2023 Transfer Portal Thread

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Blake Jones gave me the cherished memory of him shushing the crowd at UMd after splashing down a damaging three-point shot. Maryland goes on to lose at home to Mason. Jones's index finger crossing his mouth to the Terrapin faithful was PRICELESS! Thanks Blake!! Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

Good luck, sir!

nzhoops

Walk-On
Can't fault him really. Can you imagine having to deal with 3 different coaches in 4 years. I just hope we can field a decent team next year.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Can't fault him really. Can you imagine having to deal with 3 different coaches in 4 years. I just hope we can field a decent team next year.
Very smart move by Ronnie. There's nothing saying that he or any other current player on our roster can't enter the portal and still return to Mason (see Josh Oduro two years ago). It just gives them the option to test the water elsewhere while still waiting to see who we hire and if that new coach offers them a scholarship.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We have four already in the portal (five if Josh goes that route, but he's leaving us with remaining eligibility anyway he slices it). Three more and that's over half the team's scholarship players. Whoever enters the portal is likely not going to return.

I wish I could enter the portal. We gonna be suck this year.

Last edited:

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
My concern - most of these players will not play in the NBA, what is their path to graduation with a college degree, and how will a transfer affect that? especially if you are a senior or junior.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My concern - most of these players will not play in the NBA, what is their path to graduation with a college degree, and how will a transfer affect that? especially if you are a senior or junior.
That's up to what a player values.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
but what you value as a 17-21 year old is likely to be different from what you value as a 40-50 year old
if you spend 5 or 6 years in college playing basketball and dont get a degree then you have screwed yourself
I dont think is possible given NCAA requirements

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
but what you value as a 17-21 year old is likely to be different from what you value as a 40-50 year old
if you spend 5 or 6 years in college playing basketball and dont get a degree then you have screwed yourself
Values guide decisions. Each individual makes their own decisions. Others can influence decisions, but they're really up to oneself. The paths are generally there, they just have to be chosen.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
8-10 wins is honestly likely the realistic goal. The fans need to realize that and the school needs to realize that. This is more than likely a start from scratch program. There’s a good chance they have to recruit 13 players even if that’s 2-3 that come back. They will have to try and convince them something will be different?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
8-10 wins is honestly likely the realistic goal. The fans need to realize that and the school needs to realize that. This is more than likely a start from scratch program. There’s a good chance they have to recruit 13 players even if that’s 2-3 that come back. They will have to try and convince them something will be different?
Completely disagree. Kim’s first season win total is the watermark. If he could do it, and you all seem to think he was an average coach, why can’t his replacement? During his turnover we brought back one starter, everyone else was recruited.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Right now (8:20 AM on 3/24) we have the following. I understand the frosh may decommit and others may enter the portal. "Current" line-up with some that may be out of position.

1- Dinkins & Marsh
2 - White
3 - Barron & Ball
4 - Gaines
5 - Henry & Ojiako

Not really counting on P Oduro to be much of a factor in any line-up.

Right now (8:20 AM on 3/24) we have the following. I understand the frosh may decommit and others may enter the portal. "Current" line-up with some that may be out of position.

1- Dinkins & Marsh
2 - White
3 - Barron & Ball
4 - Gaines
5 - Henry & Ojiako

Not really counting on P Oduro to be much of a factor in any line-up.
lol, time to start anew

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We are no different than any other team who just lost its coach.

New coach will re-recruit existing players and commitments. Some will stay Patriots. He will convince some of the players who he was recruiting at his last job to commit at his new school. Likely some players wanted to play at Maryland (assuming Tony is the new HC) but they didn't get an offer. Unlike DP, Tony was recruiting high major players, so there is a good chance they will be better players. Maybe there are a few players at Maryland that have been recruited over and would follow Tony.

I am not expecting an A-10 championship season next year, but no reason to assume it will be a complete dumpster fire.