Game 28: GMU (14-13 / 7-7) at Davidson (24-4 / 14-2) on Wednesday, March 2, at 7PM.

Masonfan3

Starter
Mmmm....let's not. I think that roll speed was just about right, in fact. Let me put that sentence out there again and emphasize the operative word in it.

Maybe he's the guy that steps into D'Shawn Schwartz's role next season.

And while the word IF isn't also in that sentence, the sentiment was implied by what immediately preceded it.

16 minutes, 7 points on 3-3 shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, and perhaps best of all, 0 turnovers or fouls.

Next season D'Shawn Schwartz is gone and somebody will have to step into that role. That role being defined as loosely as a fifth starter, or more narrowly by what he brings to the team. The biggest of those being an outside shooter who can knock down threes. And remember, filling that role doesn't necessarily mean it's an upgrade either. We've all been bitching about our lack of PG play all season, but we've still had XJ and Polite fill those roles.

So that said, look on the current roster and tell me who you want there instead?

Justyn Fernandez? Also maybe and yeah, I know, he's got that fourth star that some of ya'll jack it to in the shower. But he's also a Freshman who's yet to play in a college game. Look at the history of how that's worked out. Also, I hope Cooper returns, but that's not guaranteed either, so could be a second role to also fill there that he's more suited for.

Otis Frazier? Also maybe. But I feel like Jones has more upside.

Malik Henry? That's the fifth starter role in that case, but that's about it. Changes the dynamic of the team to a more low-post focused team.

Portal TBD? That's probably the most likely option, but that guy ain't on the roster yet.

As for adding 30 lbs, don't count on it. Maybe by the time he graduates, but that's not his body type or frame. Blake def. needs to get stronger but he's got that Garnett & Nowitizki body style. You put bulk on the kid and it'll slow him down, which is the last thing he needs in his game.

Yea, Jones has the Garnett & Nowitizki body style but nowhere near their skills. Obviously we are talking about two HOF's so no one really has their level of skills. But Jones can't dribble, is very awkward when running, and can't really create his own shot. I am fine with him getting minutes and taking open shots as I think he can be a good shooter (last night he was, the rest of the season not so much) and he does play hard and with a lot of energy. However, to step into Schwartz role he is going to need to show more than just the ability to make 7 3's in 26 games or 29%. With more minutes he will have more opportunity but I don't see anything in his game (right now) that shows me he can be a 15 and 5 guy. If he wants to be that guy, he will need to find ways to create his own shot. I think all of his points this year have been catch and shoot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the man has scored a grand total of 30 points the entire season. If he doesn't want to develop those skills then he needs to bulk up because he gets bullied around down low.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I mean, you can stop the argument at “if anyone on the current roster is going to…” because there isn’t one. I think Jim has the idea (same one I had earlier), find a transfer stretch 4 and move Gaines to the 3. That’s the ideal scenario.

I mean, Otis has had 2 good games this year, but I’m not trusting him to score 15 a night stepping in for Schwartz.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I also hope they’ve kept up with Mbaye at New Mexico Junior College. Not sure what the level of competition is there, but he’s averaging 13.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per game. At 6’8 225 or so he’s a perfect fit to slot in at the 4. He’d be in the ‘23 class, I think.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I also hope they’ve kept up with Mbaye at New Mexico Junior College. Not sure what the level of competition is there, but he’s averaging 13.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per game. At 6’8 225 or so he’s a perfect fit to slot in at the 4. He’d be in the ‘23 class, I think.
Pretty sure our top big man priority in 23 is Hansberry from Mount St Joe’s, but Mbaye is definitely an intriguing prospect … I’d take both

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pretty sure our top big man priority in 23 is Hansberry from Mount St Joe’s, but Mbaye is definitely an intriguing prospect … I’d take both

Definitely would take both. Hansberry would come in as a freshman and Mbaye would be a junior.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
But Jones can't dribble, is very awkward when running, and can't really create his own shot. I am fine with him getting minutes and taking open shots as I think he can be a good shooter (last night he was, the rest of the season not so much) and he does play hard and with a lot of energy. However, to step into Schwartz role he is going to need to show more than just the ability to make 7 3's in 26 games or 29%. With more minutes he will have more opportunity but I don't see anything in his game (right now) that shows me he can be a 15 and 5 guy. If he wants to be that guy, he will need to find ways to create his own shot. I think all of his points this year have been catch and shoot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the man has scored a grand total of 30 points the entire season. If he doesn't want to develop those skills then he needs to bulk up because he gets bullied around down low.

I'm not sure that's the case. His body of work this season has been very limited and it's difficult to make any projections off it, but you go back to his highlight reels and I see a kid who can absolutely dribble and create his own shots.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=elHrCtRqnUw

View: https://youtu.be/-hQIiqKnvzw

Now that's against much lower competition and nobody's going to make the mistake of thinking we've got the second coming of Steve Nash playing, but if Jones can duplicate and build on what he did last night in 16 min. to 24 min regularly next season, that's a 12 & 7 guy, which I'll take in a heartbeat.

