Game 15: University of Massachusetts, Sunday, January 11th, 1 PM, NO TV

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The only logic (if there is such a thing with Hewitt) as to this direction is to expect to get to the foul line, but let's face it, the refs were not calling that for the most part yesterday. Cory could have stopped and popped a 10 foot shot, and see what happens from there.

In fairness to the refs, you normally don't expect a foul to be called when the defender blocks the shot with both hands without jumping.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The only logic (if there is such a thing with Hewitt) as to this direction is to expect to get to the foul line, but let's face it, the refs were not calling that for the most part yesterday. Cory could have stopped and popped a 10 foot shot, and see what happens from there.

I also don't think he expected it to be Lalanne who lost the ball so he was just sitting back there under the basket waiting.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hewitt also said he thought that UMass was pushing our players in the hip on drives and had addressed it with the refs. He implied that he was expecting to get the call the next time that happened, but Lalanne made a great defensive play.

Coach L

Walk-On
Lalanne didn't make a great defensive play. He just stood there and watched incredulously as Corey ran into the triple team.

wijg

Starter
I thought there was no more than 2,000 there, if I had to guess.
So, I think everyone knows the formula the AD uses for reporting attendance:

tickets sold + 3,000 * (percentage moon is of full) + 3,000 * random_number_between_zero_and_one

Basically meaning that it is almost worthless.So, that begs the question:

-Do they believe their own reported numbers or do they track actual attendance and actual tickets purchased for their own internal use?

Does anyone that used to work at the PC or in the AD know?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe attendance is tickets sold in advance plus tickets sold at the box office on game day. If I'm not mistaken, a season ticket holder is counted as being there whether they show up or not since they paid for the seats. I've seen a lot of pro venues where they claimed they were sold out, but you could tell there were thousands of empty seats.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I believe attendance is tickets sold in advance plus tickets sold at the box office on game day. If I'm not mistaken, a season ticket holder is counted as being there whether they show up or not since they paid for the seats. I've seen a lot of pro venues where they claimed they were sold out, but you could tell there were thousands of empty seats.

In addition to tickets sold, I believe that the announced attendance should also include complimentary tickets used (which would include students who attend). All tickets in plans sold that include the game should be counted irrespective of whether they are used.

Of course, TSG & other posters who have worked at the Patriot Center have stated that Mason does not really rely on any formula to calculate attendance.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Then shouldnt they call it, 'tickets sold', instead of 'attendance'.?