Game 24: GMU (12-11 / 5-5) at St. Joe’s (10-13 / 4-8) on February 16 at 7PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
St. Joe’s is currently 10-13 on the season and 4-8 in A10 play. They are 8-4 at home, 1-8 on the road, and 1 - 1 at neutral sites.

History: GMU is 9-4 vs St. Joe’s as a member of the A10.

We beat the Hawks 77-71 when we played them at home on January 24. Eric Reynolds had 18 points to lead the Hawks. Whiny b&tch Taylor Funk had 17 and Jordan Hall had 15. Cameron Brown (9 points) and Ejike Obinna (8 points) rounded out their starting 5. Dahmir Bishop and Charles Coleman played double figure minutes off the bench.
Box score:
Schedule: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22?path=mbball

St. Joe’s averages 70.1 points per game while giving up 70.7. The Hawks shoot 42.9% from the floor and 33.6% from 3. Opponents are shooting 43.0% from the field and 33.1% from 3. The Hawks shoot 67.8% from the free throw line. They have out rebounded opponents by 2.4 boards per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: 3 of their 4 conference wins have come at home so I expect a close game from start to finish. Defending the 3 will be paramount as they were 13 - 26 from 3 last time out. GMU wins a close one 76-75.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
St. Joe’s is currently 10-13 on the season and 4-8 in A10 play. They are 8-4 at home, 1-8 on the road, and 1 - 1 at neutral sites.

History: GMU is 9-4 vs St. Joe’s as a member of the A10.

We beat the Hawks 77-71 when we played them at home on January 24. Eric Reynolds had 18 points to lead the Hawks. Whiny b&tch Taylor Funk had 17 and Jordan Hall had 15. Cameron Brown (9 points) and Ejike Obinna (8 points) rounded out their starting 5. Dahmir Bishop and Charles Coleman played double figure minutes off the bench.
Box score:
Schedule: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22?path=mbball

St. Joe’s averages 70.1 points per game while giving up 70.7. The Hawks shoot 42.9% from the floor and 33.6% from 3. Opponents are shooting 43.0% from the field and 33.1% from 3. The Hawks shoot 67.8% from the free throw line. They have out rebounded opponents by 2.4 boards per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: . 3 of their 4 conference wins have come at home so I expect a close game from start to finish. Defending the 3 will be paramount as they were 13 - 26 from 3 last time out. GMU wins a close one 76-75.

Discuss.
I'm heading up to Philly for this one firmly expecting a decisive win, which I believe will be the 6th or 7th straight over the Hawk.

They are not a very good outside shooting team and haven't been for years. In the last game, they shot lights out from beyond the arc. Funk hit his first 5 threes and Reynolds was bombing them in.

Also in our favor: just like us, St. Joes has no bench.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m sure this is going to be a battle like this first game was. Mason needs to defend 3s much better or guys like Reynolds or 9th year senior Taylor Funk will have field days. Billy Lange is terrible as a coach and hopefully Mason can bounce back to keep in line with a middle of the pack tournament seed.

Mason 75
Sloppy joes 68

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Need to take care of business on the road. Feed Oduro all game.

Goodguys 68
City with the Most Annoying Mascots 64

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’ve found myself unexpectedly in the Philly area this week, for those of you that have been how are games at Joes?

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’ve found myself unexpectedly in the Philly area this week, for those of you that have been how are games at Joes?
Atmosphere was good, but that was in the Martelli era, so it may have taken a downturn. Upper level seats are cramped. Try to get a lower if you are over 5-9. There is a convenient parking garage and a sports bar across the street.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Vegasinsider opens with Mason favored by 2.5, now at 2.
Kenpom has Mason as a 1 pt underdog; had Mason favored by 1 in this game prior to the loss to vcu

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

See if you can get in touch with someone from athletics and get in on the allotment they get for games.

That said I went to a game in 2015 there that Mason lost. I had fun but like it was said, the upper level was cramped. Intimidate basketball arena with not much of a concourse if I remember correctly.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don’t want to see Mason collapsing on Jordan Hall again, like they did last time, and leave shooters wide open on the perimeter. Cover up the shooters and force Hall to beat his man off the dribble every time (he won’t, and if he makes a ton of mid-range shots so be it—better than giving up 10 assists on made 3s).

Also curious to see how St. Joes tried to guard Oduro, because they had no one who could guard him in the last game.

emjayar08

Sixth Man
It's a (nice) high school gym with a good group of die-hard alumni. Lots of history, not a bad view in there, but some of the seats are very tight.

Irish44j

Sixth Man
I feel like JO has been a lot less patience in recent games making moves into the basket. Like after he makes one move he just kicks it back outside rather than going for a second move like he was doing earlier in the season. Or he settles for a tougher shot. Still kind of wondering if he has a lingering injury or something that's making him playlist aggressively down low

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not looking great so far. Can’t hit a shot. Ball watching on that last St. Joes putback. Gave up a couple of opens 3s already that just didn’t fall. Not liking the trajectory so far.