Lots of ifs in that statement and nothing guaranteed. Also just one game - Goanar Mar had a 26 pt outing his Freshman year against vcu and currently averaging 1.6 PPG at Northern Iowa. Johnnie Williams did 14 against Fordham. But we've also seen guys turn on the lights at some point and take off from there. 7 3's in 26 games isn't phenomenal. But when you're playing for 4-5 minutes, it's hard to get in a rhythm and not be overthinking what you're doing.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I mean, you can stop the argument at “if anyone on the current roster is going to…” because there isn’t one. I think Jim has the idea (same one I had earlier), find a transfer stretch 4 and move Gaines to the 3. That’s the ideal scenario.

I mean, Otis has had 2 good games this year, but I’m not trusting him to score 15 a night stepping in for Schwartz.

If you honestly think that's the point I've made, I can't help you. It's sailed so far over your head that it's clipped the moon.

It's really easy to find slightly undersized 2/3's that can score a little bit to come off the bench in the portal and at prep schools.

Our bench will be fine next year. I totally agree with the strategy to have XJ provide it a little more firepower this season as well, I just don't get why he only played 14 minutes.

Kim English thinks Polite is capable of claiming the PG spot and has said so out loud many times in public and in more private settings. Don't know what to tell you on that. Both old regime and new regime have/had no questions whatsoever about his talent. Other issues, we'll see.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's really easy to find slightly undersized 2/3's that can score a little bit to come off the bench in the portal and at prep schools.

Our bench will be fine next year. I totally agree with the strategy to have XJ provide it a little more firepower this season as well, I just don't get why he only played 14 minutes.

Kim English thinks Polite is capable of claiming the PG spot and has said so out loud many times in public and in more private settings. Don't know what to tell you on that. Both old regime and new regime have/had no questions whatsoever about his talent. Other issues, we'll see.
Claiming the PG spot as like 4th backup right? Kid can’t dribble, isn’t overly athletic and shoots like a female from the hips. What is there to like other than he has marginally better defense than Hartwell and can sometimes finish at the rim like XJ.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

How many times has Polite gone coast-to-coast for an easy layup in the last two games alone? Four? Six?

Problem is for every time he does that he has an equally bone-headed early shot clock three that he takes just because he's open. His shot is ugly as hell and while it seems to have gotten more accurate he needs to only use it in situations where we've tried to do something else during the possession.

I think at this point they're just trying to get him reps and develop his instincts.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If next year is going to be progression from this year there needs to be much more consistency at point guard. I like that they are giving Polite every opportunity to take a spot but I can’t see the staff being willing to give it to him with how he’s playing overall and has played. He’s already a sophomore so I don’t think he’s magically turning a corner. His stats are underwhelming and it’s not like he hasn’t played a decent number of minutes. In a league where you have Ace Baldwin and Yuri Collins, you need really good PG play amongst other things. I know the staff believes in him and is giving him every chance.

I’m rooting for the kid, but I certainly hope XJ Polite and Dinkins isn’t the plan for next year. If the plan is to turn around the program in the next year or two, it just can’t be.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If next year is going to be progression from this year there needs to be much more consistency at point guard. I like that they are giving Polite every opportunity to take a spot but I can’t see the staff being willing to give it to him with how he’s playing overall and has played. He’s already a sophomore so I don’t think he’s magically turning a corner. His stats are underwhelming and it’s not like he hasn’t played a decent number of minutes. In a league where you have Ace Baldwin and Yuri Collins, you need really good PG play amongst other things. I know the staff believes in him and is giving him every chance.

I’m rooting for the kid, but I certainly hope XJ Polite and Dinkins isn’t the plan for next year. If the plan is to turn around the program in the next year or two, it just can’t be.

I think if you replaced Polite with someone in the mold of Erik Reynolds you’d be fine. He can start at point or play off-ball in tandem with either XJ or Dinkins.

I think where a player like that starts would depend on what else happened in the off-season (does Gaines move over to the 3? Do you bring in a starting quality 4, is Fernandez ready to play big minutes as the 2 etc.) but you’d have roster flexibility.

Oh, and let’s not forget the Gray is still on the roster so technically you wouldn’t even need to “replace” Polite.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think if you replaced Polite with someone in the mold of Erik Reynolds you’d be fine. He can start at point or play off-ball in tandem with either XJ or Dinkins.

I think where a player like that starts would depend on what else happened in the off-season (does Gaines move over to the 3? Do you bring in a starting quality 4, is Fernandez ready to play big minutes as the 2 etc.) but you’d have roster flexibility.

Oh, and let’s not forget the Gray is still on the roster so technically you wouldn’t even need to “replace” Polite.

Yeah I don’t disagree that if you bring a combo guard like that, it works. They just need more consistency at the pg and what they have doesn’t work.

