Game 17: GMU (13-3 / 2-1) at Richmond (10-5 / 2-0) on Saturday, January 13, at 6:00 PM.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Wow! That's a welcome change in tone!
And I would add, we will not always be losing to vcu. Tony is starting something special here.
It's not a change. I have posted that all year, Tony has done a great job. It was a complete dumpster fire for a while now. It just sucks losing to French Fry Clown U. They suck at everything but hoops. I have no clue how a dumpster fire school like that has figured out hoops but mason got it so wrong for so many years. It's insane.

But anyway it will never suck any less losing to those hipster clowns.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It's not a change. I have posted that all year, Tony has done a great job. It was a complete dumpster fire for a while now. It just sucks losing to French Fry Clown U. They suck at everything but hoops. I have no clue how a dumpster fire school like that has figured out hoops but mason got it so wrong for so many years. It's insane.

But anyway it will never suck any less losing to those hipster clowns.
Yep, losing to them is the worst.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Yep, losing to them is the worst.
I will also stand by the fact the state of college sports is an absolute nightmare. It's impossible to make tournament for schools like mason. You have to be perfect! They used to be able to get NIT but even that's gone.

Here's perfect example. Even on this page. people talk up bad teams. Michigan and MSU are horrible this year. The BIG10 is also pretty much a joke at hoops compared to big east, acc and big 12, has been and will continue to be. Honestly outside Michigan and Ohio State they pretty much are a joke at football too. However what do you see in the polls? What do you see in the Tournament? Big10, Big10, Big10. Who goes out early every year? Big 10, they suck!

What happened this year? An average JMU team beats a bad MSU and they get propped up by a horrible system. If Mason played JMU today. They win! That's why the lost rivals really hurt. The A10 for mason makes little to no sense. JMU isn't any good but they scheduled correctly and are now taking advanatge. They then lost to a complete garbage team. Where as it won't even hurt them. We lose to a team that always gives us everything they have and it will kill us.

Mason is and will continue to have to fight against everyone to win back any respect. It's not coming overnight. When big 10 and some of these other teams get propped up by Money and control it is what it is.

It's just really annoying how Football ruined college basketball. Trying to convince casual fans to care about Loyola ? Lasalle? HA. Yeah right. What casual fan in NOVA even knows what they are? A cult, a college or who knows. Not sure i really know what these places are, it's a great question. Are they cults?

It's just really annoying the whole state of college sports. It's a rigged deck and it may get even worse before we know it.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don’t know what you are talking about. The A10 makes a lot of sense for Mason (particularly after vcu left the CAA and ODU went football). It’s the 8th best conference this year and if Mason goes 13-5 (as you suggested) depending on where those wins and losses are, they’ll have 1-2 Q1 wins, and between 6-8 Q2 wins. They’ll be pushing top 50 at that point and certainly on the bubble.

We don’t know what the NCAA is going to do with the 20 at-large bids for the NIT. Sure, the 12 AQs are going to go to P6 schools, but there are possible advantages to that for a conference like the A10 (1, a crappy low major conference winner can’t steal a spot by losing the conference tournament, 2, the NCAA is really going to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel of the P6 to load up the NIT if they give conferences 6-8 NCAA teams plus 2 NIT teams and so there might be opportunities for MWC, A10, and MVC schools to take those 20 spots).

Who knows, maybe all 32 teams will come from the top 6 conferences?

masonhoops1984

Role Player
I don’t know what you are talking about. The A10 makes a lot of sense for Mason (particularly after vcu left the CAA and ODU went football). It’s the 8th best conference this year and if Mason goes 13-5 (as you suggested) depending on where those wins and losses are, they’ll have 1-2 Q1 wins, and between 6-8 Q2 wins. They’ll be pushing top 50 at that point and certainly on the bubble.

We don’t know what the NCAA is going to do with the 20 at-large bids for the NIT. Sure, the 12 AQs are going to go to P6 schools, but there are possible advantages to that for a conference like the A10 (1, a crappy low major conference winner can’t steal a spot by losing the conference tournament, 2, the NCAA is really going to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel of the P6 to load up the NIT if they give conferences 6-8 NCAA teams plus 2 NIT teams and so there might be opportunities for MWC, A10, and MVC schools to take those 20 spots).

Who knows, maybe all 32 teams will come from the top 6 conferences?
Pretty much! All 32 will be out of the 6. All about Money! And yeah garbage teams like MSU are going to get in. It's history and rigged system. Big10 has to hit their quota.

As far as the rest, Mason has zero rivals in A10 outside vcu and they say we suck! It's bad for fans and why it sits empty. No one cares about a private Richmond school or the cult colleges in the north. Lots of privates, so again either win and try and make post season or it sits empty. At this point the numbers just aren't there. It's AQ or bust. They won't have another Q1 all year.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pretty much! All 32 will be out of the 6. All about Money! And yeah garbage teams like MSU are going to get in. It's history and rigged system. Big10 has to hit their quota.

As far as the rest, Mason has zero rivals in A10 outside vcu and they say we suck! It's bad for fans and why it sits empty. No one cares about a private Richmond school or the cult colleges in the north. Lots of privates, so again either win and try and make post season or it sits empty. At this point the numbers just aren't there. It's AQ or bust. They won't have another Q1 all year.

Dayton at home and St. Joes on the road are both Q1 games right now. UMass on the road is getting close as is Richmond on the road. Possibility we have 4 Q1 games in the A10 by the end of the season.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
TJ Cline plays over in Israel and had to get out once the war started. Pretty wild stuff he went through.

Leaving a country four days after a a very small section of it got attacked? I’m not trying to be political but this doesn’t sound like he went through much of anything at all unless there are a lot of details omitted.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
wondering why there isn't an Athletic Department-sponsored bus trip to Richmond on this holiday weekend

hoops10

Sixth Man
This game will be similar to the vcu game, back and forth. Decided in the last 3 minutes. Mooney is a very good coach. This will be a test for coach TS. Let's hope he learned from it. What really hurt other than the 0-15 shots were the two missed one and one free throws from Kelly and Hall. Both of them are excellent free throw shooters. Stuff happens, I'll bet on our guys to take this one. 74- 70.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Leaving a country four days after a a very small section of it got attacked? I’m not trying to be political but this doesn’t sound like he went through much of anything at all unless there are a lot of details omitted.
Rockets were flying all over Israel during that time.