Game 17: GMU (13-3 / 2-1) at Richmond (10-5 / 2-0) on Saturday, January 13, at 6:00 PM.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The defense was fine tonight. King had a hand in his face on all but one of his 3s, he was just on an absolute heater. Been a long time since I’ve seen a guy in that kind of zone … he was making 25-foot fadeaways look like layups.

Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opposing team and this is one of those times.

I was extending that back a bit—gave up 8 3 pointers to La Salle in the first half (thankfully they went cold), and 7 each to SLU and vcu (although with vcu on 25 attemps so on a bad percentage).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I was extending that back a bit—gave up 8 3 pointers to La Salle in the first half (thankfully they went cold), and 7 each to SLU and vcu (although with vcu on 25 attemps so on a bad percentage).
Sure, and I do think there’s an element of playing the percentages involved in trying to take away the paint and force teams to beat us over the top. This was the first game an opponent has shot the lights out against us. It happens.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sure, and I do think there’s an element of playing the percentages involved in trying to take away the paint and force teams to beat us over the top. This was the first game an opponent has shot the lights out against us. It happens.

Bad time to let it happen, same with going 0-15 from 3 the last game.

I’m not saying all is lost or that we’re going to go 6-12 in the A10 or anything but after 4 games I think it’s pretty clear that we are in a tier with about 10 other teams all vying for spots 2-11 and it’s going to be razor thin margins the whole way.

In other words, I think the probability we finish 2nd is about the same as us finishing 10th and in the pillow fight and it might be a 2 game margin that puts us in one or the other.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I didn't say the season is a loss. I didn't say Tony is not what we expected. I didn't expect us to go 17-1.
I said that losing two in a row with tough games ahead of us don't give a promising outlook.
Which is exactly true. That is absolutely inarguable. THAT is what I am basing it on. Don't put words in my mouth.
So what exactly are you saying? I would also infer that people on here, like you, are saying this coaching staff won’t adjust which is not what I have seen so far. To the contrary, they’ve been quick to adjust in game and between games. But I guess you guys can go ahead and put up the Ls now so you can say “I told you so” if we don’t go 14-4 in conference

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So what exactly are you saying? I would also infer that people on here, like you, are saying this coaching staff won’t adjust which is not what I have seen so far. To the contrary, they’ve been quick to adjust in game and between games. But I guess you guys can go ahead and put up the Ls now so you can say “I told you so” if we don’t go 14-4 in conference

14-4 is out of the question now. No way we go 12-2 the rest of the way. We haven’t even played a top team yet.

I said we were likely to go 11-7 or 10-8 before the start of the conference season—briefly got my hopes up with how the rest of the conference was playing and now I’m back to thinking 11-7 or 10-8 is about right.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not seeing much distinguishing Mason from the middle of the A-10. Would anyone be stunned if Mason lost the next 2? Won the next 2? Split them? In the middle, playing the middle.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Not seeing much distinguishing Mason from the middle of the A-10. Would anyone be stunned if Mason lost the next 2? Won the next 2? Split them? In the middle, playing the middle.
Kenpom currently projecting us as 10-8 in the A10 along with (order based on Kenpom ranking from best to worst):
Bonnies
Mason
UMass
Loyola

all of whom are behind Dayton (15-3) and Richmond (12-6).

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I won't be "stunned" either way. It's Tony's first season. Mason seems to have to play a half before the defense figures out how to limit their opponents.

Gotta find better offensive play. During the vcu presser, Key said that he knows what he has to do—find the open man and pick his spots. Didn't do much of that today. Ronnie played well, can he remain consistent and reliable? Maddox may have come out of his slump in the 2nd half today—desperately need him back at full throttle. Would like to see Okojie drive in more and either get the assist, get the layup, or hit the free throw line. He's capable.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I also never said this staff won't adjust.
Where are you getting all this stuff you are making up? I told you exactly what I said.
Do you enjoy building straw men so you can knock them down?

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"We didn't match the energy and intensity Richmond brought at the start of the game," head coach Tony Skinn ('06) said. "We can't go into these games on the road and spot teams points. Every team in this league is too good to have to keep trying to come back from these deficits. We gave it a fight at the end of the game but it wasn't enough."

nchocola

Walk-On
I don’t necessarily agree with this. They could have hedged on screens. They could have played much more aggressive over the top on screens and forced him off the 3 line. They played too much zone against a guy that was lighting them up from 3.

When someone is hot you have to get the ball out of his hands. Let someone else try to beat you. I didn’t see any of that in the 1st half. Like Tony said the team had a lack of energy in the 1st half as well.

Towards the end, Tony made the adjustment and put billups man to man basically the whole way down the court, and they got back into the game. King didn’t do too much after that.

Again, I’m not canning Tony. It’s his 1st year running the show. He’s been great and he made the adjustment in the 2nd half and got them back into the game. I think it was just a tad late. He will continue to get better. I’m still optimistic about this season.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I also never said this staff won't adjust.
Where are you getting all this stuff you are making up? I told you exactly what I said.
Do you enjoy building straw men so you can knock them down?
I don’t know… Do you enjoy being Captain Obvious? We need to score more… We could be in trouble…Ah, whatever

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t know… Do you enjoy being Captain Obvious? We need to score more… We could be in trouble…Ah, whatever
If you read what I wrote, you wouldn't be so ignorant. Apparently noone else has trouble reading. Try a remedial class.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Bad time to let it happen, same with going 0-15 from 3 the last game.

I’m not saying all is lost or that we’re going to go 6-12 in the A10 or anything but after 4 games I think it’s pretty clear that we are in a tier with about 10 other teams all vying for spots 2-11 and it’s going to be razor thin margins the whole way.

In other words, I think the probability we finish 2nd is about the same as us finishing 10th and in the pillow fight and it might be a 2 game margin that puts us in one or the other.
In back to back games, one of the top 3-point shooting teams in the A-10 went 0 for 15 and then had a guy go absolutely nuclear on us.

Despite all that, the total margin of the two losses was 11 points.

I’m honestly encouraged. Fluky stuff happens in sports sometimes, but our team is solid and good and over the long haul that should bear out.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In back to back games, one of the top 3-point shooting teams in the A-10 went 0 for 15 and then had a guy go absolutely nuclear on us.

I’m honestly encouraged. Fluky stuff happens in sports sometimes, but our team is solid and good and over the long haul that should bear out.
I share this view. Hall picking up the two early fouls didn't help. Outside of King, we held the rest of the team to<40% from the field. We continue to hit our FTs. We didn't turn the ball over 18 times. We fought back and gave ourselves a chance.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I’ll feel a lot better if we win the next two about how the rest of the season will go. Bona might be desperate for a win in the same way vcu was when they came in here, so they’re going to be dangerous.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I couldn't watch as closely yesterday but I could tell that Mason let Richmond get out to a large lead and came back and just ran out of gas at the end. From what I also saw, they got hosed on a few calls as well.

Jordan King is an absolute stud, and if I had to guess next time we play them, it won't be as easy. Right now Richmond is 3-0 in conference looking like a top 4, and I'm glad that Mason will have a second shot at them, at home.