Game 24: GMU (12-11 / 5-5) at St. Joe’s (10-13 / 4-8) on February 16 at 7PM.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can we pause and shoutout to the St. Joes announcers who keep having to sit through Mason rallying to beat their team? They were begging for St. Joes to step up and get this game over the line.

I’m pretty sure it was the same crew that called the “Oh noooooo!” game.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
With the light of day I was too strident and "dumb" was not the right word. I find myself oscillating between celebrating guys like Frazier, Buchanon, Henry, etc. when they play well, and pulling my hair out when they do not...and wondering if we should play the starters for 40 minutes.

I looked around and there have been some academic studies that explore this very question.

Can't access the full article because it's behind a pay wall but here's the abstract from a study in 2017:

Player Rotation, On-court Performance and Game Outcomes in NCAA Men’s Basketball​

C. Daniel Clay & E. Kylie Clay
Pages 606-619 | Published online: 03 Apr 2017

"Coaches differ in in how they use the talents of their players and player rotation is among their most strategically important game management levers; some substitute sparingly while others routinely go to a deep bench. This research examines the impact of size of rotation on team performance and success among 7,154 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball team performances collected over multiple seasons. Study findings demonstrate that depth of player rotation has a significant positive effect on game outcomes and that the relationship is conditioned by number of personal fouls, overall team strength and home court advantage. The pathways through which a larger rotation results in greater odds of winning include offensive rebounding, steals and overall defensive efficiency, all areas where the fresh legs, quick hands and sustained energy levels characteristic of a deeper bench can make a measurable difference. Advantages of a smaller core rotation are manifested at the offensive end of the court, notably in shooting percentages, ball control and overall offensive ratings."

In light of this, KE executed to a tee last night. Used the bench to try and buy the starters some rest, with the hope that fresh legs could keep SJU at bay. And if I recall it worked. I think our bench - while they couldn't score - didn't give up more than 2-4 points during their time on the court. Then, in the 2nd half when we needed to score, English did what the research suggested and played a tight rotation.

I was so panicked by the bench's inability to score I missed the forest for the trees.

For this I must offer up a mea culpa to KE and the board for a bad take.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Can we pause and shoutout to the St. Joes announcers who keep having to sit through Mason rallying to beat their team? They were begging for St. Joes to step up and get this game over the line.u

I think you are correct. They even made reference to the "Oh nooooo!" game comment and even threw in Ian Boyd's name and his last second heroics in multiple games. They were clearly St. Joe''s "homers" but not in an obnoxious way. Clearly commented on how SJU has failed to close in multiple games this year.

I think Lunardi has been on SJU's payroll since I first heard of him in reference to his ESPN's Bracketology column.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think you are correct. They even made reference to the "Oh nooooo!" game comment and even threw in Ian Boyd's name and his last second heroics in multiple games. They were clearly St. Joe''s "homers" but not in an obnoxious way. Clearly commented on how SJU has failed to close in multiple games this year.

I think Lunardi has been on SJU's payroll since I first heard of him in reference to his ESPN's Bracketology column.
“Homers” you must not watch the rest of the league including ours. They were about as objective as humanly possible. They were super negative about Lange end of game coaching and play calling and I would take Lunardi over Bill in a second

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
“Homers” you must not watch the rest of the league including ours. They were about as objective as humanly possible. They were super negative about Lange end of game coaching and play calling and I would take Lunardi over Bill in a second
Of coarse only you, The Douchey Jinx, would find a way to trash our beloved Bill Roland.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can we pause and shoutout to the St. Joes announcers who keep having to sit through Mason rallying to beat their team? They were begging for St. Joes to step up and get this game over the line.

Lunardi was there for the "Oh noooooo" game, but the PxP guy was different.
Lunardi even commented how one of their starters should really be a 6th man.
And both of them would be in agreement that refs calls against SJU were justified.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

They also talked positively about the emotion of English and Simpkins on the sideline. I wondered if they had heard about the commentary by the bozos at LaSalle and sought to counter that. There could be a P5 rivalry among broadcasters too. Last nights broadcasters made LaSalle guys look like the kids who do the announcements at elementary schools.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah I too thought the announcers were not too bad last night. They actually knew something about Mason and also would call out when St Joes actually made a mistake foul wise. You can tell they are agitated with Lange especially at the end. It just sorta made me laugh that those guys ran away from Schwartz leaving him wide open. They were miffed as well.

But not a chance I would take them over Bill.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah I too thought the announcers were not too bad last night. They actually knew something about Mason and also would call out when St Joes actually made a mistake foul wise. You can tell they are agitated with Lange especially at the end. It just sorta made me laugh that those guys ran away from Schwartz leaving him wide open. They were miffed as well.

But not a chance I would take them over Bill.

Rohland could use a color guy. I always thought he and Ric Wilson made a good team.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

They were good. Yeah they were the local guys but they weren't annoyingly unprofessional like Lasalle's guys. I think at one point of them was just openly shitting on the other for something he said lol.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Our defense has been a point of emphasis recently. We run various traps but rarely with the intensity needed to create steals. With our decent length, do we Amp this up late in the year? Or stick with help side defense overly sagging to create wide-open shots?? SJU makes a few of the open threes we gave, and that come back falls just short. Maybe a match up zone?? Teams get tight in tourney play and that's when a zone can help save legs...just ask Syracuse.