2024 Transfer Portal - Potential Incoming and General Discussion

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't think it's totally out of the question but I know that it would take considerable resources.
Season 19 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't think it's totally out of the question but I know that it would take considerable resources.
What an interesting time to be a college basketball coach. Do you wait around to see if some other school will hit a portal target’s requested NIL number, or do you move on to somebody who is already in your price range?

While it seems clear a lot of kids are not getting close to the $ they expect when they decide to go in the portal, it’s still a delicate dance — if you wait for one kid you might lose 4-5 others who could help you and would be glad to take what you’re offering.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Now this would be interesting to see if he did transfer to Duquesne

"If Bronny James decides to return to college and transfer elsewhere, Duquesne is expected to be among his prominent considerations, sources said. Duquesne's new coach, Dru Joyce, was a high school teammate of LeBron's and a longtime James family friend. Joyce was promoted to head coach after Keith Dambrot retired following an Atlantic 10 championship and a run to the NCAA tournament. Dambrot was the high school coach of James and Joyce at St. Vincent-St. Mary in Akron, Ohio."

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Showing interest in a bunch of guards of late:

Kolby King - Tulane (38% from 3 this season)
Eric Acker - LIU (their Okojie, young rising PG)
Jamarii Thomas - Norfolk St (MEAC POY)
Acker would be a great add. Lots of A-10 interest including Bona and Dayton.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just saw on Twitter that Thomas is looking to set up visits to Mason, Iowa and Cal
GEORGE MASON: “They are one of the schools that is guaranteeing me minutes. They need a point guard who can come off ball screens. Their offense is based on getting into screens and they need a guard who can get downhill and make decisions out of the ball screen. They tell me they like my defensive intensity.”
“I’m hearing a good bit from vcu and East Carolina too,” Thomas said. “Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Colorado, and Cincinnati are some other schools I’ve heard from too.”

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
GEORGE MASON: “They are one of the schools that is guaranteeing me minutes. They need a point guard who can come off ball screens. Their offense is based on getting into screens and they need a guard who can get downhill and make decisions out of the ball screen. They tell me they like my defensive intensity.”
“I’m hearing a good bit from vcu and East Carolina too,” Thomas said. “Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Colorado, and Cincinnati are some other schools I’ve heard from too.”
I find that entire passage interesting for obvious reasons

KAOriginal

All-American
What an interesting time to be a college basketball coach. Do you wait around to see if some other school will hit a portal target’s requested NIL number, or do you move on to somebody who is already in your price range?

While it seems clear a lot of kids are not getting close to the $ they expect when they decide to go in the portal, it’s still a delicate dance — if you wait for one kid you might lose 4-5 others who could help you and would be glad to take what you’re offering.

It's like old school dating world ...you had to scan the bar/dance club and make snap decisions on targets.....never want to be empty handed after about 11pm waiting for last call .....

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So does that mean as a starter or role player? Trying to get another slasher/ball handler on the floor?

Who knows? But after Hall quit on the team we had some success with Okojie and Polite starting together so it could be that kind of scenario.

I said we knew we were a better team next year if Billups was coming off the bench. We will see what happens at the 2/3 spots.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Fantastic thank you...I know Tony has learned his lesson this time around!

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Fantastic thank you...I know Tony has learned his lesson this time around!
hindsight is obviously 20/20 in all situations, but I applaud Tony for taking a shot on a talented basketball player. I hope we do it again. Try to put the best team in the court that we can. As a coach it’s a good lesson for him in how to manage players and where his own strengths, weaknesses, and areas for growth as a coach are.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
hindsight is obviously 20/20 in all situations, but I applaud Tony for taking a shot on a talented basketball player. I hope we do it again. Try to put the best team in the court that we can. As a coach it’s a good lesson for him in how to manage players and where his own strengths, weaknesses, and areas for growth as a coach are.
Sure, but the best team doesn’t always mean just rolling out the most “talented” players. As Hurley noted he and his staff passed on some elite talents because they suspected the kid and/or his family was gonna be a giant pain in the a**.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think there is a very good chance that 1) all in all we had a more successful season with Key, then we would have without, last year; and 2) we could be better without him next season vs with him.

I sincerely doubt we reach 20 wins without the impressive scoring and rebounding stats he put up.