2022 Coaching Carousel

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Pedon has spent the last five seasons at Ohio State after joining the staff in the summer of 2017. In his time with the Buckeyes, OSU has a record of 106-53 with an NCAA tournament berth during each of his seasons in Columbus, with two trips to the NCAA second round."

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

"Pedon has spent the last five seasons at Ohio State after joining the staff in the summer of 2017. In his time with the Buckeyes, OSU has a record of 106-53 with an NCAA tournament berth during each of his seasons in Columbus, with two trips to the NCAA second round."
Tony looking at a promotion, good for him

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"But seriously…FGCU was definitely a bit of a surprise. Michael Fly led his team to a 21-win season, which is after averaging just 11.3 wins/season in the previous three seasons. This is also a trend that I’ve been talking about a lot this March – COVID isn’t saving jobs any more. This will be really apparent at the lower levels. Stay tuned.

Most people believe that Drake assistant Marty Richter will be involved at FGCU – before being hired at Drake in 2018, he was the head coach at Florida SouthWestern (56-10 in 2 seasons) He also spent 4 seasons as an assistant at FGCU (2011-15), and was part of the Eagles 2013 Sweet Sixteen run. Really, really early here though. Will also be interesting to see if AD Ken Kavanaugh wants to stay away from the Enfield/Dooley success, or find someone with ties to the glory days.

A few search firm updates…Collegiate Sports Associates is running the Lafayette search, TurnkeyZRG has UMass, and Parker has Milwaukee.

Speaking of UMass, obviously early there, but some names making the rounds are Carmen Maciariello (Head Coach – Siena), Mark Schmidt (Head Coach – St. Bonaventure), Bashir Mason (Head Coach – Wagner), and Jared Grasso (Head Coach – Bryant), and John Becker (Head Coach – Vermont). However, it is so early here, I expect more legit names to surface next week."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why would Mark Schmidt move from one A-10 school to another? Seems like that would be an editorial omission (yeah, this isn’t happening).

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Why would Mark Schmidt move from one A-10 school to another? Seems like that would be an editorial omission (yeah, this isn’t happening).
He's a Massachusetts native. UMass is a better job. UMass can pay him significantly more. By all accounts he is facing a massive rebuild at Bona after this season. If UMass doesn't want to go the young-recruiter route, Schmidt should receive a call, if he hasn't already.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He's a Massachusetts native. UMass is a better job. UMass can pay him significantly more. By all accounts he is facing a massive rebuild at Bona after this season. If UMass doesn't want to go the young-recruiter route, Schmidt should receive a call, if he hasn't already.
Those are all true, but I have to think if he was going to leave Bonaventure he would go to a different league. They absolutely should call him but I have to think the odds of it happening are low.

I'm very interested at who Umass is going to go after for their job. They certainly are willing to pony up so I have to think it would be either a coach at a BCS level looking to drop a notch or someone who isn't getting paid and wants to raise their salary from a lower level (like a John Becker). Not sure Becker is going to go after it but merely an example.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Those are all true, but I have to think if he was going to leave Bonaventure he would go to a different league. They absolutely should call him but I have to think the odds of it happening are low.

I'm very interested at who Umass is going to go after for their job. They certainly are willing to pony up so I have to think it would be either a coach at a BCS level looking to drop a notch or someone who isn't getting paid and wants to raise their salary from a lower level (like a John Becker). Not sure Becker is going to go after it but merely an example.
John Becker is a dressed down Mark Schmidt. If they don't want Schmidt they certainly aren't targeting Becker

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
John Becker is a dressed down Mark Schmidt. If they don't want Schmidt they certainly aren't targeting Becker
I mean Curry on Twitter was talking about some D2 coach who wins 85% of his games coming to Umass so who knows who will actually interview/show up lol

KAOriginal

All-American
a

Bigger question ...what school with any sense would not have a clause in their coaches contract about being hired away by an in conference rival without serious compensation penalties to be paid from the new school to avoid such a scenario?