Coaching Carousel 2024

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Division I (D1) Coaching Changes (2024)
SchoolConferenceFormer CoachNew Coach
William & MaryCAADane FischerTBD
West VirginiaBig 12Bob HugginsJosh Eilert (INTERIM)
WashingtonBig TenMike Hopkins
Southern IllinoisMissouri ValleyBryan MullinsTBD
PepperdineWCCLorenzo RomarTBD
PacificWCCLeonard PerryTBD
Old DominionSun BeltJeff JonesMike Jones
Ohio StateBig TenChris HoltmannJake Diebler (INTERIM)
Missouri StateMissouri ValleyDana FordTBD
Loyola MarylandPatriot LeagueTavaras HardyTBD
IUPUIHorizonMatt CrenshawTBD
Houston ChristianSouthlandRon Cottrell’sTBD
FairfieldMAACJay YoungChris Casey (INTERIM)
Detroit MercyHorizonMike DavisTBD
DePaulBig EastTony StubblefieldMatt Brady (INTERIM)
Coastal CarolinaSun BeltCliff EllisBenny Moss (INTERIM)
Charleston SouthernBig SouthBarclay RadebaughSaah Nimley
Central ArkansasASUNAnthony BooneTBD
Cal PolyBig WestJohn SmithTBD
BryantAmerica EastJared GrassoPhil Martelli, Jr

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For DePaul, is that the same Matt Brady that did such a great job at JMU?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes...he was the head asst when they fired the head coach a few months back, I think.
DePaul baffles me. What did Stubblefield ever do to deserve a Big East HC job? Pretty rare somesones first HC job is in the Big East right?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
William & MaryCAADane FischerTBD
West VirginiaBig 12Bob HugginsJosh Eilert (INTERIM)
WashingtonBig TenMike Hopkins
Southern IllinoisMissouri ValleyBryan MullinsTBD
PepperdineWCCLorenzo RomarTBD
PacificWCCLeonard PerryTBD
Old DominionSun BeltJeff JonesMike Jones
Ohio StateBig TenChris HoltmannJake Diebler (INTERIM)
Missouri StateMissouri ValleyDana FordTBD
Loyola MarylandPatriot LeagueTavaras HardyTBD
IUPUIHorizonMatt CrenshawTBD
Houston ChristianSouthlandRon Cottrell’sTBD
FairfieldMAACJay YoungChris Casey (INTERIM)
Detroit MercyHorizonMike DavisTBD
Coastal CarolinaSun BeltCliff EllisBenny Moss (INTERIM)
Charleston SouthernBig SouthBarclay RadebaughSaah Nimley
Central ArkansasASUNAnthony BooneTBD
Cal PolyBig WestJohn SmithTBD
BryantAmerica EastJared GrassoPhil Martelli, Jr
Good for ODU. I remember thinking Mike jones would be a good hire for Mason before I ever even heard of Kim English.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Oh, not the Mike Jones who won at Radford and is now at UNCG.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"CONWAY, S.C. – Justin Gray has been named the men's basketball head coach at Coastal Carolina, Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and University Recreation Matt Hogue announced today.

Gray will be formally introduced to the Teal Nation on Thursday, March 14, 2024, at 3:00 ET inside the HTC Center on the campus of Coastal Carolina. The introductory press conference will be carried live on ESPN+.

Gray joins the Chanticleers following a three-year run as the head coach at Western Carolina, where he led the Catamounts to the Southern Conference Tournament semifinals and the College Basketball Invitational in 2023."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Edward Joyner, Jr., a fixture on the Hampton sidelines for the past 15 years, will not have his contract renewed as head basketball coach, it was announced today."

"According to a Field of 68 report, Mercer has parted ways with men’s basketball coach Greg Gary.

Gary had spent the past five seasons at Mercer, where he put together a 81-79 (.506) record. This past season, the Bears went 16-17 (8-10 SoCon). Prior to his time at Mercer, Gary spent eight seasons working as an assistant to Matt Painter at Purdue."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"3
DePaul Blue Demons​

Departing Coach: Tony Stubblefield

Potential Target: Drew Valentine (Loyola Chicago)

DePaul’s quest to find someone local to Chicago who can help them recruit in the area should lead them to Valentine, who was reportedly the youngest head coaching hire in Division 1 when he took over at Loyola Chicago in 2021.

Valentine was an assistant under Porter Moser when the Ramblers went to the Final 4, and after taking over in 2021-22 the program went 25-8 and won the Missouri Valley Conference, even earning a top 25 spot. They stumbled last year, their first in the A10, but tied for first this season despite competing against Dayton, vcu, and UMass.

The Blue Demons would no doubt love to land a young, successful head coach in their own city — it doesn’t get much better than that."

psyclone

Hall of Famer
DePaul has been a bottom dweller for a VERY long time. I don't know their financial resources but I'd think Valentine could do better elsewhere after the year he's had.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Long Beach Athletics Executive Director of Athletics Bobby Smitheran and Head Coach Dan Monson met this morning and agreed to mutually part ways following the conclusion of the season. Monson, who has served as head basketball coach since 2007, will remain as the coach of the team through the postseason including the upcoming Big West Championship, but will not return in 2024-25."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
DePaul has been a bottom dweller for a VERY long time. I don't know their financial resources but I'd think Valentine could do better elsewhere after the year he's had.

Agreed. I would actually be surprised if DePaul had more resources at this point. Certainly they don’t have the fan base of Loyola.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"The men's college basketball coaching carousel truly picked up steam over the weekend, with three firings on Friday -- including a power conference program in Washington -- three more on Sunday and the expected hire of Justin Gray at Coastal Carolina creating another opening at Western Carolina. There will be plenty of movement this week, as the big conferences get their tournaments underway.

There's a bit more urgency for schools to move on coaches either before the season ends or as soon as their teams get eliminated from the postseason, because the transfer portal opening the day after Selection Sunday. The longer a coaching situation stays in flux, the more roster uncertainty it creates."

"As a point of reference, there were 61 job changes last year, 60 in 2022 and 57 in 2021."

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
They do get Big East media money, so it is possible. But if I were Valentine, I’d pass.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

"The men's college basketball coaching carousel truly picked up steam over the weekend, with three firings on Friday -- including a power conference program in Washington -- three more on Sunday and the expected hire of Justin Gray at Coastal Carolina creating another opening at Western Carolina. There will be plenty of movement this week, as the big conferences get their tournaments underway.

There's a bit more urgency for schools to move on coaches either before the season ends or as soon as their teams get eliminated from the postseason, because the transfer portal opening the day after Selection Sunday. The longer a coaching situation stays in flux, the more roster uncertainty it creates."

"As a point of reference, there were 61 job changes last year, 60 in 2022 and 57 in 2021."
So glad we're not in that situation!
Go Coach Tony!!