2023 Transfer Portal Thread

Not much of a surprise to me. He couldn’t break in over Blake (which is a problem considering Blake’s play not exactly being stellar) and with Ticket coming back and Blake probably staying and yeah the potential new competition at his position coming in, the ability to get on the floor was a tough hill to climb.
Eh, figured he'd give it another year, but that's life.

Now we're on Oduro(s?) watch and Blake Watch imo. Everyone else is here to be here imo and would be a surprise.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not creating rumors. Just reading between the lines. Didn't seem like KE mentioned him in anything during the season despite hurting his elbow in excitement when he committed. Maybe he wasn't as good as he thought? With Felton being the lead guy I am skeptical on anyone he recruits since the whole thing down south. Overall, it just seems odd we tried so hard to get him and now he is leaving. Hard to believe he got offered by P5's and not good enough to redshirt.
I think you are missing two things:

Do you really expect a coach to come out and say that a player just really wasn't as good as he thought? I don't think that would help with current and future recruits. Coach told you everything you seem to be hoping he will admit publicly with his actions by not giving him many minutes. So much for reading between the lines.

Redshirting seems to have dropped off significantly since the portal. And, for the most part, it benefits the player more than the team unless you really think a player is going to pan out big and be worth 5 scholarship years. Otherwise, it costs you the same scholarship whether the player sits or not. Again, there are some lines you appear to not be reading between.

It didn't work out the way either player or coach expected and now he is looking for a better fit. I suggest we leave it at that and wish him well wherever he lands.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
Not surprised. He got very little playing time and didn't exactly do much when he did play. I suppose we should not be surprised by anyone entering the portal who was not close to being in the rotation.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not creating rumors. Just reading between the lines. Didn't seem like KE mentioned him in anything during the season despite hurting his elbow in excitement when he committed. Maybe he wasn't as good as he thought? With Felton being the lead guy I am skeptical on anyone he recruits since the whole thing down south. Overall, it just seems odd we tried so hard to get him and now he is leaving. Hard to believe he got offered by P5's and not good enough to redshirt.
Almost nobody redshirts anymore other than for injuries. It would’ve been nice to see what Elvis could do at Mason if he had decided to stay and keep developing his game, but he chose to go in a different direction.

Considering there were 170 names in the portal on the first day, kinda ridiculous to cast aspersions on KE every time one of our players transfers out.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Almost nobody redshirts anymore other than for injuries. It would’ve been nice to see what Elvis could do at Mason if he had decided to stay and keep developing his game, but he chose to go in a different direction.

Considering there were 170 names in the portal on the first day, kinda ridiculous to cast aspersions on KE every time one of our players transfers out.

It was Felton I was tossing the aspersions to Jimbo. Regardless, I hate losing athletic guys who had offers to Az and Providence. We still have Blake who was supposed to be a PAC12 guy but due to back log from pandemic, we got him. Im hoping for a huge jump for him next year.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I liked what I saw the few times he got in.
I did not like what I saw basketballwise when he got in. I assume that is all it was. Tough for these freshmen competing with grad students with extra years of eligibility, especially post players. I feel bad for them. But that's the way it goes these days.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think you are missing two things:

Do you really expect a coach to come out and say that a player just really wasn't as good as he thought? I don't think that would help with current and future recruits. Coach told you everything you seem to be hoping he will admit publicly with his actions by not giving him many minutes. So much for reading between the lines.

Redshirting seems to have dropped off significantly since the portal. And, for the most part, it benefits the player more than the team unless you really think a player is going to pan out big and be worth 5 scholarship years. Otherwise, it costs you the same scholarship whether the player sits or not. Again, there are some lines you appear to not be reading between.

It didn't work out the way either player or coach expected and now he is looking for a better fit. I suggest we leave it at that and wish him well wherever he lands.
Thats a great point on the red shirting. I did miss that.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I don't know if that is entirely true. Seems like most A-10 programs redshirted someone last year. How many of those were due to health issues? I don't follow the rest of the conference closely enough to know.

What value did we get out of the scholarship used for last year? Can't get that year of eligibility back, but you can always kick them to the curb later on. Same with Peter Oduro. Could always tell him to grad transfer if he isn't worth the scholarship in 3 years. Redshirting him wouldn't change that timeline. Better for the player, no harm to the team.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know if that is entirely true. Seems like most A-10 programs redshirted someone last year. How many of those were due to health issues? I don't follow the rest of the conference closely enough to know.

What value did we get out of the scholarship used for last year? Can't get that year of eligibility back, but you can always kick them to the curb later on. Same with Peter Oduro. Could always tell him to grad transfer if he isn't worth the scholarship in 3 years. Redshirting him wouldn't change that timeline. Better for the player, no harm to the team.
Why waste a year redshirting someone who can leave at a moment’s notice? Get what you can from guys while you have them — if they’re not good enough that will take care of itself one way or the other.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Why waste a year redshirting someone who can leave at a moment’s notice? Get what you can from guys while you have them — if they’re not good enough that will take care of itself one way or the other.
Because a year of eligibility 4 years from now might be worth more than a year of eligibility now (when they don't play). Were the 9 minutes of game time for Nnaji worth a year of eligibility? Were the 3 minutes for Peter worth it?

Not the right call for the player nor the program IMO.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I wish the best to Elvis. He and Peter helped lead a great bench mob this year with incredible energy. He always had a smile on his face and was incredibly engaging for a freshman. The game just seemed a little too quick for him when he did get some run, but his effort and intensity were never in question. Hope he lands somewhere where he can get some minutes and that runs a backdoor lob play for him.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Because a year of eligibility 4 years from now might be worth more than a year of eligibility now (when they don't play). Were the 9 minutes of game time for Nnaji worth a year of eligibility? Were the 3 minutes for Peter worth it?

Not the right call for the player nor the program IMO.
A year of eligibility almost certainly will be worth more 4 years from now. But why would you take on the expense of recruiting somebody and giving them a scholarship, then purposely preserve a year of eligibility that can benefit another school as soon as the very next season? In that scenario you absorb all the cost and receive no benefit.

With the free transfer rules, redshirting for anything but injury makes zero sense in most cases.

illayin

Sixth Man
the only chance to say this with any relevant context, so here it goes...

Elvis has left the building

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I watched Elvis in summer league. Very athletic and thrived in low structured/playground games like Kenner. Watched him struggle within a team concept at the open scrimmage. Gifted athlete, seems like a nice young man, I wish him all the best.

Last edited: