Coaching Carousel 2024

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
True. But they were all relatively young during the covid year. Kolek Fr., Oduro So., and Miller Jr. Also it was the offseason after that in which Oduro lost a bunch of weight and became a monster his Jr year.

I also think we would have been decent the year before that had Kier not gotten hurt. We were 12-4 before Kier got hurt and finished the 2nd half of the season 5-11 without him. If we had Kier the entire season, Paulsen would have had 20+ wins which might have gotten him another extention.

It is what it is though. Great to see Kolek, Miller and JO do well after their departures. I Love where Mason is at with Tony. Paulsen got a year of severance and landed another HC job so everyone wins.
Regardless of what happened to any of the players mentioned. DP wasn't going to get extra time under Brad unless he made the NCAAs. He already had the courtesy extension built into his contract (h/t to @gmubrian on sharing that with me), and plenty of time to build the program up.

Brad (and others in the AD) knew the landscape was changing (NIL, transfers, etc) and that they needed to get a new voice at the helm for our men's and woman's programs especially with the new President.

Fun offseason discussion though, haha.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
We had them all the previous year as well. That is a somewhat tough season to judge with all the cancellations, but we were 8 and 6 in conference play and got our arse handed to us by a meh Davidson in the second game of the tournament. We didn't have Kolek playing the point and there were no signs that is where Paulsen was heading with him.

I guess anything is possible, but, the previous time we had a two year season with Paulsen it didn't turn out very well, so I don't see much suggesting the second year of the Miller/Kolek/Oduro two year season would have been much more than meh as well.

DP successfully recruiting Kolek, playing him off the ball, then Shaka turning him into a Big East POY at point guard is definitely one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.
In fairness, Polite was also a freshman with Kolek and likely thought to be taking the pg role down the road. That same year we had Xavier Johnson in his sophomore yr. And even looking at that season, Javon Greene was playing some pg. Kolek was a good enough shooter to make the A10 all-rookie team as a shooting forward, so he was slotted there.

That said, given the presence of both XJ and Polite on the team, it seems unlikely that DP would have used Kolek as a pg, even though it was clear that he was an excellent passer. It's to Shaka's credit (and maybe Marquette's needs at the time) to switch TK to the point.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Division I (D1) Coaching Changes (2024)
SchoolConferenceFormer CoachNew Coach
BryantAmerica EastJared GrassoPhil Martelli, Jr
Cal PolyBig WestJohn SmithMike DeGeorge
CanisiusMAACReggie WitherspoonTBD
Central ArkansasASUNAnthony BooneJohn Shulman
Charleston SouthernBig SouthBarclay RadebaughSaah Nimley
Coastal CarolinaSun BeltCliff EllisJustin Gray
CornellIvy LeagueBrian EarlTBD
DePaulBig EastTony StubblefieldChris Holtmann
Detroit MercyHorizonMike DavisTBD
DrakeMissouri ValleyDarian DeVriesTBD
DuquesneA-10Keith DambrotTBD
FairfieldMAACJay YoungChris Casey
Florida A&MSWACRobert McCullumTBD
Florida AtlanticAmericanDusty MayTBD
Fresno StateMountain WestJustin HutsonTBD
Gardner-WebbBig SouthTim CraftTBD
HamptonCAAEdward Joyner, Jr.Ivan Thomas
Houston ChristianSouthlandRon CottrellCraig Doty
IUPUIHorizonMatt CrenshawPaul Corsaro
James MadisonSun BeltMark ByingtonTBD
Long Beach StateBig WestDan MonsonTBD
LouisvilleACCKenny PayneTBD
Loyola MarylandPatriot LeagueTavaras HardyTBD
MarshallSun BeltDan D'AntoniCornelius Jackson
MercerSoConGreg GaryRyan Ridder
MichiganBig TenJuwan HowardDusty May
Missouri StateMissouri ValleyDana FordTBD
Ohio StateBig TenChris HoltmannJake Diebler
Oklahoma StateBig 12Mike BoyntonTBD
Old DominionSun BeltJeff JonesMike Jones
PacificWCCLeonard PerryTBD
PepperdineWCCLorenzo RomarTBD
RiceAmericanScott PeraRob Lanier
SienaMAACCarmen MaciarelloTBD
SMUACCRob LanierTBD
Southern IllinoisMissouri ValleyBryan MullinsTBD
St. LouisA-10Travis FordTBD
StanfordACCJerod HaaseKyle Smith
UICMissouri ValleyLuke YaklichTBD
USC UpstateBig SouthDave DickersonTBD
UT MartinOVCRyan RidderTBD
Utah StateMountain WestDanny SprinkleTBD
UTRGVWACMatt FiggerTBD
UTSAAmericanSteve HensonAustin Claunch
VanderbiltSECJerry StackhouseMark Byington
WashingtonBig TenMike HopkinsDanny Sprinkle
Washington StateWCCKyle SmithTBD
West VirginiaBig 12Bob HugginsDarian DeVries
Western CarolinaSoConJustin GrayTim Craft
William & MaryCAADane FischerBrian Earl

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
In fairness, Polite was also a freshman with Kolek and likely thought to be taking the pg role down the road. That same year we had Xavier Johnson in his sophomore yr. And even looking at that season, Javon Greene was playing some pg. Kolek was a good enough shooter to make the A10 all-rookie team as a shooting forward, so he was slotted there.

