Game 20: HOMECOMING. GMU (14-5 / 3-3) vs Rhode Island (9-10 / 3-3) on Saturday, January 27, at 4:00PM.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I will say this until I’m blue in the face. Mason arrests students for the dumbest things, students are too scared to let loose
That was the reputation a long while ago. I haven’t seen any evidence of that recently. At the tailgates over the last three years, they have gone out of their way to NOT see stuff unless people have become a danger to themselves or others.

That was the reputation a long while ago. I haven’t seen any evidence of that recently. At the tailgates over the last three years, they have gone out of their way to NOT see stuff unless people have become a danger to themselves or others.

Students were a mess yesterday LOL. They had to shut down the mens room at half time because of multiple kids passed put or vomiting in bathrooms. I counted 4 ambulances at halftime outside.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah Mason turns a blind eye on homecoming. They need thst attitude the rest of the year.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
HUGE WIN!!!

This win will help with recruiting so much!!!!

BARAKA OKOJIE TAKEOVER

Glad I saw this game in-person!!!
This was a great game - saw in person. Hanging out with fraternity
The police were letting a lot go in the party lot this weekend - they drew the line at blatant weed smoke out.

Hm, suddenly Cabrera and to an extent Brad leave and suddenly homecoming becomes more fun... boy
what a surprise.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Probably more THC in students’ bloodstreams than alcohol these days. Not exactly the formula for a fired up crowd (so to speak).
Yeah - Observing the younger folk - it seemed they choose a different source of fun. But - walking around and meeting people the grilling going on - good stuff.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hm, suddenly Cabrera and to an extent Brad leave and suddenly homecoming becomes more fun... boy
what a surprise.
Tbf, the mason hates fun mantra goes back to my day under the Merten admin. Probably even before that.

But yeah, at least they seem somewhat more lenient to letting kids be kids.

Glad I got to see the game in person as well as meet people from here. Also happy that Tony is our coach. You can sense he is building something legit.
It was awesome to meet you! Even if I didn’t realize who you were lmao.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Tbf, the mason hates fun mantra goes back to my day under the Merten admin. Probably even before that.

But yeah, at least they seem somewhat more lenient to letting kids be kids.

It was awesome to meet you! Even if I didn’t realize who you were lmao.
FUN!!?? Back in my day, under President Dykstra,
we were there to LEARN, dagnabit!

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Yea this is really really needed- gotta get them involved and understood on Day one they’re on campus.
This totally needs to happen - but it's gotta be done in a way that makes it cool. You can't hold a "How to Cheer 101" workshop and expect these kids to show up excited to learn.

It almost has to be done in a way where it's more of an interactive intro to Mason basketball, maybe even led by Tony and the staff... get the students up and moving similar to a game of Simon Sez - but he's actually teaching them 2-3 of the main cheers and explaining how important this would be to the teams (M&W) and the school.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He said he thought we needed an offensive boost and so he put Hall back in. Hall had no reason to try to challenge the shot he did when he picked up his third.
Putting Hall back in was the right move, but if you do that, you've got to be ready to change course when the risk outweighs the benefits. I thought we should have pulled him back out when Rhody got the ball back with 40-something seconds to go. You know Rhody is going to kill the clock at that point, so we'd spend most of the final seconds defending.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
This totally needs to happen - but it's gotta be done in a way that makes it cool. You can't hold a "How to Cheer 101" workshop and expect these kids to show up excited to learn.

It almost has to be done in a way where it's more of an interactive intro to Mason basketball, maybe even led by Tony and the staff... get the students up and moving similar to a game of Simon Sez - but he's actually teaching them 2-3 of the main cheers and explaining how important this would be to the teams (M&W) and the school.
Agreed, and doing this in EBA to simulate the game experience would help translate when it's time for the real thing.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The 49% of the shots they missed were poor shots. :confused:
How many of their shots were threes - they were hot in the first half and cold in the second. Their reliance on outside shooting hurt them in the end. We kept pounding inside and it paid out - we got them into some fouls and we tired them out.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Really hard to go offense/defense when neither team is fouling (like an end of game scenario). Hall's 3rd came after a made basket. So unless you want him to take a T.O. there, you just got to trust him not to pick up the foul.
Hmm, I thought there was a deadball in the final minute where we could have gotten him back out, but maybe I'm wrong.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Agree 100% - this can't be a lecture class or something stupid like that. Has to be some sort of annual orientation tradition that is fun. May not do anything because winning helps the most - but if nothing more it encourages and shows people hey basketball exists come be a fan and have fun.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
8af8910153006f8eb0c0c35496fecc87.jpg