2023-24 Women's Basketball

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sucks the Richmond win didn't improve our NET more, but I guess it is hard to this late in the season. Given all 3 of us are "next 4/8 out" teams, I think it is going to be very unlikely to get an at large.

Maybe if we win out, beat SJU in semi's and lose to Richmond in finals, or vice versa?

If either Richmond or St. joes or both can sneak into the top 50 range they’ll both be quad 1 games on a neutral site. So if any of the top 3 teams meet in the finals maybe a second sneaks in? It’ll be a razors edge though, similar to last year with UMass not making it.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If either Richmond or St. joes or both can sneak into the top 50 range they’ll both be quad 1 games on a neutral site. So if any of the top 3 teams meet in the finals maybe a second sneaks in? It’ll be a razors edge though, similar to last year with UMass not making it.
A couple of the last four in/first four out who are ahead of us lost last weekend. Gotta think we're in "first four out" territory now. Absolutely gotta have Dayton at home and then at least one more win. Probably two.

Edit: Lol ESPN updated it and we somehow dropped out altogether.

Last edited:

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
A couple of the last four in/first four out who are ahead of us lost last weekend. Gotta think we're in "first four out" territory now. Absolutely gotta have Dayton at home and then at least one more win. Probably two.

Edit: Lol ESPN updated it and we somehow dropped out altogether.
Yup lol

Richmond auto bid
St. Joseph's next four out
Mason probably after that XD

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yup lol

Richmond auto bid
St. Joseph's next four out
Mason probably after that XD

Maybe there were some change ups with at large teams falling out of first place in their conference to non at-large teams, so it actually shrunk the bubble.

We are still in the conversation, which in and of itself is amazing.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Maybe there were some change ups with at large teams falling out of first place in their conference to non at-large teams, so it actually shrunk the bubble.

We are still in the conversation, which in and of itself is amazing.
I'm not gonna pretend to be a women's basketball expert, but it seems to be like there's less nuance to the selection process than on the men's side. Just seems to be "take the top 64 NET rankings" and be done with it. Entire top 25 sans one is P5. Auburn and A&M are both sub-500 in conference and ahead of us.

Sucks the Richmond win didn't improve our NET more, but I guess it is hard to this late in the season. Given all 3 of us are "next 4/8 out" teams, I think it is going to be very unlikely to get an at large.

Maybe if we win out, beat SJU in semi's and lose to Richmond in finals, or vice versa?
If we don’t win the A10 do you think we can at least get a 7 seed to the NIT like we did in 2009?

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Last Home Game vs Dayton
Only 10 in uniform
8 player rotation
Very slow Q1
Dayton is much taller when the 4 guard lineup is on the floor

Mason up 10-6 end of Q1

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can finish as high as 2nd if we beat vcu and st. Joes loses on the road to Duquense. I think if Mason wins the last game the worst they can do is finish 3rd behind Richmond and Joes.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
1709181550749.png

4 of these 5 teams will receive a bye in the playoffs
1) Richmond
2) Winner of GMU @ vcu
3) haven't done the math to figure out the last 2

vcu is tough at home
all but one of the GMU losses are on the road

Side note -GMU will play 29 games this season instead of 31
Div II games not included in W-L totals?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
View attachment 2142

4 of these 5 teams will receive a bye in the playoffs
1) Richmond
2) Winner of GMU @ vcu
3) haven't done the math to figure out the last 2

vcu is tough at home
all but one of the GMU losses are on the road

Side note -GMU will play 29 games this season instead of 31
Div II games not included in W-L totals?

I’m pretty sure the top 4 is set, just not the order. If we lose to vcu and Duquesne beats St. Joes you’ll have:

1. Richmond 16-2 (I refuse to believe they will lose to the Bonnies)
2. vcu 15-3
3 St. Joes 14-4 (2-1 against tied teams)
4. Mason 14-4 (1-1 against tied teams)
5. Duquesne 14-4 (1-2 against tied teams).

Edit: I guess I didn’t bother to see if Duquesne could sneak into the top 4 if the three-way tie is between Joes, vcu, and Duquesne. And I’m not going to bother because who cares, we finish second in that scenario.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we win out and lose in finals, that would mean 2-3 more quality wins vs top 85 teams, with one of those likely being vs a top 58 team, with the finals loss vs a top 58 team, ideally - with a record of 8-2 over the last 10 games and final record of 25-6, with a Net definitely north of our current #64.