Game 14: AT University of Richmond, Thursday, January 8th, 7 PM, NBCSN

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It's entirely possible that Thompson will lead the country in rebounding this year. Hes currently tied for 3rd in Offensive rebounding
it helps when your teammates shoot like crap.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
it helps when your teammates shoot like crap.

Haha, there is a lot of truth to that statement. He rebounds a lot of his own misses, but his teammates do give him a lot of opportunities. Love that kid's motor.

MasonCrew

Starter
Ugh Mason lost me money. Brings me back to my parking ticket days. Luckily Dayton made me money which brings me back to my university president dayz?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The only good thing about this game is that I paid $24 for two tickets at the last minute and still wound up with great seats, Row D in the corner opposite our bench. The renovated Robins Center is gorgeous.

Our defense was so lackadaisical in the first half. We didn't even get a hand up on most of their made baskets -- no wonder they almost shot 68 percent. Unacceptable.

Then when we finally started playing with intensity, the refs refused to give us an even whistle. I counted seven times when one of our guys got mugged with no call, then they'd blow it for some ticky-tack BS on the other end and send UR to the line.

Overall, Richmond is just not a good team. Had we not waited until we were down 22 points to start getting physical on D, we probably would've won.

But what else is new for a Hewitt team? Lack of consistency is the least surprising thing ever.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Terrible effort all the way around. Most confused I've seen us defensively, had about 4-5 guys that just didn't seem that interested in the game, Shevon was good, but he really needs to learn to pass out of a double team, and Marquise somehow developed a years worth of rust in about 10 days.

This effort likely convinced me to stay home for Cowboys/Packers Sunday instead of coming to Fairfax to watch us play UMass.

hoops10

Sixth Man
I was right behind the bench and here is my observation. Good kids who are really trying, no quit in them (some credit to Hewitt), but reality is they just don't have the talent to compete in the A10. Look you need to score to win and we just don't have any consistent shooters. Our defense just cant perform to a necessary level. It was ridiculous how many easy open shots we allowed. I see Hewitt giving them all kinds of instructions in the time outs. Ok, what the hell is he telling them, whatever it is, it's not working. in contrast you can see how disciplined Richmond was. Moving the ball with crisp passes, setting picks, etc.

So here is how I see it. Not enough talent, and poor coaching, the results are obvious.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What a bummer tonight was. Seems like a giant step backwards.

I wouldn't be that dramatic. We just need to learn to play like we did in the 2nd half for an entire game, especially on the road. Hopefully, it's a learning experience for the coaches and the players.

KAOriginal

All-American
I wouldn't be that dramatic. We just need to learn to play like we did in the 2nd half for an entire game, especially on the road. Hopefully, it's a learning experience for the coaches and the players.

Haven't we said this before with the same coach but other players....?

Which means..................

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Last night was the best Richmond has played all season. How much did our perimeter defense contribute toward them draining all all those 3s in the first half? I'll say some but they were hot and it is hard to beat a team that gets that hot.

I don't know if we made the necessary changes at half time or the Spiders just got cold behind the arch. I do like that the team didn't quit. If we had hit a few easy shots that a fundamentally sound team usually does, then it could have been a game.

I think we still could have an okay season. A lot will depend on the game this weekend. If we stink it up against UMass then it is not likely we will finish mid pack. We will have lapsed back to our old ways.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Look, a good coach has a foundation that his program stands on. We have no foundation, or identity. Many coaches dont know how to prepare vs hewitt bc he coaches like an idiot during the game. Why? Bc what he is preaching during the game should be handled during practices. If he prefers not to speak much during the game, have productive practices. He is just off in his approach to coaching kids. Ive said this since his ga tech days and he isnt ginna change.

Brad Edwards,
In his 4 years at Mason, Hewtit has proven in his first two years with a great roster he couldn't coach those kids. In his last 2 years he has proven he cant assemble a roster with players needed to run a competitive basketball program. In summary, the guy cant coach seasoned players, nor can he manage his roster. Cant coach, cant recruit. Where else but down hill do except our program to go if you dont make a change?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The staff needs to help Shevon learn how to pass out of double teams and not travel. Maybe Jai Lewis or Will Thomas is available to help teach? It should be instinct, 2nd guy comes to guard you, pass the rock and swing it around.

Otherwise 2nd half was much better than the first, but its tough to win road games down big at any point. Mason doesn't win much in Richmond no matter what the venue is. Hopefully they can take another win against Umass on Sunday.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer

Unfortunately, we've been saying "if we could only play like that the whole game, we're so close" for 3 1/2 years.

tarvis614

Walk-On
The staff needs to help Shevon learn how to pass out of double teams and not travel. Maybe Jai Lewis or Will Thomas is available to help teach? It should be instinct, 2nd guy comes to guard you, pass the rock and swing it around.

it's not all on shevon. they also need to work with the rest of the team to not stand in one place when he does get double teamed. really limits the options for a guy who only has a few years of basketball experience.

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
Shevon looks like a player who is very committed to improving his game. I'm hoping the coaching staff can help him understand how to handle the double team situation. I can say he is the type of player I'm proud to root for on my team. Works hard, stays focused and doesn't celebrate or taunt after a dunk or wag his finger after a block. He's the exact opposite of a player that is now listed as OTHER on the team's official statistics.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
it's not all on shevon. they also need to work with the rest of the team to not stand in one place when he does get double teamed. really limits the options for a guy who only has a few years of basketball experience.

I agree, and hopefully as the double team starts occurring more often, they realize the importance of moving around and helping the ball move to get a good look.