2023 Transfer Portal Thread

patriotchild

Starter
Jared Bynum of Providence is in the portal, from Rockville. Let's get Tony on Board and get that dude a helluva NIL package. I'd be willing to put my entire patriot club donation towards it. Gold room is too crowded and can never get food anyway.
Know this was said somewhat in jest, but is it possible for PC donations to go to NIL packages? Or something like this?

This would be a game changer if we could do this since we don’t have a ton of big time donors/boosters. I’d gladly give up the food in the GR (maybe not the beer and some cheap snacks) and the giveaways if it meant we could be competitive for NIL.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Know this was said somewhat in jest, but is it possible for PC donations to go to NIL packages? Or something like this?

This would be a game changer if we could do this since we don’t have a ton of big time donors/boosters. I’d gladly give up the food in the GR (maybe not the beer and some cheap snacks) and the giveaways if it meant we could be competitive for NIL.

Not sure, but we do have a collective you can join, https://patriotnationcollective.com/ and apparently the AD started something called PhenomeNIL Patriots: https://express.adobe.com/page/AUAlG9a1IfOZF/

patriotchild

Starter
Yeah but if we need to get creative to get NIL money are the PC donations a way of doing that? Right now it doesn’t seem like most people are going to dish out a few k for tickets and donations and then separately buy into that collective since is pretty much like being in the PC anyway.

If you can split funds from the PC you may get more season ticket holders and expand the pool contributing to NIL.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah but if we need to get creative to get NIL money are the PC donations a way of doing that? Right now it doesn’t seem like most people are going to dish out a few k for tickets and donations and then separately buy into that collective since is pretty much like being in the PC anyway.

If you can split funds from the PC you may get more season ticket holders and expand the pool contributing to NIL.
Fairly certain NIL money can not come from the school. You can donate to the collective instead of the PC, but the PC can not use their funds (since they are a part of the school) to go towards. That would be direct pay for play, instead you gotta do it the Miami way and have billionaires pay the players instead.

Much more effective too. ✋

patriotchild

Starter
Fairly certain NIL money can not come from the school. You can donate to the collective instead of the PC, but the PC can not use their funds (since they are a part of the school) to go towards. That would be direct pay for play, instead you gotta do it the Miami way and have billionaires pay the players instead.

Much more effective too. ✋
Make sense. So what’s more valuable in the long run, PC donations or the NIL collective? Would be great if the AD gave a 101 on this to ticket holders/donors and fans. Could help us make more informed decisions about how we donate/support.

Just trying to think how we could emphasize NIL vs. Traditional donate to “The program”. The current tier system for the collective doesn’t really favor micro donations/funding which seems like it’s necessary until we get alum walking in with bags of cash. I’m sure a bunch of season ticket holders can’t or don’t want to shell out another $300 or 2.5k after season tickets and the PC donations but would want to contribute NIL if it’s critical to success.

gmuballer14

Sixth Man
If he’s interested in them, I can guarantee those conversations have happened. Good news is Cornish doesn’t visit Bona for two weeks … a lot can happen in that time lol
Why do we want him and Hart so bad? Stats and recruiting don't look that spectacular.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
No chance all of this happens, but consider the possibilities:

Bynum (Maryland native) at PG
Brandon Murray (Baltimore kid transferring out of Georgetown) at SG
Ike Cornish at SF
Hakim Hart in the Jordan Miller role as small-ball 4
Either Malik stays around to start at the 5 or find somebody in the portal

That’s a lineup that could do damage in the A-10

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Make sense. So what’s more valuable in the long run, PC donations or the NIL collective? Would be great if the AD gave a 101 on this to ticket holders/donors and fans. Could help us make more informed decisions about how we donate/support.

Just trying to think how we could emphasize NIL vs. Traditional donate to “The program”. The current tier system for the collective doesn’t really favor micro donations/funding which seems like it’s necessary until we get alum walking in with bags of cash. I’m sure a bunch of season ticket holders can’t or don’t want to shell out another $300 or 2.5k after season tickets and the PC donations but would want to contribute NIL if it’s critical to success.
A couple of tidbits related to this sub-thread:

The collective is working on the possibility of accepting one time donations in different amounts than it currently accepts.

