Exhibition Game #1 - St. Thomas vs George Mason - Mon • Oct 23, 2023 • 07:00 PM

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
REALLY disappointed in the crowd last night. Having it be Tony's return, I thought it was a must to be there and show support.
tenor.gif

Dawgs99

Starter
I would think that Dinkins is a prime candidate to red-shirt this year. With Tre Wood and Baraka seemingly ahead of him on the depth chart it would be wise for him and Mason to red-shirt and then see what happens after the season in terms of players coming and going. Why waste a year when you're the 4th PG in the pecking order?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I would think that Dinkins is a prime candidate to red-shirt this year. With Tre Wood and Baraka seemingly ahead of him on the depth chart it would be wise for him and Mason to red-shirt and then see what happens after the season in terms of players coming and going. Why waste a year when you're the 4th PG in the pecking order?
It’s not a bad idea but potentially a few issues

1) he may have already been recruited over and with Begg coming next year there probably isn’t a path to playing time unless he does the Malik Henry approach for a few years
2) redshirts are somewhat a thing of the past because of all the transferring however if he has a lingering back issue, he could save his year and then go elsewhere.

I suspect he will still get a chance to prove himself and get some minutes but it might be really tough.

Dawgs99

Starter

1) he may have already been recruited over and with Begg coming next year there probably isn’t a path to playing time unless he does the Malik Henry approach for a few years
2) redshirts are somewhat a thing of the past because of all the transferring however if he has a lingering back issue, he could save his year and then go elsewhere.

I suspect he will still get a chance to prove himself and get some minutes but it might be really tough.

Its really up to the players these days, and they need to protect their eligibility. Its pretty common practice now, especially in football, for players to decide during the season to stop playing before they reach the 4 game threshold to hold on to their eligibility, only to enter the portal after the the season and play elsewhere the following year. I don't like it personally but I understand it. It's pretty obvious to me that DD has been buried on the depth chart and recruited over....if he's smart he redshirts this season and then transfers with 3 years left.

By George.

Starter
I think people are a little confused about patriot pressure. In our podcast, Tony said that he wanted PP to be more of an identity than a reference to our defense. We will play a soft 2-2-1 full court D that drops back into a matchup zone. It’s just going to be for show sometimes but having it as our base allows us to deploy pressure at anytime.

I don’t think we were trying to smother them last night, that doesn’t really help them too much. Our first exhibition game was always going to look pretty vanilla but I liked that we were always in the 2-2-1. We saw some 1-3-1 half court too and I like a matchup zone half court. It allows our guards to be more active in passing lanes and on the ball. We got a good amount of steals just playing active D.

There’s a vibe switch and we can ALL feel it. Welcome home Tony.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason is absolutely Tony's team—they've definitely taken on his personality. I thought the team was loose, tough, and aggressive. Better still, everyone looked like they were having FUN.

Okojie was certainly the biggest surprise of the night. He is lightning quick and was mostly decisive. When Okojie wanted to score, he scored. He also handed out a couple of impressive assists. He already seems to have good chemistry with Malik.

The depth of this Mason team is going to help them win some games. I thought, at times, the second team out-perforrned the first team.

I agree with Patriotsincei81 about ball and player movement—something we have not seen in a looooong time. When this team gels and forms more solid chemistry they are going to be a tough out—and FUN to watch!
Ball movement. Yes!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

One thing: we were 4/18 from 3 last night and Dinkins can shoot. So long as he can defend and is healthy if the team continues to struggle from the outside I’m sure he will get his chances.

Also, if Billups and Okojie aren’t reliable FT shooters he might be out in end game scenarios for his FT shooting (shot 74% from the stripe his freshman season).

Also also, Wood and Okojie would come in together a lot and Okojie and Polite were on the floor together a couple of times, seems like we are going to use all our PGs.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
It was great to watch Mason basketball again! Sharing some high level thoughts, but obviously it's too early for verdicts (good or bad) at this point. I'm sure it will be a rollercoaster of a season, but I think we're building up from a stronger foundation than a few years ago.

Overall: Great energy from everyone, that appears to be an emphasis from the coaching staff and it showed. The "Patriot Pressure" style/identity was evident and I'm looking forward to this evolving as the season goes on. Depth! Depth! Depth! Not going to harp on poor 3pt % or free throws this early.

Polite: The clear alpha on the team, he looks poised to take another step up this season. Health will be key, but he wants and can do everything this team needs him to do.

Okojie: His physicality, quickness, and decision making were on display. There will be turnovers and mistakes, but he looks the part and like someone who will quickly adjust and grow into the college game. Him + Tre Wood, our reliable depth at PG is unlike anything we've had in a long time.

Maddox: Has such an effortless looking shot, he's going to get his points. Him and Polite are the clear go-to's on offense. The question becomes, who is that third guy to step up?

