Coaching Carousel 2023

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There is a lot to be said for comfort level and job security. I could be very happy making 1.7 mill. a year. RVA is a nice place to live, and yeah, making the tourney fairly regularly keeps the fans happy.

State College, PA isn’t a bad town if you like Small Town USA or are all in on PSU (my uncle never left and has been an engineer there since his 20s). I was not a fan of the isolation whenever I went up there.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Didn't penn st play the song sweet Caroline right after Joe Paterno scandal. Stay home Mike! Darn, too late.

Odom to vcu

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Mason can’t do anything right. Try and hire Odom, says no and then turns around and goes to their rival…. Should have just offered Skinn the job in the first place! I have zero faith they can handle anything correctly the amount of bad press and looks that gives off is just incomprehensible. What are they even doing…….

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I just wanted to say Mike Rhodes is a class act. I remember how bad he felt for Otis when fell down in the Game against vcu a number of years ago!

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Mason can’t do anything right. Try and hire Odom, says no and then turns around and goes to their rival…. Should have just offered Skinn the job in the first place! I have zero faith they can handle anything correctly the amount of bad press and looks that gives off is just incomprehensible. What are they even doing…….
I would calm down - per GMUBrian - we are not sure we offered Odom.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
So they made that up? vcu doing it to spite mason knowing he was going there all along? It’s possible I suppose it’s also weird how fast it got done.
The Rhodes-to-Penn St was widely expected for much of the past week. vcu, I'm sure, lined up Odom.

Even assuming Mason offered Odom or even wanted to initiate talks with him, Odom wouldn't be interested as, sad to say, vcu is a better job right now (more sustained success).

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
vcu fans appear to be very happy with the news

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Just saw the AFLAC commercial. Maybe Coach K is regretting his choice and wants to come back into coaching??

masonhoops1984

Role Player
The Rhodes-to-Penn St was widely expected for much of the past week. vcu, I'm sure, lined up Odom.

Even assuming Mason offered Odom or even wanted to initiate talks with him, Odom wouldn't be interested as, sad to say, vcu is a better job right now (more sustained success).
Of course vcu is a better job but that’s where pr comes in and goes along the lines of how Mason can’t handle anything right. If we all know they should know it too. They should also have inside knowledge and handle these situations better. It’s bad for recruiting it’s bad for approaching the next coach etc etc.

patriotchild

Starter
I at least hope we made an offer that drove the price up for vcu. Odom is the closest to a sure bet on the market right now. Given his record of doing more with less, would be shocked if he’s not inflicting pain on the A10 immediately given how zeroed they’ve been on hires.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This may be vcu’s best hire on paper. But even a sure thing isn’t always a sure thing in hiring a coach.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Sad, but true.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The Billy Donovan coaching tree at vcu is over. And so will vcu’s dominance. Remember, Donovan beat Larranaga in the F4.

And the 12 year curse TOC caused to be placed on MasonMBB will be ended by a former Larranaga player taking over as HC.

The future is bright.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Looks like vcu is immediately moving onto Odom. Must be nice. Struggle against vcu during the season, struggle againt vcu in the offseason.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Predicted in another thread he'd end up leaving Utah State for vcu. Too obvious.
It’s why the “Odom to USF” chatter came to a screeching halt … I’m sure vcu’s admin saw he was trying to come back to the east coast and offered a better gig than AAC bottom-feeder