That said, given the presence of both XJ and Polite on the team, it seems unlikely that DP would have used Kolek as a pg, even though it was clear that he was an excellent passer. It's to Shaka's credit (and maybe Marquette's needs at the time) to switch TK to the point.
Yes, I really liked DP. Still do. But he just wasn't going to get it done in the A-10.
Six years is plenty of time.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, I really liked DP. Still do. But he just wasn't going to get it done in the A-10.
Six years is plenty of time.
Not only is 6 years plenty of time, but he refused to try to even adapt. Everyone else in the A-10 was loading up on transfers, and after Jared Reuter he said "nope no transfers for me!".

Amongst other various issues that have been beaten on here from roster management to recruiting.

Very happy we went high potential and young with the last two hires.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mark Byington sets sail from JMU/Harrisonburg to serve as Vandy's new Commodore-in-Chief.
Poor Dukies.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Division I (D1) Coaching Changes (2024)
SchoolConferenceFormer CoachNew Coach
BryantAmerica EastJared GrassoPhil Martelli, Jr
Cal PolyBig WestJohn SmithMike DeGeorge
CanisiusMAACReggie WitherspoonTBD
Central ArkansasASUNAnthony BooneJohn Shulman
Charleston SouthernBig SouthBarclay RadebaughSaah Nimley
Coastal CarolinaSun BeltCliff EllisJustin Gray
CornellIvy LeagueBrian EarlTBD
DePaulBig EastTony StubblefieldChris Holtmann
Detroit MercyHorizonMike DavisTBD
DrakeMissouri ValleyDarian DeVriesTBD
DuquesneA-10Keith DambrotTBD
FairfieldMAACJay YoungChris Casey
Florida A&MSWACRobert McCullumTBD
Florida AtlanticAmericanDusty MayTBD
Fresno StateMountain WestJustin HutsonTBD
Gardner-WebbBig SouthTim CraftTBD
HamptonCAAEdward Joyner, Jr.Ivan Thomas
Houston ChristianSouthlandRon CottrellCraig Doty
IUPUIHorizonMatt CrenshawPaul Corsaro
James MadisonSun BeltMark ByingtonTBD
Long Beach StateBig WestDan MonsonTBD
LouisvilleACCKenny PayneTBD
Loyola MarylandPatriot LeagueTavaras HardyTBD
MarshallSun BeltDan D'AntoniCornelius Jackson
MercerSoConGreg GaryRyan Ridder
MichiganBig TenJuwan HowardDusty May
Missouri StateMissouri ValleyDana FordTBD
Ohio StateBig TenChris HoltmannJake Diebler
Oklahoma StateBig 12Mike BoyntonTBD
Old DominionSun BeltJeff JonesMike Jones
PacificWCCLeonard PerryTBD
PepperdineWCCLorenzo RomarTBD
RiceAmericanScott PeraRob Lanier
SienaMAACCarmen MaciarelloTBD
SMUACCRob LanierTBD
Southern IllinoisMissouri ValleyBryan MullinsTBD
St. LouisA-10Travis FordTBD
StanfordACCJerod HaaseKyle Smith
UICMissouri ValleyLuke YaklichTBD
USC UpstateBig SouthDave DickersonTBD
UT MartinOVCRyan RidderTBD
Utah StateMountain WestDanny SprinkleTBD
UTRGVWACMatt FiggerTBD
UTSAAmericanSteve HensonAustin Claunch
VanderbiltSECJerry StackhouseMark Byington
WashingtonBig TenMike HopkinsDanny Sprinkle
Washington StateWCCKyle SmithTBD
West VirginiaBig 12Bob HugginsDarian DeVries
Western CarolinaSoConJustin GrayTim Craft
William & MaryCAADane FischerBrian Earl
I thought there was an outside chance that Marshall would give Bob Huggins a second chance. Too soon though.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I saw where JMU fans think High Point’s Alan Huss might be a candidate. He had a great first season at HPU. HPU is playing for the CBI championship.

I had lunch with an HPU donor yesterday. He told me that he has been told that HPU’s president has said that money will not be a factor if Huss leaves; HPU is prepared to pay the market rate. He said HPU is all in on basketball.

That might keep him away from JMU, but not a P5 school.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I saw where JMU fans think High Point’s Alan Huss might be a candidate. He had a great first season at HPU. HPU is playing for the CBI championship.

I had lunch with an HPU donor yesterday. He told me that he has been told that HPU’s president has said that money will not be a factor if Huss leaves; HPU is prepared to pay the market rate. He said HPU is all in on basketball.