Hall: Has a very awkward looking jump shot that appears to leave room for inconsistency, it's too early to tell but not sure what his offensive production will look like on a game to game basis. Might be more of an in the paint/clean up the mess type guy (which is fine), with sporadic outside production.

Billups: High energy, do-it-all guy. The type of player every team needs. I think he quickly becomes a fan favorite and someone who is easy to root for.

Newton: Similar vibes to Billups, but maybe a bit more of an unknown in terms of what we'll get on a nightly basis. His length should be an advantage.

Kelly/Henry/Pavrette: Going to bucket these guys because I don't think any one player stands out above the rest, but they all should combine for decent production/defense. Henry can still dunk lol.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One thing: we were 4/18 from 3 last night and Dinkins can shoot. So long as he can defend and is healthy if the team continues to struggle from the outside I’m sure he will get his chances.

Also, if Billups and Okojie aren’t reliable FT shooters he might be out in end game scenarios for his FT shooting (shot 74% from the stripe his freshman season).

Also also, Wood and Okojie would come in together a lot and Okojie and Polite were on the floor together a couple of times, seems like we are going to use all our PGs.
I agree with all of this - DD didn't play last night because of his injury, not necessarily because he is buried on the depth chart.

The biggest weaknesses on this team, both based on prior stats of current roster and apparent in box score from last night, are: FT/3pt shooting and turnovers. DD helps in all of those areas. He should definitely be a piece of the puzzle once healthy.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with all of this - DD didn't play last night because of his injury, not necessarily because he is buried on the depth chart.

The biggest weaknesses on this team, both based on prior stats of current roster and apparent in box score from last night, are: FT/3pt shooting and turnovers. DD helps in all of those areas. He should definitely be a piece of the puzzle once healthy.
Did we watch the same player last season?

I agree on the FTs and he makes sense as an end of game sub. I remember a player who struggled to get his shot off, didn't defend well at all, and wasn't really a difference maker from a ball handling standpoint. I would be shocked if he's getting consistent minutes, if he does, it's because something has gone terribly wrong with the guys in front of him.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I agree on the FTs and he makes sense as an end of game sub. I remember a player who struggled to get his shot off, didn't defend well at all, and wasn't really a difference maker from a ball handling standpoint. I would be shocked if he's getting consistent minutes, if he does, it's because something has gone terribly wrong with the guys in front of him.
I could very well be wrong, I've just always had a better impression of DD than the majority on here. We will see :)

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It was great to watch Mason basketball again! Sharing some high level thoughts, but obviously it's too early for verdicts (good or bad) at this point. I'm sure it will be a rollercoaster of a season, but I think we're building up from a stronger foundation than a few years ago.

Overall: Great energy from everyone, that appears to be an emphasis from the coaching staff and it showed. The "Patriot Pressure" style/identity was evident and I'm looking forward to this evolving as the season goes on. Depth! Depth! Depth! Not going to harp on poor 3pt % or free throws this early.

Polite: The clear alpha on the team, he looks poised to take another step up this season. Health will be key, but he wants and can do everything this team needs him to do.

Okojie: His physicality, quickness, and decision making were on display. There will be turnovers and mistakes, but he looks the part and like someone who will quickly adjust and grow into the college game. Him + Tre Wood, our reliable depth at PG is unlike anything we've had in a long time.

Maddox: Has such an effortless looking shot, he's going to get his points. Him and Polite are the clear go-to's on offense. The question becomes, who is that third guy to step up?

Hall: Has a very awkward looking jump shot that appears to leave room for inconsistency, it's too early to tell but not sure what his offensive production will look like on a game to game basis. Might be more of an in the paint/clean up the mess type guy (which is fine), with sporadic outside production.

Billups: High energy, do-it-all guy. The type of player every team needs. I think he quickly becomes a fan favorite and someone who is easy to root for.

Newton: Similar vibes to Billups, but maybe a bit more of an unknown in terms of what we'll get on a nightly basis. His length should be an advantage.

Kelly/Henry/Pavrette: Going to bucket these guys because I don't think any one player stands out above the rest, but they all should combine for decent production/defense. Henry can still dunk lol.
Hall, awkward looking jump shot. Reminds me of one of my Mason faves:
Marquise Moore. Mr. tough as nails!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I think you watched a freshman last season.

And I’d caution everyone against anointing Okojie after one exhibition against an NAIA team. He is also a freshman and he will take his lumps.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I think you watched a freshman last season.

And I’d caution everyone against anointing Okojie after one exhibition against an NAIA team. He is also a freshman and he will take his lumps.
No one is anointing Okojie, he will obviously have growing pains and did last night. But his size, physicality, and quickness are pretty evident.

Could Dinkins improve? Maybe. Does he have better/more talented players in front of him? Yes.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No one is anointing Okojie, he will obviously have growing pains and did last night. But his size, physicality, and quickness are pretty evident.

Could Dinkins improve? Maybe. Does he have better/more talented players in front of him? Yes.
There is no doubt RP3 and in all likelihood BO are in front of him - not arguing that