2022-2023 Season: Games of Interest - Future Opponents

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Difficult as it may be emotionally, I'm thinking that it's better for us to root for vcu over St. Joe's tonight to create more distance between Mason and the Hawks. They have the head-to-head tiebreaker with us and would only lower our winning % if we wind up in a multi-team tie in the middle of the pack.
You may be right, but I've tried to do things like this in the past and I just can't root for vcu under any circumstances.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Difficult as it may be emotionally, I'm thinking that it's better for us to root for vcu over St. Joe's tonight to create more distance between Mason and the Hawks. They have the head-to-head tiebreaker with us and would only lower our winning % if we wind up in a multi-team tie in the middle of the pack.
I don't have a problem rooting for vcu if it helps GMU out.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We aren’t currently tied with anyone, so winning all of our remaining games does the same thing.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
We aren’t currently tied with anyone, so winning all of our remaining games does the same thing.
Clearly I'm rooting for us to win each of our remaining games. But tonight I need to root for outcomes that will serve Mason's interest in case we don't win all 3.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Clearly I'm rooting for us to win each of our remaining games. But tonight I need to root for outcomes that will serve Mason's interest in case we don't win all 3.

Richmond beating SLU didn’t help much (especially my confidence that we will win that game in Richmond…). There is, what, one game separating us from the PIG?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Richmond beating SLU didn’t help much (especially my confidence that we will win that game in Richmond…). There is, what, one game separating us from the PIG?
There are 5 teams with 7 wins and mason has 8. For mason to fall to 10th, they’d probably have to lose all 3 and then get no help. Even then they have a few tiebreakers so they can’t fall all the way down. Also some schools still go head to head.

Most likely they’ll be in that 6-8 spot, and hopefully more towards 6 tor 7.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The Strategic Point of View

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We are not in the ACC as you all know. Always pull for A 10 out of conference and in conference when it helps us!

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think the last time I rooted for vcu was their Sweet 16 game in 2011.

I did not want them to match or exceed our run. I was fine with them getting as far as the Elite 8.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I would still never do it, but I could see rooting for vcu in a scenario where we had at-large implications and we already had a win over them. But especially this season, where the entire conference is a dumpster fire, at least give me the satisfaction of knowing that vcu fans are unhappy.

The ideal future would be vcu getting some kind of pseudo death penalty, vacated wins, a new president who reroutes all their basketball funding to the School of Finger Painting, and they fumble around one 2-3-4 conf. win season in perpetuity. I sat through enough of their garbage over the years that I wish the entire program would go away.

The fact that we aren't even close to competing with them and that they have made the better basketball decision at every turn is salt in the wound. I want nothing for them but rot.