That might keep him away from JMU, but not a P5 school.
Huss would be a great candidate- but is JMU going to pay a lot more than High Point for a basketball coach? The Sun Belt and Big South were 17th and 18th best conferences last year, so its not much of a step up. I have to think Huss is waiting to make the NCAAs so that he can get a P5 job unless something organizationally happens that hes not happy with (lack of commitment, change of leadership etc)

Fun fact, Corey Edwards is on Huss' staff at High Point.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Some names that I’ve heard who have interviewed at Pacific are: Dayton associate head coach Ricardo Greer, former Stanford head coach Jerrod Haase, and USC associate head coach Chris Capko. Interesting fact…Pacific AD Adam Tschuor was the senior associate athletic director at Dayton before being hired at Pacific last July.

I made a general reference to the search at Canisius in yesterday’s DAILY DIRT. Starting to narrow the list down a bit now. One name making the rounds is George Mason assistant Steve Curran. The longtime St. Bonaventure associate head coach joined Tony Skinn’s staff last spring. I can also confirm that two successful D3 head coaches are in deep, as is one D2 coach who has a championship background. More on this one as I hear it."

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

"Some names that I’ve heard who have interviewed at Pacific are: Dayton associate head coach Ricardo Greer, former Stanford head coach Jerrod Haase, and USC associate head coach Chris Capko. Interesting fact…Pacific AD Adam Tschuor was the senior associate athletic director at Dayton before being hired at Pacific last July.

I made a general reference to the search at Canisius in yesterday’s DAILY DIRT. Starting to narrow the list down a bit now. One name making the rounds is George Mason assistant Steve Curran. The longtime St. Bonaventure associate head coach joined Tony Skinn’s staff last spring. I can also confirm that two successful D3 head coaches are in deep, as is one D2 coach who has a championship background. More on this one as I hear it."
Not surprised Curran is linked to the Canisus opening. Hopefully we can keep Steve at least another year.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Men’s assistants to watch​

Steve Curran, George Mason: A former St. Bonaventure assistant who just completed his first season with the Patriots, Curran is known for his prowess on the recruiting trail and his ability to form and maintain relationships. He was an assistant on the Bonnies’ 2021 NCAA Tournament team.

Ali Farokhmanesh, Colorado State: This is an out-of-left field possibility, but Farokhmanesh has helped Colorado State head coach Niko Medved craft a Mountain West contender. Farokhmanesh has been the key in developing Rams guards. As a player, he led Northern Iowa to the NCAA Tournament in 2009 and 2010.

Tray Woodall, Fordham: Woodall, a former Pittsburgh standout, just completed his second season at Fordham as associate head coach. He was an assistant on Mark Schmidt’s staff at St. Bonaventure from 2019-21 and helped the Bonnies reach the 2021 NCAA Tournament."

"

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"University of Tennessee at Martin athletic director Kurt McGuffin has found a proven winner to lead the Skyhawk men’s basketball program, hiring Jeremy Shulman as the 13th head coach in program history.

A formal press conference and public reception to officially introduce Shulman will take place next week with dates and times to be announced at a later date.

A Nashville, Tenn. native, Shulman has spent the last 14 seasons as head coach at Eastern Florida State College in Melbourne, Fla. In that span, he became the program’s all-time wins leader (346 victories) and elevated the Titans to a national powerhouse – piling up 11 conference championships in the last 12 seasons with a pair of Final Four and three Elite Eight appearances in the NJCAA Division I Tournament. He won 80.9 percent (152-36 record) of his conference contests at the helm of Eastern Florida State."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"After an extensive national search, Missouri State University has selected Cuonzo Martin as its next men’s basketball head coach. The man who orchestrated Missouri State’s only Missouri Valley Conference regular-season championship run during his first tenure in Springfield will be formally re-introduced to Bears fans during a news conference on Monday."

"Martin, who coached at Missouri State from 2008 to 2011, owns a 264-198 (.587) career record in 14 seasons as a Division I head coach at MSU, Tennessee, California and Missouri. His teams have made nine postseason appearances in that span, including four trips to the NCAA Tournament, four appearances in the NIT, and a CIT title with the Bears in 2010. Martin also led the Bears to a 2011 Missouri Valley Conference regular-season championship and boasts 56 college graduates during his head coaching career."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"According to a Jon Rothstein report, Long Beach State is finalizing a deal with San Diego State assistant Chris Acker to become their new head basketball coach. Acker has been at SDSU for the past five seasons, and has also been an assistant at Boise State and Hawai’i. He also spent time as the head coach at West Los Angeles College and as the head coach at Citrus College. More on this one once it becomes official."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Florida Atlantic University announced Wednesday that John Jakus has been named the school’s head men’s basketball coach. The associate head coach at Baylor, Jakus comes to Boca Raton after spending the last 12 seasons on staff at both Baylor and Gonzaga.

Jakus signed his agreement Wednesday night and will be officially introduced to the Florida Atlantic community with a press conference on Friday at Eleanor R. Baldwin Arena. More details on the press conference will follow on Thursday.

One of the most highly-regarded assistant coaches in the nation, Jakus has spent his entire collegiate coaching career under two of the game’s most successful head coach in Baylor’s Scott Drew and Gonzaga’s Mark Few."

Last edited: