Game 20: Duquesne University, Saturday, January 23rd, 4 PM, NO TV

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We lost this game by not guarding the three point line in the first half.

But if we just had some more shooters, we could have won. The open shots were there.

I'd rather we learn how to guard first. Let's make ourselves a really good defensive team. As they say, anyone can have off shooting nights.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We lost this game by not guarding the three point line in the first half.

But if we just had some more shooters, we could have won. The open shots were there.

And not only more shooters, more consistent shooters.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Have to wonder if our freshmen are hitting a wall. Although Grayer stepped up with 15 points, Otis, Abram and Murrell shot a combined 20% (6-29). The good thing about this group is they always fight to the end even on off nights.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Have to wonder if our freshmen are hitting a wall. Although Grayer stepped up with 15 points, Otis, Abram and Murrell shot a combined 20% (6-29). The good thing about this group is they always fight to the end even on off nights.

Abram and Murrell haven't shot well at all this season (other than Abram's two really good games), so that's not a surprise there.

Otis looking very much like a freshman was, but I think the Duqs were really, really physical tonight and that must have thrown him off. He's not the biggest and strongest of guards.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Everyone we play just has more skilled players, bottom line. They can do what we can't. We have no answer right now either offensively or defensively. Will it come with time and recruiting? Time will tell. Couldn't even pack the RAC today, embarrassing.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Sad to say, this board's negativity is just about the only consistent thing about our program.

Even if the execution isn't the greatest right now, the coaches and players are clearly trying their hardest. With almost no time to prepare for this game, they battled back and made a game of it in the second half when they had every excuse to just roll over and quit. As fans, can we ask for anything more at this point?

It's fairly obvious to most of us that we're finally moving in the right direction again. Hewitt did massive damage to this program and Paulsen has been left to pick up the pieces. It's a long process.

In the meantime, why can't we just try to accentuate the positive?

Herndon

All-Conference
Jim,

Maybe I'm misreading the board, but I think folks realize that these are growing pains. Like, to be real negativity, I think people have to expect better. I think people are recognizing that we're a bad team right now, and that can be true even if the future looks better. To me there is a difference between pissing and moaning and being negative.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Even though Duq lost by a lot at vcu earlier in the week, I was surprised that the writeup (ESPN ?) that talked as if vcu had been outplayed. Many comments by Ram players (Cox?) and coach to that effect. How tough that Duq was and how hard they played, etc.

Murrell was often trying to box out a much bigger guy and was overwhelmed. The earlier comment on Royal being deep in the doghouse was on point.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Not pissing or moaning or being negative, just telling the truth as it exists right now. Our attendance does suck and fan support is low, we couldn't fill the RAC for crying out loud. The teams we play against have better, more experienced players, that's why we lose so much. Time will tell whether or not Paulsen can turn this around. I support the team either way. I WAS there today, unlike many who post here.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not pissing or moaning or being negative, just telling the truth as it exists right now. Our attendance does suck and fan support is low, we couldn't fill the RAC for crying out loud. The teams we play against have better, more experienced players, that's why we lose so much. Time will tell whether or not Paulsen can turn this around. I support the team either way. I WAS there today, unlike many who post here.

I'm not sure today's game is fair to criticize attendance though. I mean, a last minute Friday 2pm tipoff? Maybe more students should have shown up, but I don't know about you, when I was an undergrad I was barely out of bed by 2pm.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I was there but, to be fair, anyone who lives more than 3o minutes away (not me) deserves a gold star, or something, for showing up even at the outset of a widely heralded "historic" storm. Fortunately for me, I live within 15 minutes (on a normal day). Too far to walk, maybe, but easy enough. Even today, going home, it only was 20 minute ride---poor visibility but no sliding around.

Happy to have kept my perfect home "snow" game record intact. Thanks to those who moved the game to today, 'cause I wouldn't have been able to make a Sat. home game.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

If you don't think it's "pissing and moaning" to complain about attendance for a last-minute rescheduled game that was played during a major snowstorm, you and I obviously have different ideas of what the phrase means.

I also disagree that it will take time to know whether Paulsen can turn the program around. In less than a year on the job, he already has changed the culture and instilled habits common to successful program. That in many ways is more difficult than winning on the court.

The Virus had winning records his first two seasons, but it was painfully obvious we were moving in the wrong direction. Can't say that about Paulsen.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We're fans first, Jim, and as such unreasonable elation and despondency will follow any win or loss. It's tough to see your team just look completely physically overmatched by another -- and outside of maybe two games, this is how Paulsen's A-10 season has gone thus far.

It's also hard to see the positives when it feels like the team is going backwards.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Made the trip to the game. Loved the hat and was actually impressed with the crowd considering 24 hours notice, being told it was only for season ticket holders and a snowstorm.

Liked our fight in the second half, thought the smallball lineup did well, but was exploited after too much time. Our defense is dreadful though. A veteran backcourt that can shoot will always be trouble, but yikes, those guys could get an open 3 every time they wanted. The basketball IQ of some of our upperclassmen baffles me sometimes too.

We now get a week off after a pretty tough stretch. Anxious to see what we look like next time out.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jesus! Look at the numbers. Mason took 75 shots to Duqs 48! Duqs score 28 from the line to Mason's 13! Duqs shoot 58.3% and 9 makes behind the arc in the first half. Duqs play worse than Mason in the second half, and still win the game.

What does that add up to? Freshmen at the bottom and little skill (aside from Marko) at the top.

At least two years away from anything resembling respectability. Gotta grin and bear it, folks!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We're fans first, Jim, and as such unreasonable elation and despondency will follow any win or loss. It's tough to see your team just look completely physically overmatched by another -- and outside of maybe two games, this is how Paulsen's A-10 season has gone thus far.

It's also hard to see the positives when it feels like the team is going backwards.

Do you really think this team is going backwards? Seriously?

We've been up and down all season just like DP predicted.

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment.