Game 20: HOMECOMING. GMU (14-5 / 3-3) vs Rhode Island (9-10 / 3-3) on Saturday, January 27, at 4:00PM.

GunstonsGhost

Preferred Walk-On
Mason needs to let the students have that environment every weekend. They turn a blind eye on homecoming and the students actually let loose, yet everyone is still behaved.
What happened a little after 3 in the tailgating area? A couple cruisers pulled up and ran in there. In general I agree though; a better pre-game atmosphere would bring more people to the games. The student section was to the rafters!

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What happened a little after 3 in the tailgating area? A couple cruisers pulled up and ran in there. In general I agree though; a better pre-game atmosphere would bring more people to the games. The student section was to the rafters!
I was standing right where the cop cars screeched to a halt. Moments
before, both my brother and I semlled a huge waft of weed smoke. I guess pot is illegal on campus. BUSTED!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How hard can this be. Students on there butts for whole game except for big plays. Green machine and students cannot even cheer defense together. I am not asking for this but come on. Good grief get a cheer leader. https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/basketball/video-of-gonzagas-student-section-goes-viral

Harder than you think. We really shouldn’t be that hard on the current crop of students. There has been zero leadership and zero consistency for such a long time that whatever traditions got implemented in the student section post-FF are long gone by now.

It’s going to take years and some dedication to get students to behave the way they’re supposed to at these games.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
How hard can this be. Students on there butts for whole game except for big plays. Green machine and students cannot even cheer defense together. I am not asking for this but come on. Good grief get a cheer leader. https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/basketball/video-of-gonzagas-student-section-goes-viral
The off beat defense chants do annoy me a bit. Honestly it’s the green machine and the weird extra stuff they throw into the chants that throws things off. They need to synch up with the students and arena, not the other way around. End of the day, it’s a very minor thing, and any noise is good noise in our arena, synched up or not.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Correct thanks for the support. The other thing that drives me crazy over the last 12 years is when we get dunk or Maddox hits a big three and there is a timeout instead of doing overhead dance music Doc Nix kicks the band up and the student/ crowd energy dies. I get it in 2010 and 2011 our students got it. I also appreciate the kids coming to the game but can they at least stand in unison until we score to start the game. Somebody get three Mason Maniack dudes in yellow and neon green and stand behind the basket with old style megaphones and tell the students what to do.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Correct thanks for the support. The other thing that drives me crazy over the last 12 years is when we get dunk or Maddox hits a big three and there is a timeout instead of doing overhead dance music Doc Nix kicks the band up and the student/ crowd energy dies. I get it in 2010 and 2011 our students got it. I also appreciate the kids coming to the game but can they at least stand in unison until we score to start the game. Somebody get three Mason Maniack dudes in yellow and neon green and stand behind the basket with old style megaphones and tell the students what to do.
Why bother with megaphones? Most of he students have earbuds stuffed in their ears anyway.

What bugged me was that we (the fans) were jammin' and singing to "Living on a Prayer" when the PA announcer for promos co-opts the tune spewing something about Ledo's Pizza! Arrgghhhh!! Buzz kill!!!

What did get the students going was a Mlley Cryus tune and the "hands up" diddy. Perhaps doing similar things that appeal more to their generation will get the students better involved rather than cramming stale, old-fart gimmicks from the 80s down their throats.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Baby Boomers Internet GIF

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me I am hearing a number of you say that Doc and the Green Machine is part of the problem.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me I am hearing a number of you say that Doc and the Green Machine is part of the problem.
No. Just need to freshen things up and do things that relate to each segment of the fan population. A little for the Boomers, a little for us Xers, a little for the millennials, a little for the Zers, and a little something extra special for the students. Each defined and relevant audience segment deserves their share.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No. Just need to freshen things up and do things that relate to each segment of the fan population. A little for the Boomers, a little for us Xers, a little for the millennials, a little for the Zers, and a little something extra special for the students. Each defined and relevant audience segment deserves their share.
Gotcha!