Game 14: GMU (7-6 / 0-0) at GW (4-9 / 0-1) on Monday, January 17, at 2PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t know how long it will take for a coach who says they are going to be defense first show solid team defense, and while I didn’t see this particular game Ive seen others, and we can’t keep switching on screens when we have so many guards who can’t guard bigs and bigs who can’t guard guards.

By the way, it’s weird we played a better game of defense against freaking Kansas than we did against freaking GW.

And that was with like 6 guys. Today we had the whole team available except Oduro.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And they were missing 3 rotation players and had to play a 5-foot gremlin who moves more slowly than I do. No excuse to lose to a 2-man team and give up 77 effing points.
Oh. Didn't realize that. Thanks. That does make it worse for sure.

ephoops

Starter
KE had a very bad last 5 minutes of the game. He's a first-year coach and it showed.

GW's final 13 points in the last 3:40 of the game came on dunks and layups. Mason's offensive execution and defense down the stretch were very, very poor.

While XJ made the lay up with 16 left, his two previous shots were ill-advised --- both blocked with time running out on the shot clock while being closely guarded by much bigger defenders. As the PG, he needs to get the ball to Schwartz or Ticket as the shot clock winds down; he cannot put himself in the position where he's taking jump shots (the worst part of his game) during these crucial possessions.

The team needs to regroup quickly. The next four games -- Dayton (home), Bona (home), UMass (away) and SLU (home) -- are all difficult. An 0-5 or 1-4 start will be a very tough hole to dig out of to begin A-10 play.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope Dinkins and Justyn are good defenders. Does anyone have insight?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Did anyone notice with the score 70-59 Felton was talking to KE and KE waved him off? Wonder what that was about?

Yes, it looked like Felton was whispering something in his ear or directing him and English didn't agree or something of that ilk. I remember it happening, I don't recall exactly when it happened.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, it looked like Felton was whispering something in his ear or directing him and English didn't agree or something of that ilk. I remember it happening, I don't recall exactly when it happened.
I'm a pretty good lipreader, and what Felton said was: "If you blow this 11-point lead against this shitty team, we'll be stuck in Fairfax for at least two more years."

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm a pretty good lipreader, and what Felton said was: "If you blow this 11-point lead against this shitty team, we'll be stuck in Fairfax for at least two more years."
KE may suddenly turn all this around this year or next, but we may have jumped the gun with our fears of losing him after a year or two.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I will be much more concerned when our first 3 of the bench aren't dudes that should be playing for Mt St Mary's. Two absolutely bone head plays by Malik Henry, a bad non call on Schwartz getting hacked and a really bad coaching decision away from this being a 8 point win. I guess I really just don't care about this year and haven't since the beginning because we are still playing with some absolute booty juice basketball players. If a lineup of Ticket, Fernandez, Oduro, Dinkins and Cooper does this next year I will have some concerns.

Worst decision of all was sitting out Oduro if he was truly healthy enough to play knowing we had 7 days between games... I would have played him the start pf the second half if he could go, but I am not a doctor and even though I personally think Handy and our athletic trainer are certifiably awful they still have degrees that I don't.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I will be much more concerned when our first 3 of the bench aren't dudes that should be playing for Mt St Mary's. Two absolutely bone head plays by Malik Henry, a bad non call on Schwartz getting hacked and a really bad coaching decision away from this being a 8 point win. I guess I really just don't care about this year and haven't since the beginning because we are still playing with some absolute booty juice basketball players. If a lineup of Ticket, Fernandez, Oduro, Dinkins and Cooper does this next year I will have some concerns.

Worst decision of all was sitting out Oduro if he was truly healthy enough to play knowing we had 7 days between games... I would have played him the start pf the second half if he could go, but I am not a doctor and even though I personally think Handy and our athletic trainer are certifiably awful they still have degrees that I don't.

I get what you are saying and like you I have more goodwill for this year and patience for something like this happening. Mason just doens't have the roster to really compete yet, and a choppy year is to be expected.

As far as Oduro goes, CKE said that it was up to Josh whether he wanted to play and how he felt. He'd never ask someone to play injured, but obviously Josh didn't feel he could play.

CKE did take some responsibility in the presser which I liked.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cjkok3x-w4

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
We have a handful of guys that really don’t belong on this roster and I’m hoping to see some turnover this off-season with the transfer portal. They may have been Paulsen A10 guys, but they are not English A10 guys.

The fact that Josh was dressed and wasn’t trying to break tackles on his way to the scorers table to get in the game toward the end is a head scratcher. If you can’t play, don’t dress. Why put on the uniform if you weren’t going to play? I don’t get it.

As you can tell, I’m extremely bitter after that game.

Mason32

Starter
Just seems like no matter who is the head coach, this program comes back from winter break and either has a bunch of random injuries to starters or guys suspended....

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sorry but I don't have as much goodwill ......Cooper should not have been guarding basmile at the end there ...ticket should have been on him and that's on the coach... At least Kim English admitted that he should have stuck with Blake Jones towards the end of the game and that's probably what Felton told him.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sorry but I don't have as much goodwill ......Cooper should not have been guarding basmile at the end there ...ticket should have been on him and that's on the coach... At least Kim English admitted that he should have stuck with Blake Jones towards the end of the game and that's probably what Felton told him.

As much as I have "goodwill" or "patience" for this year, I do agree that Ticket should have been on Bamisile. I have to think there was a reason why he wasn't, but that is something that needs to be asked at the next coaches show. I don't recall where Ticket was or who he was guarding on the final play but he should have been on him. In addition, it sounded like they knew exactly what was coming too with the cut to the basket.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm gonna disagree on the last play. Ticket is one of the best weakside help defenders I've ever seen at this level and his length/range would be critical to getting out to contest a jumper in that situation. Cooper's responsibility is to force a pass. KE probably thought he'd get more resistance than "zero" from his 4th year guard who wants to be a pro.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm gonna disagree on the last play. Ticket is one of the best weakside help defenders I've ever seen at this level and his length/range would be critical to getting out to contest a jumper in that situation. Cooper's responsibility is to force a pass. KE probably thought he'd get more resistance than "zero" from his 4th year guard who wants to be a pro.

As I always say, I'm not a coach so I am happy to stand corrected or see other points of view. I completely agree that Cooper should have given much more resistance especially considering they knew what play was coming.

I am just curious if Gaines was on Bamisile and forced GW into a second action so to speak. Maybe Bishop swishes a 3 from 20 feet, or maybe he bricks it and GW lays it back home. We'll never know.

Either way, Cooper is experienced enough and appropriate to be put in that type of position. It isn't like Hartwell was asked to guard him or anything ridiculous.

Whatever, its all moot anyway. Onto Dayton.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Of course Ticket probably defends him better. That play wouldn't look much different if I was defending Bamisile. Just saying, leaving Ticket to patrol the weak side for shooters while expecting anything at all from Coop is perfectly reasonable.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We have a handful of guys that really don’t belong on this roster and I’m hoping to see some turnover this off-season with the transfer portal. They may have been Paulsen A10 guys, but they are not English A10 guys.

The fact that Josh was dressed and wasn’t trying to break tackles on his way to the scorers table to get in the game toward the end is a head scratcher. If you can’t play, don’t dress. Why put on the uniform if you weren’t going to play? I don’t get it.

As you can tell, I’m extremely bitter after that game.
Having been in that position in high school, it is tough to come back from sickness and be thrown in a tight game at the end. It resulted in my worst high school performance. I lost the game for my team.