Game 15: University of Massachusetts, Sunday, January 11th, 1 PM, NO TV

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
UMass comes in with a 9-7 record, 1-4 on the road and beat Manhattan in OT 77-68 on November 18th. They also beat Iona 87-82 on Dec 30th.

The schedule is here: http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/umas-m-baskbl-sched.html

Stats: http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html

4 players average double figures in points. Cady Lalanne averages 8.7 RPG.

Last year's box scores:
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/011514gm.html (in Fairfax)
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/021414gm.html (in Amherst)

Discuss.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Can somebody explain why a game that's not televised is being held on a Sunday during the NFL playoffs? This is twice Mason has hosted games when playoff games are on, and it's not like it's not known a year in advance what the NFL schedule will be.

Like Patriot99 said in the other thread, I'm actually more interested in watching the Green Bay/Dallas game than I am Mason/UMass. And if we feel that way as diehard Mason fans, I'm pretty sure the general public feels the same way.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
It seems every A-10 school ends up with at least one game in conference on a Sunday. vcu and Fordham played last Sunday in NY. I guess it was our turn?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
For UMass' message board - see http://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14258:

"Just did a quick glance at Statsheet and in a nutshell, the only thing GMU does better than UMass is rebound, where they're particularly strong on the offensive glass. Thompson is making a big splash in his first year at D1 and really anchoring GMU in the post. They've also got Jenkins who's a big guy, but also turnover prone and not that offensively polished. It looks a little bit like after a strong rookie year, Jenkins is struggling to find his place alongside Thompson. Esho should have a distinct speed advantage if Jenkins, or Thompson, defend him. If GMU changes up and feeds Jenkins to try and take advantage of the size/strength disparity with Esho's it will be a tough matchup, but ultimately I think that's better for UMass because it takes the ball out of the hands of their better offensive players. A big key is going to be how well UMass can keep GMU off the offensive glass and limit their 2nd chance points."

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Speaking of rebounds, Bill Rohland tweeted this: Stat geeks. Last night Mason did not allow a single offensive rebound to Richmond. Anyone know of another recent game when that happened??

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Speaking of rebounds, Bill Rohland tweeted this: Stat geeks. Last night Mason did not allow a single offensive rebound to Richmond. Anyone know of another recent game when that happened??

Mason, also, allowed RICH to shoot 56%...so to "not allow a single offensive rebound" doesn't mean shit. Not attacking you Washingtonian, just seems like an incredibly useless stat.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Mason, also, allowed RICH to shoot 56%...so to "not allow a single offensive rebound" doesn't mean shit. Not attacking you Washingtonian, just seems like an incredibly useless stat.

Exactly, they didn't have any offensive rebounds because most of their shots went in.

They shot 38% in the 2nd half. So offensive rebounding is an incredibly useless stat? Got it.

Maybe it didn't mean anything in the ultimate outcome of the game...but I'm not sure it's a useless stat. Not like QB wins or something....

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
They shot 38% in the 2nd half. So offensive rebounding is an incredibly useless stat? Got it.

Maybe it didn't mean anything in the ultimate outcome of the game...but I'm not sure it's a useless stat. Not like QB wins or something....

In this case, it's a useless stat. G Mas lost by 10 and allowed a team to shoot 56% from the field. It would be one thing if they played good defense and held them to a low percentage AND kept them off the boards from getting extra opps. They lost by 10 and it wasn't even that close and RICH sucks sorry to say.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can somebody explain why a game that's not televised is being held on a Sunday during the NFL playoffs? This is twice Mason has hosted games when playoff games are on, and it's not like it's not known a year in advance what the NFL schedule will be.

Like Patriot99 said in the other thread, I'm actually more interested in watching the Green Bay/Dallas game than I am Mason/UMass. And if we feel that way as diehard Mason fans, I'm pretty sure the general public feels the same way.
Wow, you sound like me years ago when I would post about scheduling games in January against the NFL playoffs.....;)
If this game were on TV, then I can understand it. but with no TV, why not play this at noon on Saturday. Maybe the A10 wanted to give us an extra day rest since we played Thursday?

wijg

Starter
As a sign of how depressing things are, I used to have the entire Mason game schedule on my calendar from the day it came out. I would plan my entire winter schedule around Mason games. I have yet to put this years schedule on the calendar and was just looking at this weekends calendar, came to this thread and realized I have a conflict, so I will be another in the list of people who have said they won't be attending.

What is more sad, I am not too broken up about it.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
As a sign of how depressing things are, I used to have the entire Mason game schedule on my calendar from the day it came out. I would plan my entire winter schedule around Mason games. I have yet to put this years schedule on the calendar and was just looking at this weekends calendar, came to this thread and realized I have a conflict, so I will be another in the list of people who have said they won't be attending.

What is more sad, I am not too broken up about it.

I felt the same way the other night leaving the Richmond game. In the past, I would've been pissed to see our team get smacked around by a mediocre opponent, but I wasn't even upset.

It was just so matter-of-fact, like this is what we're resigned to unless something big changes.

I wouldn't think of missing the football game tomorrow -- in fact, I probably won't even bother to check the score of the Mason game -- and that really is sad.

When I was taking a tour of Mason in 1989 I wore a Packers Starter jacket and some girl saw the G and asked me if I played football for Mason.

True story.

And no, I won't be attending the Mason game. I will be watching Clay Matthews or Julius Peppers decapitate Tony Romo.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm disappointed that you guys aren't attending the Mason game while recording the football game. But, there should be plenty of parking spaces available.

I tried that once, and some idiot three rows up from me yelled out the NFL score with only two minutes left in the Mason game. You could hear about 10 people in our section moan in unison, because we were all recording the game.

What I've done since in these situations is stream the NFL games on my iPad while watching the Mason game. I only offer updates to people in my section if they ask me. I will definitely have my iPad tomorrow if I go to the Mason game.