Coaching Carousel 2023

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I dislike Courtney being in the mix but I will say do you think he holds any value in the NIL area given what he's seen unfold at Miami being an assistant there? Could that be an asset to help to get that going in the right direction at Mason? That's probably the only way I could sell this guy to myself.
I think it's highly unlikely -- most likely that there are just some deep pocketed Miami alum who want to see their basketball team succeed more than anything Courtney did there. It's nowhere close to a 1:1 comparison on our schools NIL situations where any experience he might have gained at Miami would be applicable.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I dislike Courtney being in the mix but I will say do you think he holds any value in the NIL area given what he's seen unfold at Miami being an assistant there? Could that be an asset to help to get that going in the right direction at Mason? That's probably the only way I could sell this guy to myself.
Miami's NIL "secret" is that they have a billionaire willing to spend a few million on student athletes. I'm not sure what Courtney brings to the table unless it's a list of billionaires willing to follow in LifeWallet-Ruiz' footsteps.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No worries. We're all anxious.
Paulsen was fired on March 16. English was hired March 23. However, the search for DP's replacement may have already been underway before DP was canned. KE left quickly as a surprise, so there was likely no shot at a head start. My point is, it takes at least a week to hire a new coach. I say Thursday 2:30PM.

Gotta love our fans finding one Twitter hack mentioning our name with XYZ assistant coach and running with it like it's gospel.
Hey sparky, did you read what I wrote?

I clearly said it was a twitter rumor. I didn't make it up.

Perhaps Twitter needs to go back to policing unsubtantiated rumors?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I dunno if Bill was a good fit in the ivy. He clearly could recruit two final four rosters at Mason and Miami respectively. Would of been interesting if he was in say the caa or mac as his first hc gig.

We can make a splash with either hire on Final Four week. Just a matter if we are scarred from the young HC ordeal.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Most men would.

I don’t know. He’s making 1.7 now, which is a little more than half. He could stay at vcu pretty much forever so long as he gets to the tournament every 2-3 years.

Penn State will have expectations but they don’t really fund the basketball program like they should relative to their conference (they are dead last in the Big 10). And you’ve got UCLA and USC coming in on top of it. This is why both DeChelis and now Shrewsberry have left.

It would be a big risk/benefit analysis for me. Can I can do enough to get a bigger job and not stagnate and then get fired eventually?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t know. He’s making 1.7 now, which is a little more than half. He could stay at vcu pretty much forever so long as he gets to the tournament every 2-3 years.

Penn State will have expectations but they don’t really fund the basketball program like they should relative to their conference (they are dead last in the Big 10). And you’ve got UCLA and USC coming in on top of it. This is why both DeChelis and now Shrewsberry have left.

It would be a big risk/benefit analysis for me. Can I can do enough to get a bigger job and not stagnate and then get fired eventually?
Rhoades is 50. Say Penn State offers him a 5-year deal at $3.2M, that is $16M guaranteed. If it doesn’t work out he’ll have more than enough $ to go sit on a beach and never have to work again.

Also Penn State’s offer is rumored to be $1M a year more than vcu’s. Over the course of the contract that is $5M … honestly not sure why anybody in Rhoades’ position would turn that down.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

There is a lot to be said for comfort level and job security. I could be very happy making 1.7 mill. a year. RVA is a nice place to live, and yeah, making the tourney fairly regularly keeps the fans happy.

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
Why would our Final Four team be screaming for Tony if they didn't think he would take or could handle the job? The only 3 persons that can prevent Tony from becoming HC at Mason imo are, his wife, Coach L, and Tony himself.

Wife I don't know.
Listening to Coach L reference Mason all this week and specifically about how he told Jordan Miller to ask people at Mason if he could fit into his program at Miami, I would say he still likes us enough to endorse Tony coming here.

Tony's comments are well documented about Mason.
You mean from our podcast? Well aware of what was said then. I'm not ruling out Tony to Mason to be clear. There are good reasons he could well pass on it was the point.