2022 Coaching Carousel

NewPatriot

Starter
Such an inane comment.

Mason’s program was a dumpster fire when Paulsen arrived - and that comparison is an insult to dumpster fires.

While he did not bring the program back to NCAA or NIT tournament, he did bring the program back to respectability.

His success at Williams and Bucknell is unquestioned.

He.brought in josh oduro. Right now, that is what matters.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He.brought in josh oduro. Right now, that is what matters.
Shifting topics...the air got a little thinner for Billy Lange tonight.

SJU had a 12 point lead at the half against LaSalle and extended it to 15 early in the 2nd half, the implosion began. SJU scored 8 WHOLE POINTS the last 16 mins of the game and turned the ball over 5-6 times in the last 10 mins. This is just bad coaching, or a team that has quit of their coach and is just freestyling out there. Either way, Lange should start planning to "spend more time with his family."

There's no question Lange was a worse hire for SJU than Paulsen was for us. Sure, things didn't ultimately work out, but Paulsen at least delivered us some winning seasons and enough to convince many of us that real improvement might be around the corner.

With Lange, there's nothing to suggest he's a capable coach. Zero hope for SJU. He didn't win in 6-7 years at Navy and appears clueless in the A10. The fans and alumni are not only ramping up calls for his immediate dismissal (a la McCall) or calling for BOTH Lange and the AD to be fired. A real blood lust on their boards: https://247sports.com/college/saint-josephs/board/public-forum-105444/

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The Billy Lange hire reminds me a lot of the Paul Hewitt hire. The legend leaves (this time by dubious means) and the guy who replaces him sends the program into the ditch. It’s not quite as bad, considering Martelli didn’t leave Lange with a potential top 25 roster, but they had some fairly recent success. Lange is going to lose 60 games in three years there. That’s astoundingly bad.

They may spend another 5-6 years down there digging themselves out.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The Billy Lange hire reminds me a lot of the Paul Hewitt hire. The legend leaves (this time by dubious means) and the guy who replaces him sends the program into the ditch. It’s not quite as bad, considering Martelli didn’t leave Lange with a potential top 25 roster, but they had some fairly recent success. Lange is going to lose 60 games in three years there. That’s astoundingly bad.

Erik Reynolds II, come on down!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Its pretty wild that there could be some significant coaching turnover in the A10 this year between Lange/Howard/McCall/Cox- and then you throw in that there is still a possibility of Mooney being let go too. Not saying all 5 will be let go but at least 2 or 3 of them may.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Selfishly hope they don’t hire Holloway, he would recruit his a** off at UMass and make them relevant very quickly. Excellent coach — I liked him for the Mason job until a guy named Kim English popped up on our radar.
The more programs in the A10 that are top 25/at large caliber, the better it is for Mason’s program - that’s why we joined the A10.

Es la verdad.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The more programs in the A10 that are top 25/at large caliber, the better it is for Mason’s program - that’s why we joined the A10.

Es la verdad.
Obviously, but this is double edged too. If Umass gets their crap together, theres another team that makes it harder for Mason.

Regardless though, it is better if Umass gets their stuff together as a whole. Stronger league is better, we just as fans then have to suffer through potentially more losses. :(

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Asked a friend of mine at Maryland if the Junkies/Pitino report had any substance to it. He responded "It's not true. The Junkies are the most uninformed Maryland reporters out there."

I still believe it will be Andy Enfield.
I mean Enfield/Williard are certainly the ones that are most linked to the job. I had an idea the other day that actually a guy like Mike Rhoades might make sense for UMD.

I know he has everything he possibly could want at vcu and could stay forever, but a top 20 college basketball job, UMD level resources, a nice pay bump could be really enticing.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Asked a friend of mine at Maryland if the Junkies/Pitino report had any substance to it. He responded "It's not true. The Junkies are the most uninformed Maryland reporters out there."

I still believe it will be Andy Enfield.
Why in gods green earth would Enfield leave USC for Maryland?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Why in gods green earth would Enfield leave USC for Maryland?
Better basketball program (historically, not recently), better conference, deepest recruiting pool on the planet, more money and I think he’s an East Coast guy.

It has been proven you can win an NCAA title at Maryland. Don’t see that ever happening at USC, which will always be a football school and rightfully so.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Better basketball program (historically, not recently), better conference, deepest recruiting pool on the planet, more money and I think he’s an East Coast guy.

It has been proven you can win an NCAA title at Maryland. Don’t see that ever happening at USC, which will always be a football school and rightfully so.
Georgetown must still be a premier program to you old guys lol. Better conference... sure... The PAC 12 and Big Ten are the two most underachieving conferences since the year 2000. From PA correct, but like many other Cali girl wives, I am hearing his wife loves the sunshine of sunny California. He also has a top 5 recruiting class next year with 2 one and done's that should keep USC a top 10 team. In the year 2022 I am not leaving USC for Maryland personally.

Maryland is not set up to win a national championship right now anymore than USC

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Enfield went to Johns Hopkins. Maryland is a much better job than USC. Unless he's just tied to the West Coast now, going from USC to Maryland is a no-brainer.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Georgetown must still be a premier program to you old guys lol. Better conference... sure... The PAC 12 and Big Ten are the two most underachieving conferences since the year 2000. From PA correct, but like many other Cali girl wives, I am hearing his wife loves the sunshine of sunny California. He also has a top 5 recruiting class next year with 2 one and done's that should keep USC a top 10 team. In the year 2022 I am not leaving USC for Maryland personally.

Maryland is not set up to win a national championship right now anymore than USC
With what Maryland is likely offering, Andy will be able to afford to buy Mrs. Enfield a palatial beach house in Cape May or somewhere similar … I’m sure she’d get over leaving Cali lol

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
With what Maryland is likely offering, Andy will be able to afford to buy Mrs. Enfield a palatial beach house in Cape May or somewhere similar … I’m sure she’d get over leaving Cali lol
Hopefully she wouldn't talk to Mrs. Russell Turner about getting over leaving Cali, she didn't exactly agree to leave lol.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Enfield is the best basketball player that Johns Hopkins ever produced. I believe he is still their all time leading scorer

Last edited:

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Obviously, but this is double edged too. If Umass gets their crap together, theres another team that makes it harder for Mason.

Regardless though, it is better if Umass gets their stuff together as a whole. Stronger league is better, we just as fans then have to suffer through potentially more losses. :(
I feel very confident KE will improve our program at a faster rate than a lot of the newbie coaches, so I want the best coaches available hired by A10 teams.