Game 26: GMU (17-8 / 6-6) vs #16 Dayton (21-4 / 11-2) on Wednesday, February 21, at 7:00 PM.

undertherock

Preferred Walk-On
Now that the euphoria from last night has worn off a bit I'll offer up a few more thoughts. I would have to say this is our best home win ever, not our most exciting, just the best and most important. I also have to give props to Ronald Polite. I've been critical of his play at times but he certainly stepped up big last night. I would love to see him continue to contribute like he did last night. Baraka, for a freshman, is an absolute stud. If he develops a 3 point shot he'll be unstoppable. Austin Ball gave us good minutes again last night. He didn't score but still made a positive impact on the outcome. The future certainly looks bright.
We started the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half scoreless and it was Ronny's two drive in pull up jumpers that got us on the scoresheet. Then his 3 point shot with 3 minutes remaining to put us up 4 was ultimately the cushion we needed to close out the game.

Best victory we've ever had at home. The vibes and energy were immaculate. I was sitting in section 101 surrounded by Dayton fans and one guy sitting next to me in row Q was actually being loud and obnoxious. By the final 2 minutes of the game all those Dayton fans cheering "let's go Dayton!" got hella quiet. It's the most satisfying I've felt attending a Mason game.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We started the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half scoreless and it was Ronny's two drive in pull up jumpers that got us on the scoresheet. Then his 3 point shot with 3 minutes remaining to put us up 4 was ultimately the cushion we needed to close out the game.

Best victory we've ever had at home. The vibes and energy were immaculate. I was sitting in section 101 surrounded by Dayton fans and one guy sitting next to me in row Q was actually being loud and obnoxious. By the final 2 minutes of the game all those Dayton fans cheering "let's go Dayton!" got hella quiet. It's the most satisfying I've felt attending a Mason game.
Completely agree with your first paragraph. Also, Ronny had a huge "big boy" rebound, and also was diving on the floor in a scramble late in the game as well. I just loved that Ronny was able to contribute but that we didn't have to have him score 25 and do everything to have a chance. He ran point some but stepped up in those few big opportunities when we needed him most.

I absolutely loved those drives, cut and put up a floater play that Ronny and Jared executed to get us back in the game. That 19-0 run was a work of art.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know we were just discussing Ronny - but also hat tip to Billups who also had a "Big boy rebound", and helped drive and cut to find Ronny on those floaters. Don't think he had the best game but he was impactful.

Also, Austin Ball came off the bench and was solid as CTS alluded to last night as well. I dont' think he shot the ball, but I do remember him playing with defensive energy, getting rebounds and generally helping out on both sides of the ball.

Well done to both of them.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
1708628216407.png

Was in a rush ... :D

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah, the national ranking must have gotten into some of their heads. There was one guy in front of us who kept standing up and talking crap and turning around and taunting. He can't take it though. When we were up 11 or at the end of game, he just sat there silent.... And few other fans saying "This loss didn't mean anything. No big deal. Mason still sucks, blah blah blah"

This is I would say to those rude Daytonites...

View: https://youtu.be/By3FjberBpU?si=Sio0ED9ZO6GoZ9q6

psyclone

Hall of Famer

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep... and, a few pages in, a ¼-page article on how G'Town has now lost 11 straight... seriously.
Even when we were good our beat guy was Steve Goff, who was fine, but was a soccer reporter first and foremost. Unlike the team we played yesterday, we exist in in a media market where we're already competing with the MLB/NBA/NHL/NFL franchises plus two blueblood (ish) teams in P6 conferences. We're also talking about the Washington Post here...not some small town rag where there's nothing else to talk about.

Win yesterday was a huge deal but we have a long way to go before we start getting Maryland/GTown style coverage. I'm guessing there were no articles about GW yesterday so at least we got that on 'em.