Game 17: St. Joseph's University, Wednesday, January 13th, 7 PM, NO TV

GMU92

Starter
Pretty much our entire freshman class this year and next year are going to have up and down games and moments. They have to build their maturity and experience in order to compete at the Atlantic 10 level. It'll come, but they have to be able to handle "the storm" of the other team going on a run without completely losing composure. Abram is certainly apart of that, and I think we all look forward to him Grayer Murrell and Livingst growing the next few years together.

The Hawk is annoying, but its not going to stop since its their long standing tradition. He flapped one wing during the National Anthem.

We also noticed and were annoyed by the flapping wings during the National Anthem, but I almost got the impression that the mascot tried to turn the one wing flapping into a kind of repeating "salute" to the flag. (better, but still not appropriate) Honestly, they need to just cut that out and have the wing flapping from the opening tip off to the final buzzer.

Steve33

Sixth Man
We also noticed and were annoyed by the flapping wings during the National Anthem, but I almost got the impression that the mascot tried to turn the one wing flapping into a kind of repeating "salute" to the flag. (better, but still not appropriate) Honestly, they need to just cut that out and have the wing flapping from the opening tip off to the final buzzer.

either way the guy inside the suit must have the strongest arms ever. My arms would get tired very quickly. haha

GMU92

Starter
either way the guy inside the suit must have the strongest arms ever. My arms would get tired very quickly. haha

Yea, that is kinda crazy - I noticed that the person in the mascot suit seems to have mastered a kind of arm "throw" using the back and shoulders, easing the strain on the arms somewhat; otherwise I'm not sure how they'd do it.

liem.le.3388

Starter
With Copes not graduating I think Jenkins might graduate with being the best fouler in program history. 11 min last night and 5 fouls, simply amazing!

liem.le.3388

Starter
Looks like Paulsen's punishment to the team for last night's game was forcing them to go into DC and walk around in this cold.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It's important for the team to take advantage of our location (as well as Rector Tom Davis' (former Congressman) connections to get a bigger picture of the US beyond what they see on basketball courts.

https://twitter.com/MasonMBB

My two best friends and I were such nerds in HS, we'd ditch and spend the day touring the museums and other buildings in DC. Real rebels.

One time I got busted by my mom and tried to sell it as an impromptu field trip. She wasn't buying.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My two best friends and I were such nerds in HS, we'd ditch and spend the day touring the museums and other buildings in DC. Real rebels.

One time I got busted by my mom and tried to sell it as an impromptu field trip. She wasn't buying.

Those of you who grew up in DC got spoiled by all the free Smithonians.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pretty much our entire freshman class this year and next year are going to have up and down games and moments. They have to build their maturity and experience in order to compete at the Atlantic 10 level. It'll come, but they have to be able to handle "the storm" of the other team going on a run without completely losing composure. Abram is certainly apart of that, and I think we all look forward to him Grayer Murrell and Livingston growing the next few years together.

The Hawk is annoying, but its not going to stop since its their long standing tradition. He flapped one wing during the National Anthem.

Grayer and Livingston had flashes of brilliance tonight, but Murrell and Abram looked like they did not belong on the court. Not sure why Paulsen kept cycling them both back in. Marko or Jalen need to take Abram's spot in the starting lineup. Abram is not big enough yet to be guarding a PF on the block all game.

With time we have already seen improvement.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Grayer and Livingston had flashes of brilliance tonight, but Murrell and Abram looked like they did not belong on the court. Not sure why Paulsen kept cycling them both back in. Marko or Jalen need to take Abram's spot in the starting lineup. Abram is not big enough yet to be guarding a PF on the block all game.

With time we have already seen improvement.

You may be right, but when Jenkins is in foul trouble and Marko can be susceptible on defense, there aren't much in terms of options. Its pretty bad when Paulsen doesn't even put Royal in the game when they need help at the "4".

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You may be right, but when Jenkins is in foul trouble and Marko can be susceptible on defense, there aren't much in terms of options. Its pretty bad when Paulsen doesn't even put Royal in the game when they need help at the "4".

I agree. Marko's defense is not noteworthy in the slightest and with Jalen picking up that BS moving screen foul that hindered his entire game we were done for. The people I sit with really love Abram's game but I am not seeing it so far. He may just need to bulk up a ton but something else doesn't convey to me.

Royal is the second worst four star recruit to play at Mason.... At least he doesn't disappoint me night in and night out like the other guy did.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree. Marko's defense is not noteworthy in the slightest and with Jalen picking up that BS moving screen foul that hindered his entire game we were done for. The people I sit with really love Abram's game but I am not seeing it so far. He may just need to bulk up a ton but something else doesn't convey to me.

Royal is the second worst four star recruit to play at Mason.... At least he doesn't disappoint me night in and night out like the other guy did.

Abram definitely is raw in some respects, and hopefully he'll develop as time goes on and maybe even play more at the "3" as depth becomes less of an issue and he bulks. Marko at least "tries hard" on defense and has shown some ability to improve, whereas Royal usually misses an assignment, throws up an airball, and throws the ball away within 5 minutes, lol.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Abram definitely is raw in some respects, and hopefully he'll develop as time goes on and maybe even play more at the "3" as depth becomes less of an issue and he bulks. Marko at least "tries hard" on defense and has shown some ability to improve, whereas Royal usually misses an assignment, throws up an airball, and throws the ball away within 5 minutes, lol.

