jam on the brakes, skid to a stop while just barely not traveling, and then look frantically around for someone to pass it to, since everyone thought you were going to the rim.

I’ve noticed that too. Not that he beats his man that often, but every time I’ve seen him with a clear line to the basket he puts the breaks on and looks to pass it. Get the easy 2 points! No need for a kickout 3.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If Loyer played, this is a 20 point loss, no doubt.

I’m not sure why Polite is starting over XJ this late in the season. Sure, he’s a step quicker, but everything else about his game is a step behind. This also limits XJ’s impact playing with the second line and coming in and out.
Or even playing more than 5-7 mins. Lots of us have been hard on XJ, myself included, but he's proved the critics wrong with some fantastic, multi-game stretches where he stuffed the stat sheet and made his teammates look very good.

Other than one game last year when he scored 17 against GW in the first game of the A10 tourney), Polite hasn't showed me he is capable of being a steady hand in a single game, let alone multiple games. He's averaging more TOs than assists for his career - XJ never did - even as a freshman.

I root for all of our guys and want to see them develop and succeed. I hope I'm not being unfair to Polite, but I want to know what English sees that warrants him getting so many minutes at XJ's expenses.

Good to see Ticket and Coop knock down some 3s and props again to Blake Jones for giving us a better view of the kind of player he could become.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Or even playing more than 5-7 mins. Lots of us have been hard on XJ, myself included, but he's proved the critics wrong with some fantastic, multi-game stretches where he stuffed the stat sheet and made his teammates look very good.

Other than one game last year when he scored 17 against GW in the first game of the A10 tourney), Polite hasn't showed me he is capable of being a steady hand in a single game, let alone multiple games. He's averaging more TOs than assists for his career - XJ never did - even as a freshman.

I root for all of our guys and want to see them develop and succeed. I hope I'm not being unfair to Polite, but I want to know what English sees that warrants him getting so many minutes at XJ's expenses.

Good to see Ticket and Coop knock down some 3s and props again to Blake Jones for giving us a better view of the kind of player he could become.

The Davidson announcers indicated XJ was coming off the bench to provide a scoring spark off the bench. OK - but if this is leading to less minutes for XJ and more for Polite I don't like it.

Last edited:

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Jones definitely showed us something in the 1st half

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The Davidson announcers indicated XJ was coming off the bench to provide a scoring spark off the bench. OK - but if this is leading to less minutes for XJ and more Polite I don't like it.

Yeah except he hasnt made a basket since losing the starting job and has 4 points in 2 games. His assist number fell off a cliff too.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah except he hasnt made a basket since losing the starting job and has 4 points in 2 games. His assist number fell off a cliff too.
Seems to be an experiment that isn't working. Hope he is starting Saturday.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Two big take-aways:
1) We still need a PG
2) We still aren't big enough to contend with Davidson down low. Mannenga is huge in person.

I still like Polite's potential, but man, you have to wonder if having him out with the first team and almost "wasting" XJ on the second team is neutering our offense.

That said, none of our PGs played well tonight, aside from maybe Hartwell in the final minute.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They didn't give Blake credit for it (looks like one was scored a steal) but he blocked Mannenga twice and possibly Luka B once as well. Very good game for Blake. He probably needs to add several tens of pounds but the talent is there.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Good to finally see the team up close tonight. As well as fellow Mason fans, gmubrian and his son, and Masonfanatic. Also, got to chat with my old buddy, the legend who helped save the program, Jay Marsh and his wife. Seeing everyone was a win!!

As for the game, "shared cognition". It was one of the most interesting points KE made upon arrival. Seeing the team live its pretty clear it's not always there on offense or defense. For example, tonight, two guys box out, but don't know who will grab the ball so neither do and almost lose it all together. Post entry passes are made to JO....then we watch...no movement off the ball to set up an open kick out if needed while keeping the defense working. Play of the game for me was Schwartz driving for an And one. Need more of that to keep defenders honest.

The coaches seem to be coaching and with passion, but maybe the guys cant do what they want???? For example, at the beginning KE calls for Cooper to post up his walkon defender (who is only playing bc its senior night) and he misses. The flip side is KE had Frazier defending their big. Malik is good for 5 fouls. Try him...he might make it slightly more difficult.

