Game 14: AT University of Richmond, Thursday, January 8th, 7 PM, NBCSN

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Underwhelming game that was too familiar.

I agree U or R was hot in the first half and sometimes you can't do much about that. However, all the ball movement, spacing and cutting we saw last game didn't carry over.

Shevon doesn't necessarily have to pass out of a double team every time, but as others noted someone needs to slide down and provide a simple safety valve and on the opposite side a corner bailout every time he gets the ball and is doubled. Not sure why three guards/wings remain standing so high in the backcourt when he gets the ball.

At least, they improved steadily in the 2nd half.

DeepValue

Starter
Shevon went for 19 and 17 so I guess I wouldn't be too hard on him. If passing out of the double team is the problem I would love to see him work on some plays with Jalen who seems to have disappeared. Some cuts or high low post stuff.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If passing out of the double team is the problem I would love to see him work on some plays with Jalen who seems to have disappeared. Some cuts or high low post stuff.

Thompson and Jenkins could actually learn a lot from watching video of Gortat and Nene working together in the post for the Wizards. They are great at finding one another open when they draw the double team. It might only happen a few times a game, but more often than not it leads to easy buckets.

KAOriginal

All-American
Look, a good coach has a foundation that his program stands on. We have no foundation, or identity.

This. I have no idea what George Mason basketball is anymore. I can look at other schools and know what they do, have a reputation for, at least some game consistent game plan.

In nearly 4 years I still have no idea what the Hewitt system REALLY is.

Dawgs99

Starter
Shevon looks like a player who is very committed to improving his game. I'm hoping the coaching staff can help him understand how to handle the double team situation. I can say he is the type of player I'm proud to root for on my team. Works hard, stays focused and doesn't celebrate or taunt after a dunk or wag his finger after a block. He's the exact opposite of a player that is now listed as OTHER on the team's official statistics.

Love this post...could not agree more about his on the court demeanor, he is without a doubt the opposite of the guy who is no longer with us. Looking forward to watching his game expand. Love the nasty follow up dunk and then quickly turning around to play defense.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Shevon went for 19 and 17 so I guess I wouldn't be too hard on him. If passing out of the double team is the problem I would love to see him work on some plays with Jalen who seems to have disappeared. Some cuts or high low post stuff.

G Mas is so limited offensively and stand around so much that I'll give the big man Thompson a pass on any mistakes he makes when he gets doubled for now...

polepino

Starter
Thompson and Jenkins could actually learn a lot from watching video of Gortat and Nene working together in the post for the Wizards. They are great at finding one another open when they draw the double team. It might only happen a few times a game, but more often than not it leads to easy buckets.

Its funny because for years I could count on pretty decent to good to great years from the Patriots while the Wizards sucked. Now the tables have turned and I'm pulling more for the Wiz these days.

Just got back from a shall we say, interesting road trip. Have many observations, but am having to poop constantly today, so I'll just share a few.
Robbins Center looks amazing. The old fans there really do match the crusty Waldorfs people characterize them as.
And apparently I have really, really bad karma.
As far as the game, despite some nice individual efforts, we simply aren't going to win when we defend like that. Any team that can shoot the 3 consistently usually just shreds us; doesn't matter if the guards are 5'6".

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If we hadn't had about 11 empty possessions in a row, and had even scored another 10 points in the first half instead, we could have weathered the storm and made a game of it in the second half. The team really didn't value possession of the basketball last night, and it cost them. Digging out of a 24 point hole on the road just doesn't happen very often. Bad defense plus bad offense equals a depressing drive home. At least the second half was fun to watch.

Our spacing on offense was atrocious last night.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah I'm going. Since my son can drive now, I might just throw down about 10 beers beforehand and start some sh!t with the geriatric set.

Geez..... I haven't been to a UR game in like 7-8 years. The average age of the UR fan must be 70 years old. Not even joking there. 5 of us sat 2 rows back behind the UR bench and we were getting heckled by 70 year olds. It was quite hysterical. A night out for the geriatrics includes an early bird dinner at the Shoneys and then over to the Robins Center. They may have had 1,000 people in attendance. GMU is not the draw it used to be...Ugh.

The gameday experience for them is pretty bad. Very quiet arena and not much excitement/hype. Their band maybe had 10 members in it. Highlights.... $1 for a box of popcorn which was tastey and their introduction was pretty cool..... turn the lights off and pumped music and light show.

We shit the bed at this game. UR is not good and our team didn't show up until the second half. Brad Edwards was sitting front row and saw first hand this shitshow.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, he was. Here he is, talking to Edwards at halftime. He left with maybe 7 minutes left in the second half, but it was good to see him there.

B63n4xxIcAAz-1I.jpg

psyclone

Hall of Famer
So, do you think I should read anything into both the President & AD attending a road game at UR?
My first guess is that Cabrera was in Richmond for a meeting (legistature?, SCHEV?) and thought he'd take in the Mason game. But whenever he's at the game it's an opportunity for doing due diligence.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I have little to add, but just want to back up the posters that said we are not garbage. We are just not anything. We're not a bad team, and have potential to be a very good team. But that potential will not be reached because there is no system.