I'm not going to pretend that I have the ear of our coaching staff, but I talk to people who do and they all say that Abram already is about a gazillion miles ahead of where they expected him to be as a true freshman.

He averages 6.4 points and 2.9 rebounds per game, which compares favorably to the vast majority of freshmen in our program's history -- and he's done so while playing out of position as a 182-pound "power" forward.

He scored 51 points in two games. I'm willing to bet there are members of our staff who didn't think he'd play enough to score 51 points all season.

Abram also has a couple things working in his favor for the future -- he's a long 6-7 with good athleticism/leaping ability, and he's a gym rat who is willing to work his a** off to improve.

Remember, this is a kid who didn't have a single D-I offer when Mason signed him in the spring.

If he remains coachable and willing to put in the offseason work to get stronger, he has a chance to be a very good player for us for the next 3 years.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not going to pretend that I have the ear of our coaching staff, but I talk to people who do and they all say that Abram already is about a gazillion miles ahead of where they expected him to be as a true freshman.

He averages 6.4 points and 2.9 rebounds per game, which compares favorably to the vast majority of freshmen in our program's history -- and he's done so while playing out of position as a 182-pound "power" forward.

He scored 51 points in two games. I'm willing to bet there are members of our staff who didn't think he'd play enough to score 51 points all season.

Abram also has a couple things working in his favor for the future -- he's a long 6-7 with good athleticism/leaping ability, and he's a gym rat who is willing to work his a** off to improve.

Remember, this is a kid who didn't have a single D-I offer when Mason signed him in the spring.

If he remains coachable and willing to put in the offseason work to get stronger, he has a chance to be a very good player for us for the next 3 1/2 years.

Definitely agree, the fact hes been able to contribute as much as he already has is great. That being said, because of the lack of depth and inexperience etc etc, that is why hes vulnerable. But its also completely expected. I much rather see him learn and build for the future, than throw Royal out there and see him look confused as a 5th year senior.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
I would prefer to see Marko back starting over Abram. While the back to back scoring outbursts are a great indication of his future potential, the rest of the games show he is inconsistent at this point, and Marko is our most consistent and arguably best player prior to the suspension.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I would prefer to see Marko back starting over Abram. While the back to back scoring outbursts are a great indication of his future potential, the rest of the games show he is inconsistent at this point, and Marko is our most consistent and arguably best player prior to the suspension.

If we're going to lose anyhow -- and face it, we're going to lose a lot (thanks Hewitt!) -- why not play the kids and let them learn on the job?

Marko has 15 games left in a Mason uniform. Barring something unforeseen, Abram has 15 games plus 3 seasons.

The objective, best I can tell, is to really be turning the corner in Year 3 and seriously contending for an NCAA bid when the current freshmen are seniors.

Anything that delays that process, IMHO, is not worth winning a couple extra games this season and finishing 4-14 instead of 2-16.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we're going to lose anyhow -- and face it, we're going to lose a lot (thanks Hewitt!) -- why not play the kids and let them learn on the job?

Marko has 15 games left in a Mason uniform. Barring something unforeseen, Abram has 15 games plus 3 seasons.

The objective, best I can tell, is to really be turning the corner in Year 3 and seriously contending for an NCAA bid when the current freshmen are seniors.

Anything that delays that process, IMHO, is not worth winning a couple extra games this season and finishing 4-14 instead of 2-16.

I'm much more concerned with how the team plays as a unit than any individual mpg totals our freshman get. And I think the players who are executing the coach's gameplan the best should be on the floor regardless of class. This is how you build a team for the future. Abram is going to play a lot of minutes regardless who starts anyway.

Having said that, Marko probably would still be a starter had he not gotten himself suspended and he may very well work his way back into the starting lineup (I really do think he makes the offense run much more smoothly when he's in there).

Abrams versatility (being able to play the 2, 3 or 4) is going to serve us well in the next 3 years whether he starts or not.

GMUSig03

All-Conference

I've never agreed with the philosophy of "we are going to lose, so screw it, play the young guys over guys who are better then them right now". I see the merit and the reasoning behind your argument, just have never agreed with it as I think the best players deserve to play. To not play a player simply because he is a senior is simply not fair. It may also create a sense of entitlement in the younger player by handing them a starting position they haven't full earned by beating out every other guy on the team for the spot.

I think it is overrated how big an impact it will have on a player like Abrams in the future by getting 25 mpg instead of 15, or whatever it may be. He is going to get better more because of hours spent in the gym receiving coaching, practicing and working on his craft then in the additional 120 minutes of game time he may get by playing ahead of someone who is older, IMO.

Finally, in looking at the stats - Marko played 29 mins against SJ and Abrams only played 23, so maybe this is much ado about nothing, haha.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe Marko should be starting, simple just to help set the tone early on offense (something we have struggled with ever since he got suspended). But I have no problem with Abram playing starter's minutes.