I wouldn’t count on gray helping.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I would take Reynolds in a heartbeat but not as the primary PG. We need somebody like Baldwin, Collins or even Loyer who can facilitate the offense and get the ball where it needs to go. We also need somebody who can break down the defense — our late shot clock possessions are brutal because we have nobody who can beat his man off the dribble consistently.

Reynolds is obviously a gifted natural scorer, but he’s not a guy who makes it easier for everyone else. That guy will be in the portal.

How many times has Polite gone coast-to-coast for an easy layup in the last two games alone? Four? Six?

Problem is for every time he does that he has an equally bone-headed early shot clock three that he takes just because he's open. His shot is ugly as hell and while it seems to have gotten more accurate he needs to only use it in situations where we've tried to do something else during the possession.

I think at this point they're just trying to get him reps and develop his instincts.

The key for him is a healthy offseason and a productive one. Not a key, more like a necessity at this level at this point.

But you're right. Decision-making needs to go up a notch. Not sure if it will...always hard to project.

Really due mainly to XJ the PG play has improved to an almost okay level, at least way better than last year. What makes it worse is having the points also play backup shooting guard as well, which is way, way, way questionable as opposed to just them playing pg...which is just questionable.

I remain not as worried about the position as you guys. I think XJ as a senior and Dinkins as a frosh is fine. Polite or Gray developing is frosting.

Have to get a couple servicable 2's in with one able to play some three, though.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would take Reynolds in a heartbeat but not as the primary PG. We need somebody like Baldwin, Collins or even Loyer who can facilitate the offense and get the ball where it needs to go. We also need somebody who can break down the defense — our late shot clock possessions are brutal because we have nobody who can beat his man off the dribble consistently.

Reynolds is obviously a gifted natural scorer, but he’s not a guy who makes it easier for everyone else. That guy will be in the portal.
Very good point. Reynolds has not yet showed that he is a distributor. Look at his numbers at SJU. He's more of a 2, who can put the ball on the floor and get by his defender. If his shot and range continue to develop, I see him as a faster, better-finishing version of Coop.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yea, Jones has the Garnett & Nowitizki body style but nowhere near their skills. Obviously we are talking about two HOF's so no one really has their level of skills. But Jones can't dribble, is very awkward when running, and can't really create his own shot. I am fine with him getting minutes and taking open shots as I think he can be a good shooter (last night he was, the rest of the season not so much) and he does play hard and with a lot of energy. However, to step into Schwartz role he is going to need to show more than just the ability to make 7 3's in 26 games or 29%. With more minutes he will have more opportunity but I don't see anything in his game (right now) that shows me he can be a 15 and 5 guy. If he wants to be that guy, he will need to find ways to create his own shot. I think all of his points this year have been catch and shoot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the man has scored a grand total of 30 points the entire season. If he doesn't want to develop those skills then he needs to bulk up because he gets bullied around down low.
With Jones' body type it seems unlikely he'll be able to put on a lot of weight in the short-term. He looks about the same as two years ago.

Others have pointed out that he is already 20 years old - not the 18 year old freshman I expected.

However, here's a possible counter-argument:

By the time he's a senior, he'll be older (24) than just about everyone in the A10. I think that counts for something. Bryon Allen didn't show much early on but things really started to click for him just as he was about to graduate. And of course, it is well-documented how George Evans did as a freshman, far older than his peers.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
With Jones' body type it seems unlikely he'll be able to put on a lot of weight in the short-term. He looks about the same as two years ago.

Others have pointed out that he is already 20 years old - not the 18 year old freshman I expected.

However, here's a possible counter-argument:

By the time he's a senior, he'll be older (24) than just about everyone in the A10. I think that counts for something. Bryon Allen didn't show much early on but things really started to click for him just as he was about to graduate. And of course, it is well-documented how George Evans did as a freshman, far older than his peers.
Jones is going to be more than fine. The guy who wrote that he can’t dribble and looks awkward running … how many 6-10 guys have we had in the history of our program who were polished products as freshmen? His jumper is technically sound, he obviously knows how to play and his length will be a factor on defense as he gets stronger. He’ll also be able to show his skill offensively as the game slows down, which is a normal development curve for a guy coming from overseas. His future looks bright to me.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jones is going to be more than fine. The guy who wrote that he can’t dribble and looks awkward running … how many 6-10 guys have we had in the history of our program who were polished products as freshmen? His jumper is technically sound, he obviously knows how to play and his length will be a factor on defense as he gets stronger. He’ll also be able to show his skill offensively as the game slows down, which is a normal development curve for a guy coming from overseas. His future looks bright to me.

How many 6’10 guys have we had in the history of this program? Not many.

He’s got potential. I think he’s two years away. Junior year might be his breakout if he sticks around and keeps working.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
How many 6’10 guys have we had in the history of this program? Not many.

He’s got potential. I think he’s two years away. Junior year might be his breakout if he sticks around and keeps working.
Junior year is usually when it clicks for big guys at our level. I think if Blake has an Oduro-like development progression we’d all be OK with that.