The patriot collective is currently a completely volunteer run enterprise. There is no support from the school. Not blessed by the school yet in any way. Likely impacted by the lack of a permanent AD. When it was first created, we were ahead of the game relative to A10 schools. It appears, though, that other A10 schools have now started up theirs, been blessed by their ADs and moving past us with the support of their ADs.

Donations to the patriot club and NIL collective are completely separate with no relation to one another in any way. Donations to the PC can be targeted to a specific team or to PC in general, and I believe on occasion to some sort of project.

Where should you put your money? Follow your intuition. The NIL collective absolutely needs more support so we can compete against our peers in the A10, plus it is a good cause in my mind, going directly to help our students. The PC needs it, too. I suggest both (duh). Keep supporting PC, buy season tickets, come to games. If you have the capability to give a little more, give to the NIL as well. Hopefully, it will soon be able to support custom donations.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A couple of tidbits related to this sub-thread:

The collective is working on the possibility of accepting one time donations in different amounts than it currently accepts.

The patriot collective is currently a completely volunteer run enterprise. There is no support from the school. Not blessed by the school yet in any way. Likely impacted by the lack of a permanent AD. When it was first created, we were ahead of the game relative to A10 schools. It appears, though, that other A10 schools have now started up theirs, been blessed by their ADs and moving past us with the support of their ADs.

Donations to the patriot club and NIL collective are completely separate with no relation to one another in any way. Donations to the PC can be targeted to a specific team or to PC in general, and I believe on occasion to some sort of project.

Where should you put your money? Follow your intuition. The NIL collective absolutely needs more support so we can compete against our peers in the A10, plus it is a good cause in my mind, going directly to help our students. The PC needs it, too. I suggest both (duh). Keep supporting PC, buy season tickets, come to games. If you have the capability to give a little more, give to the NIL as well. Hopefully, it will soon be able to support custom donations.

I understand the need for the PC (and with the current situation, I hate that the Patriot Collective and Providence College have the same acronym ... wait, wrong thread) to help compete for players, but it feels pretty dirty when you give money to players who then turn their back on the school, see JF. At least JO gave 4 years.
We've talked before and you may recall I'm not a fan of the whole NIL thing, so I begin with a jaded view of the whole thing. So it's hard for me to give to both.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I understand the need for the PC (and with the current situation, I hate that the Patriot Collective and Providence College have the same acronym ... wait, wrong thread) to help compete for players, but it feels pretty dirty when you give money to players who then turn their back on the school, see JF. At least JO gave 4 years.
We've talked before and you may recall I'm not a fan of the whole NIL thing, so I begin with a jaded view of the whole thing. So it's hard for me to give to both.
You can dislike it all you want, but it is the way things are now. If all our fans were to take your approach , we would most definitely become a continual bottom feeder in the A10.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You can dislike it all you want, but it is the way things are now. If all our fans were to take your approach , we would most definitely become a continual bottom feeder in the A10.
Agreed - you cant complain about a situation on one hand and then moan about actually doing something about it.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
it feels pretty dirty when you give money to players who then turn their back on the school, see JF. At least JO gave 4 years.
One other point in regards to this. Your Patriot Club donations potentially went with them similarly since when you donate to the Patriot Club "you are investing in the future of our student-athletes by funding scholarships..." Quoted portion from the Patriot Club site.

See other discussions on this site and there might be a debate on whether he turned his back on us or Mason turned it's collective back on him first by not fully supporting our program/coach fully.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One other point in regards to this. Your Patriot Club donations potentially went with them similarly since when you donate to the Patriot Club "you are investing in the future of our student-athletes by funding scholarships..." Quoted portion from the Patriot Club site.

See other discussions on this site and there might be a debate on whether he turned his back on us or Mason turned it's collective back on him first by not fully supporting our program/coach fully.
Great info. Thanks, Brian. Many of my questions answered.

OP
B

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

Speaking of collective, if you follow him on Twitter still, notice that the link he has in his profile is for Providence's NIL collective...