Or, maybe it's time for some wiffle ball???

Cheers!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Whoa! Maybe the guy who backs up the person who slots into Schwartz's spot.

Yeah, let’s slow the roll on Jones stepping into a starting roll after a few good minutes in one game.

We do need someone who can play both the 4 and 5 since we are so thin in the frontcourt (and most likely will be next year too), and if he can get at least 10-15 pounds on his frame he could be a good candidate to be a primary backup for both Gaines and Oduro next year.

The raw material is there (he’s smart, can shoot, a good passer, can take slower bigs off the dribble) but he’s still rail thin and the game is sometimes still to fast for him. He might get there by his junior year (or he can prove us all wrong and be a monster next year, who knows).

But big priorities in the off-season for a triple threat wing to replace Schwartz in the lineup.

Edit: oh and a shooting guard to push Fernandez for minutes (because more shooting is never a bad thing).

If he can nail both of those transfers, and figure out a way to bring XJ along, and Gaines to be more aggressive I like our chances to finish in a better place next year.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Yeah, let’s slow the roll on Jones stepping into a starting roll after a few good minutes in one game.

Mmmm....let's not. I think that roll speed was just about right, in fact. Let me put that sentence out there again and emphasize the operative word in it.

Maybe he's the guy that steps into D'Shawn Schwartz's role next season.

And while the word IF isn't also in that sentence, the sentiment was implied by what immediately preceded it.

16 minutes, 7 points on 3-3 shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, and perhaps best of all, 0 turnovers or fouls.

Next season D'Shawn Schwartz is gone and somebody will have to step into that role. That role being defined as loosely as a fifth starter, or more narrowly by what he brings to the team. The biggest of those being an outside shooter who can knock down threes. And remember, filling that role doesn't necessarily mean it's an upgrade either. We've all been bitching about our lack of PG play all season, but we've still had XJ and Polite fill those roles.

So that said, look on the current roster and tell me who you want there instead?

Justyn Fernandez? Also maybe and yeah, I know, he's got that fourth star that some of ya'll jack it to in the shower. But he's also a Freshman who's yet to play in a college game. Look at the history of how that's worked out. Also, I hope Cooper returns, but that's not guaranteed either, so could be a second role to also fill there that he's more suited for.

Otis Frazier? Also maybe. But I feel like Jones has more upside.

Malik Henry? That's the fifth starter role in that case, but that's about it. Changes the dynamic of the team to a more low-post focused team.

Portal TBD? That's probably the most likely option, but that guy ain't on the roster yet.

As for adding 30 lbs, don't count on it. Maybe by the time he graduates, but that's not his body type or frame. Blake def. needs to get stronger but he's got that Garnett & Nowitizki body style. You put bulk on the kid and it'll slow him down, which is the last thing he needs in his game.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I expect KE to find 2 starting-caliber players in the portal: a PG with length and court vision, and a stretch 4 with a little more physicality than Schwartz (who is effectively a big guard).

If Cooper moves on, slide JF into his spot and Ticket starts at his natural 3. JF is gonna push hard to start at the 2 regardless … he is special.

The reality is we’ve been playing mostly with 4 guards and Oduro this season, yet we struggle to generate easy baskets against teams that can take Oduro away. Everything is a jump shot and there really isn’t a Plan B when they’re not falling.

The good news is there will be another 2,000 players in the portal this offseason. With Kim’s connections and eye for talent, and a full season to understand the deficiencies in our roster, no reason he won’t be going all-in to make the most of Oduro’s senior season.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Justyn Fernandez? Also maybe and yeah, I know, he's got that fourth star that some of ya'll jack it to in the shower. But he's also a Freshman who's yet to play in a college game.
If Cooper moves on, slide JF into his spot and Ticket starts at his natural 3. JF is gonna push hard to start at the 2 regardless … he is special.
I wish the two of you could get on the same page, because you are sending us mixed messages on whether we are able to rub one out in the shower or not.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I wish the two of you could get on the same page, because you are sending us mixed messages on whether we are able to rub one out in the shower or not.

Fair question.

Shower rub-outs - yes.
Doing it to star ratings - frowned upon. But if that's your kink, you do you. (literally)

Personally, I've been using images of burning soviet...errr...Russian tanks and APCs as my motivator.