Game 17: GMU (13-3 / 2-1) at Richmond (10-5 / 2-0) on Saturday, January 13, at 6:00 PM.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Middle of the pack. Think we’ve got some serious holes on offense that got masked by good matchups in OOC play. Must win at GW or the rails might fall off this season.
Yes, we need better shooting.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Middle of the pack. Think we’ve got some serious holes on offense that got masked by good matchups in OOC play. Must win at GW or the rails might fall off this season.
Was thinking the exact same thing......

nchocola

Walk-On
This was the first game Tony was clearly outcoached. It took him too long to get billups one on one with King. He tried 2/3 1/3/1 and they just ended up getting several open shots that they knocked down. He has the defensive personnel to go man to man with a lot of teams in the A10. 2/3 and 1/3/1 should only be a change of pace look for this team only.

Coaching was the difference in this one.

Tony will learn from this one. He has done a great job overall and will continue to get better as he goes.

Still sucks to lose this one.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It will be a different game next time.

I do think our offense has to be more than Maddox making hard jumpers. And guys dribbling thru the top of the key. And guys spinning out of control. And guys missing bunnys.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Some of you guys are just miserable. Bad defensive start tonight, but the guys fought back and had a chance at the end. Was more disappointed in the vcu home loss. It’s called perspective. If you told me, we’d be 13-4 at this point in Tony’s first year I’d take it.
I would too. But the last two Ls put a different spin on the 13-4, and don't look good for the team going forward.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Some of you guys are just miserable. Bad defensive start tonight, but the guys fought back and had a chance at the end. Was more disappointed in the vcu home loss. It’s called perspective. If you told me, we’d be 13-4 at this point in Tony’s first year I’d take it.

It’s just tempering expectations. Like I said, next 3 are not going to be easy games.

Then you’ve got Dayton at home, UMass twice, St. Joes again. and have to play this same Richmond team in the last game of the regular season.

Next three games will tell us a lot about how the rest of the season will go.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Based on what exactly? Can we let things play out before we determine the season is a loss and Tony is not what you expected? I surely didn’t expect us to go 17-1 in conference.

Offense has begun to stagnate a bit and the 3-point defense has become a true weakness of the team.

GW, St. Joes, UMass, Dayton, and Richmond are all good 3-point shooting teams. Duquesne and Bona also have some great shooters on their teams too. That’s 10 out of our remaining 14 games going up against guards who could light us up if we don’t tighten up that part of our defense.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Offense has begun to stagnate a bit and the 3-point defense has become a true weakness of the team.

GW, St. Joes, UMass, Dayton, and Richmond are all good 3-point shooting teams. Duquesne and Bona also have some great shooters on their teams too. That’s 10 out of our remaining 14 games going up against guards who could light us up if we don’t tighten up that part of our defense.
Admittedly, I tend to be a glass half empty fan. I'm here though.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Based on what exactly? Can we let things play out before we determine the season is a loss and Tony is not what you expected? I surely didn’t expect us to go 17-1 in conference.
I didn't say the season is a loss. I didn't say Tony is not what we expected. I didn't expect us to go 17-1.
I said that losing two in a row with tough games ahead of us don't give a promising outlook.
Which is exactly true. That is absolutely inarguable. THAT is what I am basing it on. Don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

The defense was fine tonight. King had a hand in his face on all but one of his 3s, he was just on an absolute heater. Been a long time since I’ve seen a guy in that kind of zone … he was making 25-foot fadeaways look like layups.

Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opposing team and this is one of those times.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This was the first game Tony was clearly outcoached. It took him too long to get billups one on one with King. He tried 2/3 1/3/1 and they just ended up getting several open shots that they knocked down. He has the defensive personnel to go man to man with a lot of teams in the A10. 2/3 and 1/3/1 should only be a change of pace look for this team only.

Coaching was the difference in this one.

Tony will learn from this one. He has done a great job overall and will continue to get better as he goes.

Still sucks to lose this one.
Other than doubling him on every touch, which is hard against an off-ball guard, can’t think of anything Tony (or any other coach) could’ve done against King tonight. We extended the defense after his first couple 3s but he was hitting from the logo — there’s really no defense for that.