Game 15: University of Massachusetts, Sunday, January 11th, 1 PM, NO TV

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
"and with Massachusetts Coach Derek Kellogg calls of “box out” audible through the mostly empty arena..."

Ouch!

UMASS had a total of 10 assistant coaches on their bench. Joe S and I counted 10! Well atleast 10 older looking men in suits so we thought they were all assistants. 5-6 of them were completely engaged and vocal in the game. Yelling things to their players, pumping them up, teaching them things when they would come to the bench. Man...... must be nice to have assistants who give a shit and support their team.

Our assistants suck a**

wijg

Starter
UMASS had a total of 10 assistant coaches on their bench. Joe S and I counted 10! Well atleast 10 older looking men in suits so we thought they were all assistants.
I caught the end of the game on the stream and after the post game pleasantries, I saw a flock of guys in dark suits walk by camera. I thought for sure some govie with secret service detail must be there. I guess it was just the UMASS coaching brigade.

I have no evidence any of the assistants are great, but, I try not to be too hard on anyone but Hewitt. I think it is hard to judge anyone under the Hewitt "system". Instead, I try to look for those that shine through the fog that is Hewitt's coaching...

I love Shevon and wish our new coach was going to have him for more than one year.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Same old thing during the Hewitt era - look ok for much of the game, then play 10-15 minutes of awful ball. Scramble to get back in the game, but inevitably it's not enough.

I liked the Larranaga philosophy of breaking the game down into 4 minute segments. So tired of 10 minute stretches in which GMU scores 2 points.

GMU_Polevaulter

Preferred Walk-On
Yup this week was a bust and a big let down. This team has shown that they can play
well and Shevon gives the coach something to build upon. I thought from the ODU game through La Salle (except for OKLA) the team showed improvement and was playing well. Win or lose they were improving - so it made it easy to watch.

Richmond and UMass not great teams this year - GMU could have won both games. It's not so much that they lost, but in both games it looks like we went backwards - lazy D, sloppy passes and silly shots - that makes it tough to watch or even care about the game - so the AD should be worried because the few fans left still watching are checking out.

Teams in 3 pt shooting slumps - can't wait to play us. Before The Richmond and UMass game - both teams were shooting terrible behind the arc... amazing what a wide open look does for your stats.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Belongs in the Hate thread -- as in, I f*cking hate the NFL's stupid-a** rule on what is and isn't a "catch" or a "move common to the game."

Yeah agreed. The NFL wrote that rule soo poorly that catches come off the board every single week, and often times can lead to effecting the game. 1000 times over, Dez caught that.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I wasn't there and thankful that I didn't go. Were there really 3,500+ in attendance?

Anybody know why Hewitt chewed out Gray during the first half? They were coming to the bench for a timeout and Hewitt cussed at him. I've never seen Hewitt cuss. I was taking a nap at the time so I missed what Gray did. Anybody see it?

You've never seen Hewitt cuss? Was this the first game you've been to? /sarcasm

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Oh, you say Mason gave up a big run and blew another half time lead to lose at home???

Meh.

That's just who we are now under Paul Ball II.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
For those who didn't attend, allow me to list my top 6 highlights (in no particular order):

(1) Shevon Thompson's rebound & dunk of a missed Isaiah Jackson layup (2nd consecutive game for this play)

(2) The Diaper Derby at halftime

(3) Doc Nix & the Green Machine

(4) Jalen Jenkins' passing

(5) Shevon's blocked shots

(6) Corey Edwards' & Isaiah's shooting behind the arc (a combined 5-9)

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
(6) Corey Edwards' & Isaiah's shooting behind the arc (a combined 5-9)

It's time to start Corey at SG and bring Gray off the bench. His ill-fated drive at the end of the game aside, Corey played a great game and is by far our most consistent perimeter shooter and defender. Start Moore, Corey, Jackson, Jenkins and Thompson.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
It's time to start Corey at SG and bring Gray off the bench. His ill-fated drive at the end of the game aside, Corey played a great game and is by far our most consistent perimeter shooter and defender. Start Moore, Corey, Jackson, Jenkins and Thompson.

Yes, it's certainly time to start Marquise, Corey & Isaiah together in the backcourt.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Sadly, that drive was exactly what he was directed to do. Hewitt mentioned in his presser that if they got a steal, Jackson, Moore and Edwards were supposed to drive and kick (with asking the team to space), or dump it off to Thompson. I had no voice yesterday but my friend next to me said for me (along with everyone else) when it was about to occur was saying "Corey No! Corey No!" :bricks:

Richmond and UMass not great teams this year - GMU could have won both games. It's not so much that they lost. .

It really isn't. If we just could show slow, consistent improvement over the course of a year, maybe winning around half our games, I wouldn't be entirely dissatisfied. This team has talent, but even with Thompson I don't think any one thinks this is a 20-win team with this schedule even with a good coach.

But it's always one step forward two steps back (opposites attract), with wildly inconsistent effort and play. I'm okay with some scoring droughts with this obviously offensively-challenged team, but ours are too long and made worse by stupid play (often not getting the ball inside).

Dallas sucks.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Sadly, that drive was exactly what he was directed to do. Hewitt mentioned in his presser that if they got a steal, Jackson, Moore and Edwards were supposed to drive and kick (with asking the team to space), or dump it off to Thompson. I had no voice yesterday but my friend next to me said for me (along with everyone else) when it was about to occur was saying "Corey No! Corey No!" :bricks:

The only logic (if there is such a thing with Hewitt) as to this direction is to expect to get to the foul line, but let's face it, the refs were not calling that for the most part yesterday. Cory could have stopped and popped a 10 foot shot, and see what happens from there.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought it was a better crowd than I anticipated. We used the trick of having about 50 middle schoolers sing the national anthem which helped.

Not sure anyone mentioned it, but if we convert off of Corey's steal this game would have been almost the exact same of what UMass did to us at the PC last year, stealing one late. But, since I still have not forcibly sodomized ACW our horrid post-2006 luck continues. Sorry guys.

We lost this game in the first 10 minutes of the second half. We scored 6 points in those 10 minutes and just seemed to be going through the motions. Also, for anyone that was in the gold room pre-game part of Coach Kreider's analysis was that UMass is not very good at shooting from the outside, but prefers to attack the rim. Oops.