Game 11: GMU (6-4) at Neutral Site (Chicago) vs Tulane (6-3) on Saturday, December 17, at 3:30 PM.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So here's the notification I got from Mason Athletics after the game ...

Screenshot_20221217-183429.jpg

Did we suddenly lose the game after the game was over? I'm confused. Maybe the authorities decided we had no business winning a game were we committed 22 turnovers and awarded the game to the Green Wave.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s always good to get a win when you play poorly, especially on a neutral court where we have struggled so far this year. We were fortunate that Bailey and Oduro found a way to produce offensively, because they literally accounted for half of our 62 points.

Addendum: I just saw that those two also accounted for 10 of our 22 turnovers, which is inexcusable. With that I’m mind, I award no game balls to anyone despite the victory.
I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So here's the notification I got from Mason Athletics after the game ...

View attachment 1591
Did we suddenly lose the game after the game was over? I'm confused. Maybe the authorities decided we had no business winning a game were we committed 22 turnovers and awarded the game to the Green Wave.
Maybe it is like a judged sport where the subtract points at the end. After they assessed the demerits for turnovers and poor free throw shooting, we ended up losing.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Really interested to hear from someone who was there today how the game went? Because this box score is absolutely painful to look at but I will take every single W we can get at this point. But how in gods green earth did we turn the ball over this much? How did we only have 2 players in double figures? Leaving with more questions than I came in with for this one.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
But how in gods green earth did we turn the ball over this much? How did we only have 2 players in double figures? Leaving with more questions than I came in with for this one.
And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, how did the only two guys who scored in double figures combine for double-digit turnovers?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Really interested to hear from someone who was there today how the game went?
We won. Best neutral court game of the CKE era.

Just kidding. First 10 minutes I thought we were by far the better team, our shots weren’t landing, though, and they were getting free throws. Middle 20 minutes was ugly for both sides. Last 10 we looked pretty darn good. Times are approximate.

VJ had a great game minus the turnovers. Malik was solid while he was in.

Not a great analysis, and you could probably get a lot that from the play by play recap, but that is what I have for you.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
40-31 rebounding edge. GMU had to have that with the size advantage. 11 for Gaines! But yeah, TO #'s way too high.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
On the turnovers, too many looong, across the court passes and many of our passes are telegraphed where if the defender is paying attention can easily jump in between.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is he Petey Sessoms son?
Sam Sessoms just went over 2000 career points.
He is originally from Philly.

He may be related to Petey Sessoms - but i dont believe they are father and son

After his lauded college career, Sessoms did not get any interest from NBA teams, so he went to Europe to play professional basketball. He spent the next nine years playing for various clubs in Portugal, Belgium, Israel, Iceland, France and Poland. In 2004, he retired from basketball and began working for the United States Postal Service in North Hollywood, California. As of August 2010, he continues to work there as a supervisor. He's married to Bridgette Wright a producer in the entertainment industry and has two sons, Paul “PJ” Sessoms, Jr. and Brixton Sessoms.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Which is stranger:

1- to play a neutral court game that is a combined 1600+ miles from the schools' campuses and not have it televised

Or

2- to win a game with 22 turnovers and only 2 made free throws?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
5 of the turnovers were offensive fouls. 17 turnovers isn't ideal either but just pointing that out.

2 free throws is crazy. Aren't we last in the country in FT attempts? Or is it steals?

Getting into fast breaks would increase free throws and get us higher percentage shots since scoring 2 v 2 is easier than 5 v5. I still think it's bizzare this team doesn't generate more steals/deflections. It would be a spark of energy too.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
5 of the turnovers were offensive fouls. 17 turnovers isn't ideal either but just pointing that out.

2 free throws is crazy. Aren't we last in the country in FT attempts? Or is it steals?

Getting into fast breaks would increase free throws and get us higher percentage shots since scoring 2 v 2 is easier than 5 v5. I still think it's bizzare this team doesn't generate more steals/deflections. It would be a spark of energy too.
It’s pretty clear that the staff has realized our team is not athletic enough across the board to apply the type of heavy ball pressure that results in steals without giving up too many easy baskets.

During the 5-game win streak the guys are doing a much better job of cutting off the paint, forcing jumpers and contesting them. This is a solid defensive plan, especially now that we are also rebounding better and limiting second chances.

At some point you have to accept what you are instead of continuing to wish you were something else.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s pretty clear that the staff has realized our team is not athletic enough across the board to apply the type of heavy ball pressure that results in steals without giving up too many easy baskets.

During the 5-game win streak the guys are doing a much better job of cutting off the paint, forcing jumpers and contesting them. This is a solid defensive plan, especially now that we are also rebounding better and limiting second chances.

At some point you have to accept what you are instead of continuing to wish you were something else.
Tony Bennett won a NC with good D.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I like this post. Gives me hope that CKE is willing and able to adapt.