Game 20: Duquesne University, Saturday, January 23rd, 4 PM, NO TV

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The bottom line is, we dont have the players to compete in A10. Atleast we make 400k a year more compared to being in CAA.

Herndon

All-Conference
We're fans first, Jim, and as such unreasonable elation and despondency will follow any win or loss. It's tough to see your team just look completely physically overmatched by another -- and outside of maybe two games, this is how Paulsen's A-10 season has gone thus far.

It's also hard to see the positives when it feels like the team is going backwards.

I'd actually even push back that it feels like the team is going backwards. I actually feel like the team is moving foward, it just has a LOT of moving forward to do :)

Again, I don't think there's a lot of actual unhappiness with the direction of the program, as much as tut-tutting about how far the program was allowed to fall. And yeah, it might be 2 years before this team is even a middle of the road A-10 team (although if point guards are going to continue to give us 15 boards a game, that's a good start)

patriotchild

Starter
To me the biggest sign of change was that jalen was patting his teammates asses and they all were trying to rally each other in the second half. That's something I haven't seen in a long time. But it coming from jalen really made me think something changed for the better.

Now if we could stop digging holes for ourselves in the first half and play like we do coming out of halftime we'd be winning more games.

All things considered, this team is usually only a few key plays from winning. We lost because we've run up deficits and have to battle back but make key mistakes when we get within striking distance. The Dukes hit a crazy amount of threes but we were still in it and we hand no reason to be. They need to clean up the key moments where we could swing momentum, but instead turn the ball over or take a bad shot.

4-5 key plays. That's all we are missing, even with the perceived lack of talent. I tend to think that this will get ironed out with time. Our guys are smart and are coachable. And most importantly our coaches teach the players.

All I've seen this year are positives. Even when we lose, I enjoy watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMU_Polevaulter

Preferred Walk-On
The program is moving in the right direction no doubt but still a ways to go.

Three of this freshman class have been given A-10 Rookie of the week (6 total so far this year - correct?)

The game was very physical - seems like the pushing, holding and shoving really got Shevon worked up.

The freshman continue to improve as does Moore.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
katz_andy_m.jpg

Duquesne beat George Mason Friday and left Fairfax, Va. at 4:30p. Spokesperson Dave Saba said in a text from the bus the team "made it PA Turnpike before we had to stop at 9:15 .... Been in the same spot ever since ... Guys have their electronics (our bus has been idling, so we have heat and power) ... Leftover pizza ... And a few Gatorades ... Honestly, we've had two people on this bus who have beaten cancer in the past two years (Derrick Colter and John Rhodes) ... I think our guys can handle this ..."

I feel for them. I understand the desire to try and get the game in this weekend, but why the 2pm start? They could have started at 11am or noon and could have been on the road before the worst of it started.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
[QUOTE="Five Two, post: 51461, member: 43]I feel for them. I understand the desire to try and get the game in this weekend, but why the 2pm start? They could have started at 11am or noon and could have been on the road before the worst of it started.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. Was thinking same thing yesterday. Just get the game in at 10 AM. No one is going to the game anyway. Let them get out of there!

liem.le.3388

Starter
[QUOTE="Five Two, post: 51461, member: 43]I feel for them. I understand the desire to try and get the game in this weekend, but why the 2pm start? They could have started at 11am or noon and could have been on the road before the worst of it started.

Couldn't agree more. Was thinking same thing yesterday. Just get the game in at 10 AM. No one is going to the game anyway. Let them get out of there![/QUOTE]
We should have rescheduled it in a way that would have favored us, like have it at 5am and make them aware of the time change at 2am.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
both sides agreed so lets not blame the host school. If they were dumb enough to agree that's on them.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Bottom line: they should've either played the game earlier or just planned to keep Duquesne lodged in the DMV until Sunday.

It's not like they were missing any classes today. Zero reason to travel in that mess ... Just asking to get stranded.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The bottom line is, we dont have the players to compete in A10. Atleast we make 400k a year more compared to being in CAA.

Mason has the players but they haven't been developed or do they have the depth to compete in the A10 as of yet.
Bottom line: they should've either played the game earlier or just planned to keep Duquesne lodged in the DMV until Sunday.

It's not like they were missing any classes today. Zero reason to travel in that mess ... Just asking to get stranded.

I agree, I suspect the idea was to try to get home before it got really bad. Hopefully they'll get home soon.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Bad planning all around. Game should have started at 11am. More fans could have attended and Duquesne would have been home yesterday.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
We should have rescheduled it in a way that would have favored us, like have it at 5am and make them aware of the time change at 2am.

G Mas still woulda lost.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Our problem is the same problem we've had all year and that is common to a team loaded with freshmen. When things start going bad, we can't pull ourselves out of the tailspin fast enough. That's where having an upperclassmen or two who can rally the guys or just say "I'm stopping this." and get a bucket is huge. The biggest positive I see is that guys are clearing not letting up one iota when things go wrong. No complaining, no finger pointing, just plugging away.

We'll get there, guys. Just have to have some patience. I still believe by the time we get to the A-10 tourney, we'll be dangerous.