Coaching Carousel 2024

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
He’ll be winning before long. His first year at Bucknell was rough too, but he had turned them into an absolute wagon by the time he left for Fairfax.
I was always critical of DP, but I will always wonder what could have happen with one more year with kolek, Miller and Oduro.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I was always critical of DP, but I will always wonder what could of happen with one more year with kolek, Miller and Oduro
I think he would have gotten us in the tournament last year.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"DeVries accepts a job with both NCAA tournament expectations and amid a Big 12 that consistently has been the most challenging conference in the sport in recent seasons.

DeVries' son, Tucker, is expected to follow him to West Virginia, sources told ESPN's Jeff Borzello. Tucker DeVries was the 2023 and 2024 MVC player of the year and scored 1,867 points in his Drake career. The 6-foot-7 guard averaged 21.6 points and 6.7 rebounds this season, shooting 36.3% from 3.

Drake won a First Four game in the 2021 NCAA tournament and lost in the first round to Miami in 2023 and to Washington State this year. Drake won the Missouri Valley Conference regular-season title in DeVries' first season at Drake in 2018-19."

Bricker

Starter
Per Jon Rothstein: Vanderbilt is closing in on hiring James Madison's Mark Byington as its next head basketball coach.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Per Jon Rothstein: Vanderbilt is closing in on hiring James Madison's Mark Byington as its next head basketball coach.

Kind of surprised they didn’t try to poach one of Ivy’s coaches, like Matt Elkin at Yale or Mitch Henderson at Princeton. They need someone who can succeed at an elite academic institution that doesn’t dumb down the admissions process for student athletes.

Maybe it’s a tough sell to convince Ivy League coaches to leave? I don’t know.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"According to a report from Pete Thamel, Missouri State is nearing a deal to bring Cuonzo Martin back for a second stint as the Bears head coach.

Martin served as the head coach at MSU from 2008-11, where he went 61-41 (.598) and propelled himself to three high major jobs. He then worked as the head coach at Tennessee (2011-14), Cal (2014-17), and Missouri (2017-22).

During his first stint at Missouri State, he led the Bears to the Missouri Valley Conference regular season championship in 2011 and was tabbed as the MVC coach of the year following that season.

More on this move once it becomes official."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Crazy day yesterday. It’s amazing how the portal has changed the hiring timeline. D1’s are averaging less than a week to complete a search. Absolute chaos out there! Just a few things to kick off the day…

Sounds like the Gerry McNamara to Siena deal is becoming closer to reality. The former Syracuse standout is currently the associate head coach at his alma mater, and has been on staff there since 2011. Word on the street is that this could get done today.

Staying in the WNY area…the search at Canisius is on. This one will pay between $250-$285,000 which will still make it one of the lowest paying jobs in the MAAC. A lot of guys involved early, but so far most of the names that I have heard are LM assistants, D2, D3, and JUCO guys. Working on a list now."

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was always critical of DP, but I will always wonder what could have happen with one more year with kolek, Miller and Oduro.

There was a tweet a couple months ago basically saying "Crazy to think George Mason had Miller, Kolek and Oduro all at the same time." Jordan commented on the tweet saying that George Mason got rid of Paulsen too soon. Based on his response, it seemed like JM would have stayed at least another year under Paulsen. Always fun to imagine the "What if?"

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There was a tweet a couple months ago basically saying "Crazy to think George Mason had Miller, Kolek and Oduro all at the same time." Jordan commented on the tweet saying that George Mason got rid of Paulsen too soon. Based on his response, it seemed like JM would have stayed at least another year under Paulsen. Always fun to imagine the "What if?"
We had them all the previous year as well. That is a somewhat tough season to judge with all the cancellations, but we were 8 and 6 in conference play and got our arse handed to us by a meh Davidson in the second game of the tournament. We didn't have Kolek playing the point and there were no signs that is where Paulsen was heading with him.

I guess anything is possible, but, the previous time we had a two year season with Paulsen it didn't turn out very well, so I don't see much suggesting the second year of the Miller/Kolek/Oduro two year season would have been much more than meh as well.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We had them all the previous year as well. That is a somewhat tough season to judge with all the cancellations, but we were 8 and 6 in conference play and got our arse handed to us by a meh Davidson in the second game of the tournament. We didn't have Kolek playing the point and there were no signs that is where Paulsen was heading with him.

I guess anything is possible, but, the previous time we had a two year season with Paulsen it didn't turn out very well, so I don't see much suggesting the second year of the Miller/Kolek/Oduro two year season would have been much more than meh as well.
DP successfully recruiting Kolek, playing him off the ball, then Shaka turning him into a Big East POY at point guard is definitely one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

True. But they were all relatively young during the covid year. Kolek Fr., Oduro So., and Miller Jr. Also it was the offseason after that in which Oduro lost a bunch of weight and became a monster his Jr year.

I also think we would have been decent the year before that had Kier not gotten hurt. We were 12-4 before Kier got hurt and finished the 2nd half of the season 5-11 without him. If we had Kier the entire season, Paulsen would have had 20+ wins which might have gotten him another extention.

It is what it is though. Great to see Kolek, Miller and JO do well after their departures. I Love where Mason is at with Tony. Paulsen got a year of severance and landed another HC job so everyone wins.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
True. But they were all relatively young during the covid year. Kolek Fr., Oduro So., and Miller Jr. Also it was the offseason after that in which Oduro lost a bunch of weight and became a monster his Jr year.

I also think we would have been decent the year before that had Kier not gotten hurt. We were 12-4 before Kier got hurt and finished the 2nd half of the season 5-11 without him. If we had Kier the entire season, Paulsen would have had 20+ wins which might have gotten him another extention.

It is what it is though. Great to see Kolek, Miller and JO do well after their departures. I Love where Mason is at with Tony. Paulsen got a year of severance and landed another HC job so everyone wins.
I had forgotten about the injury to Kolek. That is a good point.