2023 Transfer Portal Thread

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lots of names out there now ... Anglin
Rileysome just up the road at Georgetown, too!
at least 3 from GU
Anglin
Riley
Bass
i believe at least 1 more is coming
but some of those guys may be stuck there as they have already transferred once

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
at least 3 from GU
Anglin
Riley
Bass

NCAA will probably pass out waivers because their coach was fired. One and done in theory but not practice.

What we really need is a scoring two guard. I trust RP to be more than serviceable at the 1, Justyn at 3, Ticket at the 4 and one of Malik or Ginika at the 5. Need a SG baaaadly though, and one that can score. That's where we need the portal.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
at least 3 from GU
Anglin
Riley
Bass
add Spears to that list
I still believe at least one more is coming

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What we really need is a scoring two guard. I trust RP to be more than serviceable at the 1, Justyn at 3, Ticket at the 4 and one of Malik or Ginika at the 5. Need a SG baaaadly though, and one that can score. That's where we need the portal.

A scoring wing, yeah. Could be a SG or SF since Fernandez can play either the 2 or 3.

But if we get no one, you are looking at starting Dinkins at the 1 and playing Polite off ball or relying on the freshmen (at least 2 of them) to play big minutes, one of them starting. And that’s scary.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A scoring wing, yeah. Could be a SG or SF since Fernandez can play either the 2 or 3.

But if we get no one, you are looking at starting Dinkins at the 1 and playing Polite off ball or relying on the freshmen (at least 2 of them) to play big minutes, one of them starting. And that’s scary.
So I actually don’t hate the idea of playing Ronny off the ball. I really think he’s at his best driving the lane and making things happen and his spot up shot has become serviceable, but he still struggles with on ball pressure and handling a press. Slide Ronnie to the 2 and grab a stud PG in the portal and I think you are starting to look at a top 4 roster in the A10.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So I actually don’t hate the idea of playing Ronny off the ball. I really think he’s at his best driving the lane and making things happen and his spot up shot has become serviceable, but he still struggles with on ball pressure and handling a press. Slide Ronnie to the 2 and grab a stud PG in the portal and I think you are starting to look at a top 4 roster in the A10.
We lose 2 double-figure scorers on the wing in Cooper and VJ. Don’t see Ronny as the answer to that at all — keep him as a scoring PG, add a bucket-getting wing, slot in JF on the other wing, bring Ticket back and that’s starting to look like the core of a top-4 contender. Maybe.

Lots of uncertainty with the roster, though. Likely will have 3 sophomores and 3 incoming freshmen taking up almost half of the 13 scholarships.

Not sure if the Ginika/Malik combo at the 5 is enough, or if both/either/neither are planning to stay.

Since we’ve already been mentioned as contacting a 6-9 PF from Washington, pretty clear at least one of the bigs is leaving.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Obviously someone is going to be gone considering we have been after Elijah Strong, Jordan Marsh, and Yalaho for the past few weeks. We also were linked to that big that @gmujim92 mentioned

No idea how it will shake up, but there will be attrition like coach suggested in some way. The big ones are obviously Ticket and Josh, then Peter since hes a package deal. Then we see who else.

We will be younger next year for sure, so I would like to see a transfer or two that maybe has 2 or 3 years left to help bridge the youth.

Last edited:

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The new March Madness
and ultimately i dont think this is good
as large numbers of these students will end up without scholarships and little chance to complete a college degree
and most are not pro material

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops

BREAKING: The portal has set a record. 173 players have gone portaling so far today. ONE. HUNDRED. SEVENTY. THREE. And the portal isn't done yet. BYU's Haochen Dong just went portaling moments ago. Congrats, Haochen. You are No. 173 of the day.

View: https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1635407224821497862?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1635407224821497862%7Ctwgr%5E4114da3dc2927f15da909bdc9f2ff4a1e3af1947%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fhoyatalk2.proboards.com%2Fthread%2F30244%2Ftransfers%3Fpage%3D260

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Curious how many of these players are using their COVID years? I don’t think we will know what the normal portal will look like until all these extra seasons are cycled through. Am I right that Polite and Henry’s class is the last one with an extra year of eligibility or is it this senior class (Ticket/Oduro?)

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I’m tired of wing players. Don’t get me wrong, If we can get a really good one I would be thrilled. But I kinda want a guy who is dominant at one position like oduro. Usually wings are just ok at everything but not great at anything.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m tired of wing players. Don’t get me wrong, If we can get a really good one I would be thrilled. But I kinda want a guy who is dominant at one position like oduro. Usually wings are just ok at everything but not great at anything.
Wings since Hewitt arrived. I agree.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I think we may be about to see KE's version of the 2-year season. . . And it kind of makes sense. If Josh and Ticket leave, the roster is in no state to compete with the top of the A-10. The extra covid eligibility will be over in a couple years, and it might be a good thing to be invested in the classes beneath that mark.

Otherwise, a cleaning of house would be needed to make a splash in the transfer market. It could happen, and KE did it last year. Still, kicking DP's players to the curb is a bit different than doing it to your own recruits.